2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got my sights on a low mileage 2011 Civic. Looks to be fully loaded and in excellent condition.

I've noticed however, that it has a 5-speed manual (it's a 1.8). I've always driven 5-speeds before, but I'm thrown off because a lot of other 8th gen Civics I've seen for sale appear to be 6-speed.

Can anyone tell me if the ratios from gears 1-5 are the same between the 5 and 6 speed boxes, with 6th being a second overdrive, or are they all shorter on the 5-speed? I know on some cars with 6-speed options, they're aimed for motorway economy but sacrifice acceleration compared to 5-speeds. Is this the same case here?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure it's not a 6 speed and previous owner just put 5 speed gear knob on it?
That is a possibility I guess. The only interior shot of the car I have is of the steering wheel, with the gearstick in view on the left. The listing doesn’t mention what gearbox is in the car, but it definitely looks like a 5-speed shifter.

Is the 5-speed not very common then?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
That is a possibility I guess. The only interior shot of the car I have is of the steering wheel, with the gearstick in view on the left. The listing doesn’t mention what gearbox is in the car, but it definitely looks like a 5-speed shifter.

If it is 2011 then very, very unlikely to be 5 speed.
If it an 8gen 1.8 civic then the gears are nicely spaced for a quick get away at one end and decent cruising at the other.
Can you post a link to the advert?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Turns out that despite using a 5-speed my entire driving life, I can't seem to tell the difference between a 5-speed and 6-speed shift pattern.

That's definitely a 6-speed...

In my defence though, I'd only looked at the ad on my phone up until I went on my PC to get to this forum and get the ad to paste here, then saw the higher-resolution picture.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I don´t think this gen has any 5 speed gearbox... Even the 1.4 has a 6 speed... Is there the original gearknob as the picture above??

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Turns out that despite using a 5-speed my entire driving life, I can't seem to tell the difference between a 5-speed and 6-speed shift pattern.

In my defence though, I'd only looked at the ad on my phone up until I went on my PC to get to this forum and get the ad to paste here, then saw the higher-resolution picture.

thats showing 6 gears

1 3 and 5 up top

2, 4, 6 and r bottom

·
Premium Member
773 Posts

That's one reason why I don't have a smart phone - bloody screen is too small for my vision -- PC is much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts