2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I hope someone can help. I've had my Type R from new. It's a 2009 59 Plate facelift model. It has nearly 40K miles on it. I seem to be having problems with the gear shift up from 2nd to 3rd gear. It seems to be getting noticeably worse over the last few months. It's very 'notchy' on the change up, seems to be hitting something part way into 3rd gear, and on a 'slack shift' it has popped back out to neutral a couple of times recently. However, it seems to be worse at some times than others. I am a bit concerned.

The car is under the Honda extended warranty until the end of August 2015 so would be covered for repair to any failed parts including labour.

I am aware there were problems initially with a few of the FN2's with the 3rd gear but was under the impression Honda had rectified this with the later models (I think it was something to do with the syncromesh....whatever that is!).

I have spoken to the dealer who is going to have a look at it but I am concerned that if they carry out work to it and they say there is nothing wrong with it I could be left with a whopping bill (even though I know for a fact there is definitely something wrong with it).

I am probably going to keep the car for a few more years as I cannot justify £32K for the new Type R no matter how much I would like one.

I am considering buying another extended warranty from Honda so am unsure whether to leave it for now and if anything serious happens i.e. gearbox failure, unable to get into 3rd gear etc. it would be covered under the new warranty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance.

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
sounds like the 3rd gear syncro to me, they should fix it under warranty but if they say they cannot find the fault try honda uk.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I went through this a few years ago with my 2009 FN2.

At the time I was told that the synchro issue was fixed in 2009 models. They said that they could strip out the box and have a look. If they found nothing wrong and the warranty claim was refused then I'd be liable for £600-700 to put the box back together again.

I was also told not to spend so much time on Civinfo! They compared it to looking through a medical encyclopedia before going to the Doctors. In other words, I was being a hypochondriac! :rolleyes:

FWIW, I've not had any major issues with it since. 3rd seems to have a slightly longer throw before it hits the second "notch", compared to the other gears. If you're a bit slack with the gear change and lift the clutch up a fraction too early then it seems to struggle to go in. I've just got used to it now and put it down to a characteristic of the car... one of many! :D

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that mate. So i take it u didn't get it done. That is my concern that I may end up with a bill & be no further forward. Might just leave it for the time being & see if it gets any worse. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
No I didn't get it done in the end. I also had the extended warranty so thought I would just go back to Honda if it got worse. That was over 3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
No worries. I'd maybe have the gearbox oil changed if it's not been done yet, that should improve things.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might try that mate. Do you know if there is any special recommended gearbox oil? Once again thanks for your help with this....

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2009 Type R when I bought it in March from a Honda dealer. It was also on about 40k miles at the time and I got the same explanation of if there's nothing wrong, i'd have to cover the costs.

In the end I decided to take the risk, booked it in, they needed the car for 4 days in total, although I got a brand new civic as a courtesy car with 3 miles on the clock which was nice.

They replaced the 3rd gear synchromesh under warranty and mentioned that it wasn't the first 2009 car they'd done the work too. Also as a plus they replaced the gearbox oil under the warranty, which considering it would need doing under its next service, will save me a fair bit of money!

Since then I haven't had a single problem with 3rd gear and my fears that the Type R's gearbox was overrated have disappeared :D

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for that info mate. Did the Honda garage say they thought there was something wrong with it when they drove it? Also did they explain what they found when they took the gearbox apart? I was jut wondering if the synchromesh had visible signs of failure .. otherwise I'm not sure how would they know it was that.

My car is going on this week for a couple of days for them to drive it. There is def something up with the 2nd to 3rd change up but it's intermittent (it's never a good smooth change but the notchyness & the feeling it's hitting something varies). I have no confidence I'm going to get it into 3rd gear....even though it goes in most of the time. It's now not an enjoyable car to drive anymore because of this. I've had it from new so that's coming up to 6 years & had my EP3 fir 7 & a half years before that. This is the first time I've not enjoyed having a Type R.....

With regards to a servicing, I took out the extended 3 year Honda service plan, so anything they do wouldn't affect any costs to me.

Hopefully Honda won't lose a loyal customer over this. I'm looking at the new Type R but maybe time for a change to Golf R / Focus RS.....depending upon how things go with this

Anyway thanks again for the reply.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Your problem and thoughts about it sound identical to mine. Sometimes you'd change from 2nd to 3rd four or five times and it would slot in ok then all of a sudden it feels as if its hit something part way into 3rd and if you lift the clutch it'll bounce back out again. It made me doubt if i'd bought the right car to be honest and I didn't feel like I could enjoy the car properly whilst worrying about changing gear.

When I took it to my Honda dealership I told them to take it out for a longer drive than they normally would just in case they got lucky and the problem didn't occur for a short drive. Fortunately one of the technicians there has his own FN2 Type R and as soon as he got back he said something wasn't right and after speaking to the other service guys they believed it to be the 3rd gear synchromesh.

When I picked it up they explained that over time all gearbox synchromesh will wear but they accepted that at 6 years old and 40k miles it shouldn't be as bad as that. From what I understood they have tolerances on the teeth of the synchromesh which are deemed as acceptable wear levels and my 3rd gear synchromesh was worn far more than normal, they didn't really say why it had happened however, but i'd guess either something wasn't aligned right at the factory or the original synchromesh was made from a softer metal than it should have been.

Hope that helps :)

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks mate. That's really useful information. They have it booked in for 3 days so I'm sure they will feel the same problems I'm experiencing with it during their test drives over the 3 days & get it booked in to be sorted out.

I'll put an update on here once it's been in next week.

Thanks again for the info. It does sound exactly the same as yours though.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
With synchromesh problems is it not either present all the time or not. What I mean is that if your synchro is damaged you should experience problems every time you enter that gear and not intermittently.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That would seem to go against L20's experience....and the synchromesh was replaced by Honda under warranty!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I couldn't understand why it wasn't doing it all the time either, the only possibility I could think of was if only part of the synchromesh was worn so if its engaging on a worn part it won't go in right, otherwise its fine, not sure if thats possible.

Fingers crossed all goes well for you! Hopefully you don't get a dreadful jazz as a courtesy car haha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts