2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone had advice...

Just put in my 08 Civic i-DSI for a service and MOT in a Honda dealership/service centre. It has 33000 miles.

I wanted to take it to a Honda service centre because I bought it last September from a Nissan dealership (who said it had full service history, but it's only been serviced every 10k miles, not every year) and this is the first time I've had it serviced.

I asked for a service - was told it was a big one (originally quoted £500, which I was prepared for).

Then this morning, I was told it would be £720 for the service because it's a 6-year service. I said I didn't want any extras, just the service and I was told that this was standard - air filters/pollen filters/oil change/fuel filters and spark plugs.

I even called afterwards to ask why the price had jumped from £500. She said it was because of spark plugs @ £255, fuel filters @ £200, pollen filters...

Seems a bit steep to me? Is this standard? Am I being fleeced for extras?

Any help would be appreciated - whilst I don't mind paying to make sure things are all good, I don't want to be forking out for a tonne of stuff I haven't asked for.

Cheers

·
D and A said i did it
450 Posts
Got my type r serviced in march for 370 for a 6 year service, this was from virtu honda after sum haggling and mentioning maindealerservicing.co.uk who do deals for services but it only shows virtu dealerships as far as i can see. It is a major service though and theres a lot gets done £600 is around the usual quote.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
£720 no chance ,ring a few honda dealers and ask what they would charge for a 6 year service if they quote the same then fair enough but if it comes in cheaper then you should get a price match from them;)

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I've booked in for my 6th service and was told even though I have low mileage it still needs the big service was quoted £418 , they are ripping you off big time , I would ring around for the best price.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Had my 08 1.8 75K / 6 year service in early July. Asked them to only do the basics and report on fuel filter, valve clearances, spark plugs. I paid around £250 and according to the dealer, there were no fault codes, fuel filter did not need doing (not sure how this was checked), valve clearances and spark plugs were all OK as well. So I have full Honda service history and can do the sparks and fuel filter myself using Honda parts at a fraction of the cost.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Sounds like they've thrown in an extra hours labor and bumped the price margin up by a fair ammount, my FN2's 6th service was £545 including a pick-up & drop-off service from one of their service guys. I'd be interested in seeing a break down of that quote on a print-out just to see how they manged to get over £700, my 335i's major service was under £500 @ BMW which consists of pretty much everything you listed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyone's help.

The break down is
Spark plugs £225 - (she's charged me for iridium, even though they aren't needed until after 75,000 miles);
Fuel filter £125;
Air filter £38;
Pollen filter £38;
Service £245.
=£671

Not sure what the extra £50 is, but I'll double check that when I go in.

I've been waiting for another Honda dealer to call back, we'll see how it pans out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's crazy money for spark plugs.

My brother brought NGK iridium's of ebay for around £40 and got them to fit them free of charge on his service he had recently although that was in Belfast.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Had my 6 year service last year, low mileage part service for around £300.

Done major service this year and was £1,095 but included 2 new tyres and drop links.

Get all parts from Cox motor parts and just use them for labour.

Don't change spark plugs mileage too low (IMHO)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pollen filter £38??? They are taking the piss! The part only costs £17 from Honda and all that's involved is removing a plastic flap down by the passenger footwell, pulling out the old one and sliding in the new one. They want to charge you £21 for something that takes 10 secs!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Main Dealer Rip Off

I am sure this has been said a million times but the biggest frustration with Honda is the extortionate costs the main dealers try and charge.

I have a 1.8 vtec 06 plate which has done approx 72k, have been looking at the Honda website and they offer the Honda 12 and the Honda 12+ servicing packages under fixed price servicing.

The Honda 12 weighs in at £145, while the 12+ costs £245, the difference being in the 12+ they replace the air and pollen filters and change the brake fluid.

On the basis of this I called Brindley and got quoted an astonishing £500. When I mentioned the 12+ and asked why so much I was told the main difference was the spark plugs, oh and the fuel filter change.

So that is £255 to change the plugs (fixed price repair £145) and the fuel filter.

Could there be anything else?

So frustrating that Honda issue acceptable prices for bi-yearly services then the dealers quote huge figures to really **** you off.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Cox for parts every time

Having used Cox Motor Parts their service was excellent and prices good.

As an example Genuine Honda Civic Spark Plug Set (Iridium) 1.8 Petrol Only-Fits 2006-2011 Models.

Cox £62.40
Brindley £96

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am sure this has been said a million times but the biggest frustration with Honda is the extortionate costs the main dealers try and charge.

I have a 1.8 vtec 06 plate which has done approx 72k, have been looking at the Honda website and they offer the Honda 12 and the Honda 12+ servicing packages under fixed price servicing.

The Honda 12 weighs in at £145, while the 12+ costs £245, the difference being in the 12+ they replace the air and pollen filters and change the brake fluid.

On the basis of this I called Brindley and got quoted an astonishing £500. When I mentioned the 12+ and asked why so much I was told the main difference was the spark plugs, oh and the fuel filter change.

So that is £255 to change the plugs (fixed price repair £145) and the fuel filter.

Could there be anything else?

So frustrating that Honda issue acceptable prices for bi-yearly services then the dealers quote huge figures to really **** you off.
I think that's the nail on the head right there - it was the plugs and the fuel filter that ramped the cost up by nearly £200. The original price of £720 had gone down by the time I went to pay and I got service, including pollen filter, fuel filter, iridium plugs and MOT for £660 after I'd queried some of the pricing - thanks to the advice.

Happy with that!

·
1.4 can look awsome too
402 Posts
Thanks for everyone's help.

The break down is
Spark plugs £225 - (she's charged me for iridium, even though they aren't needed until after 75,000 miles);
Fuel filter £125;
Air filter £38;
Pollen filter £38;
Service £245.
=£671

Not sure what the extra £50 is, but I'll double check that when I go in.

I've been waiting for another Honda dealer to call back, we'll see how it pans out.

Thanks again.
"The break down is"
Spark plugs £225 - COX: £104 Genuine Honda Civic 1.4 Spark Plug Set 2006-2008 [12290RSH003] - £104.00 : Cox Motor Parts Direct - Genuine Honda Brakes Clutches & Accessories
Fuel filter £125; COX: £30.79 Genuine Honda Civic 1.4 & 1.8 Petrol Fuel Filter [17048SMGE00] - £30.79 : Cox Motor Parts Direct - Genuine Honda Brakes Clutches & Accessories
Air filter £38; COX:£15.75 Genuine Honda Civic 1.4 Petrol Air Filter-Fits 2006-2011 [17220RSHE00] - £15.75 : Cox Motor Parts Direct - Genuine Honda Brakes Clutches & Accessories
Pollen filter £38; COX: £14 Genuine Honda Civic Pollen Filter (All Models)-Fits 2006-2011 [80292SMGE01] - £14.00 : Cox Motor Parts Direct - Genuine Honda Brakes Clutches & Accessories

The prices are without VAT tough, just bought service parts for 245£ (without VAT) for my 1.4 I-DSI at cox, mine is 2006 and soon 100k km, so I plan to do a big service and get transmission oil and coolant changed, and change spark plugs oil filter, filters etc, in OEM Honda style for once.

285£ included postage + 60£ in Norwegian Tax, still ALOT cheaper then I would have to pay from dealers over here.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
John banks honda Cambridge told me sparks are done by mileage. Not age, so wouldn't be needed until the 75k mark, that's why they are only doing the 50k service on my 07 1.8EX.
They said I could have the big service but there is no point. As said before get quotes from other honda dealers, whichever one tells you this is obviously the more trustworthy one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.