2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Was going to buy a Civic off someone I know. They told me that the car is fine however one issue he mentioned was that if the car is left for about 3-4 days the battery would go flat.

Also the bluetooth isnt working and he believed that the flat battery issue could be due to that.
I have been searching online and seen many different forums regarding the flat battery issue on these cars however not seen any real fixes that has been causing what seems to be a common issue.

Does anyone know what this could be due to?
Personally wouldnt want to buy it if this cant be solved. I'm usually a VW/Audi fan but seen how much can be offered by a Civic but would need this sorted.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also should mention, that no one else has mentioned anything to do with the battery going flat because of the bluetooth causing a charge so I have my doubts that being the cause.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,549 Posts
I think you're right to be concerned.

The Civic does have an underpowered battery considering the electronics (IMO).

The only time I suffered a flat battery was my previous Civic when I left the central interior light on overnight.

Considering I do 40 miles per day in 2 x 20 mile trips my battery is always fully charged so an overnight discharge via a small festoon bulb was totally unexpected.

I can remember 50 years ago my dad using a parking light on his Austin A35 van that could be left running all night and no problem starting in the morning.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Hi,

Was going to buy a Civic off someone I know. They told me that the car is fine however one issue he mentioned was that if the car is left for about 3-4 days the battery would go flat.

Also the bluetooth isnt working and he believed that the flat battery issue could be due to that.
I have been searching online and seen many different forums regarding the flat battery issue on these cars however not seen any real fixes that has been causing what seems to be a common issue.

Does anyone know what this could be due to?
Personally wouldnt want to buy it if this cant be solved. I'm usually a VW/Audi fan but seen how much can be offered by a Civic but would need this sorted.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hi,

I have a 2.2 Sport. I have not had any such issues, but from the sounds of it this is probaly because the car is never left for more than 1 day unused (usually driving every day =))

Can you provide some more info please?
-General Usage/ Miles done per day
-Have you got access to a voltmeter? Check the battery is not losing charge/ could be alternator rather than battery causing issue (unlikely but maybe)
-Is this happening all the time, or is it fine after several longer journeys?

Could always get the AA to check the car over for you? Or look elsewhere to buy a civic :)

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
Defo an electrical problem. I doubt very much that the Bluetooth system will drain the battery.....sounds like he is spinning you a yarn. If he wants to sell to you so badly then he should pay for a service etc. I would try Autotrader instead.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Mine doesn't have this issue mate

It was left for just over a week at my dads work because of some trouble we were having in the area (better safe than sorry!)

When i finally picked it up it fired up like any other day! I did worry about the battery but everything was fine :)

However, my journies are much shorter recently and turn over starts to sound a bit slower than normal sometimes, i just take it for a drive and all is well when it's had a decent chance to charge

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I have a 56 plate EX 2.2 Ctdi myself - 151,000 miles on the clock currently; we left the car unused for almost three weeks when we went to Poland at Christmas and it started first time on our return.

I did have a problem with flat battery after three days of idleness and the key was I had left autolights on; that happened twice and both times I had left autolights on - since ensuring that the stalk is left in the off position when parking up - No problems!

Hope this helps

Dave

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Just had to call out the AA as mine di not even open the doors after sitting for 2 weeks, they tested the battery and told me it needed replacing.

The AA guy told me that this is a very common complaint for civics.

On the hunt for a new one now.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
I recently bought a Bosch one off ebay for a relatives Ford Focus 1.8 TDi, absolutely faultess.

Try the bosch battery selector on their site, or ebay, or Cox Motor Parts for an OEM one.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Drove my car Thursday afternoon. Didn't start it until today and the car doesn't start. (so basically not started for 1 day)
I called Honda and they said they will need to check the battery and MICU as they are aware of an issue with 2006 and 2007 models

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found so many people who experienced this issue with flat batteries. All roads currently lead to software failure of some sort within the MICU (fuse box)

Unfortunately the car isn't in warranty and i had bought it 2nd hand. The issue persisted when I bought the car.
So if I want it fixed then i need to pay Honda prices and I'm sure Honda won't be cheap. Otherwise I need to flog it to some other poor sod

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: after a few tests I've realised the battery will die after approx 48 hours whilst it's not driven.

Honda UK did confirm they are aware of a fault on the 2006 model and there was a recall. However my vin number isn't on that list. As I'm experiencing the same issue they asked me take it into Honda garage. I've book it in today with Honda and they will charge me £95 for diagnostic which I will try and contest with Honda as Ive already paid an independent garage and had the fault code.

I will update this thread once I know more.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
The thing that buggered my battery up wasn't the MICU, it was the alarm sounder. It has a small array of button cells in that provide power for the siren if the main battery is removed and have a 5-7 year lifespan. These had packed up in mine, and were constantly pulling off juice from the main battery to keep themselves charged.

Unfortunately they aren't user replaceable (I did try). £700 later and hey presto, no flat battery issues. I do still make sure auto lights and wipers are most definitely off though, I'm not getting my fingers burnt a second time.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honda diagnosed the car and said it needs a replacement battery.
So thought I'd let them change it and see how it goes. Just back from a 3 day trip and tried starting the car but again it's dead.

Booked in with Honda a 2nd time.....

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, just got a call from Honda garage and they told me they need to keep the car for another day, as the engineer now expects there is a drainage issue. (I told them this was the case in the first place)

Last time I went, they were going to charge me £95 for the diagnosis, however they waivered this if I changed the battery for £85.

So after leaving the car for 48 hours, it is again flat!

This time, they said that further drainage tests are needed and as I'm coming back a second time, they will only charge me £50 instead of the usual £95.

My arguement is I've already paid £85 for a battery which wasnt faulty so why do I need to pay another £50. The service desk rep tells me that the previous battery WAS faulty and needed replacing. However previous battery was flat after 48 hours not driving the car, and also the new replaced battery was flat also after 48 hours of not driving the car. I know for a fact the battery was fine and there is obviously a drain on the battery coming from somewhere.

COMPLETE RUBBISH from this Honda dealer. I've now setup a case with Honda UK to look into this.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not that anyone cares but I will continue to update this.

Honda garage called and said they still haven't found the cause of the battery drain. They will be keeping the car over the weekend and working on it again Monday.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dealer called today and told me that they believe it is something to do with ultrasonic sensors. He didn't go into much detail. I asked if this is the same issue as the recall that happened on the 2006 model (dodgy MICU) and he said no.

He said that he will send an email to Honda UK to see if they are willing to take the hit on the bill for this fix. So I will see what they come back with tomorrow.

I'm thinking this is probably something they are aware of, otherwise why would he suggest contacting Honda UK and not presenting me with a price to fix.

Also I came across this thread which sounds like the same issue and was fixed by a replacement MICU.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/4641-alarm-siren-fault.html#post81152

1 - 20 of 24 Posts