2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as you probably know I picked up the new Civic on Saturday and as of today i've managed to rack up 500 miles already.

I have to say it is a car that I have underestimated in it's ability compared to the 2.2 we have. In essence the 2.2 does nothing more or less than expected. The 1.4 is the opposite, in that it has been a real positive surprise and has exceeded my expectations so far.

For starters it handles a lot better than the diesel, no doubt the extra circa 200 kgs the car has doesn't help. The brakes are much better, again probably down to the weight difference between the 2 cars.

Then there is the fuel economy, the 1.4 matched the diesels very best fuel economy at an avg 43.5 mpg on the first tank and on the second tank it's currently returning an avg 46.0 mpg.

Then we have the performance, ok the diesel wins hands down with it's torque, but the 1.4 is very very good even at low engine revs. I've never driven a petrol car that sits happily at 37 mph in 6th, most of them would have stalled at that point. It's not too keen on steep inclines, but having said that it is a lot better at them than it was at say 200 miles and I suspect only the steepest ones (like coming out of Bath up to the M4) will be it's nemesis.

I looked at the oil situation yesterday and i think it has driunk a little, but i'm going to leave it until the next fuel stop before I top up.

I do however have 1 issue with it, that I don't think i've had with the diesel. The radio and it's ability to tune to a stronger frequency doesn't seam to be working. The AF is definately ON and the REG is definately OFF. Can anyone else offer any advice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Congratulations, I am really pleased that you are enjoying the 1.4 & to think the performance & mpg should get better with more miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm amazed at the low revs my 1.8 GT will run at. I can be doing 26-27mph in 6th gear & at around 1300rpm.
I also managed to get 50.3 mpg on a 70 mile journey from the 1.8.....also amazing!!
Hope you continue to enjoy your new 1.4....I'll keep an eye out for you.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i'm now up to 1,000 miles. I've done a lot more than I wanted/expected to bearing in mind i've opted out of the company car scheme. Hopefully it will calm down soon.

The 2nd tank of esso gave superb economy at over 45 mpg. It now has a tank of Sainsbury's unleaded in it and it's down to around 42.5 mpg. The engine definately improves with every 100 miles that goes on it.

Only issue as mentioned elsewhere is a problem with the radio from time to time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi

I have done 360 miles on 44 litres of fuel. According to the computer it is 39mpg for the 1st tank. It should be 37mpg but that is not bad considering it was all town driving in hilly South Devon.

I had a 2.2 diesel as a loan car when mine had some dealer additions and found that to be not as nice to drive as the 1.4.

The 1.4 handles better, brakes better, and the gear change is lighter and smoother. However the diesel has plenty of low down grunt. I suspect the 1.4 is going to be a lot better on tyres since the engine is 250kg lighter and there is less torque!

It is much better than expected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts