2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received letter from dealer saying Honda recommend a 6000 mile/6 month oil change now due to increased pressure put on the engine from improving emissions and fuel consumption is this correct or is the dealer trying to get £40 every 6 months out of me unnecessarily. I only do 8000 miles a year as it is. Sorry I have a 08 CTR.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It sounds odd to me.

Your service book will have the required service schedule in it. As far as I am aware Honda have not issued an official notice to change that.

Personally, if I was doing 8000 miles a year, then I would simply rely on the annual service in accordance with the handbook.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Many in here have reported getting a letter from their dealer, offering \ recommending an 'intermediate' (6,000 miles) service ...

The consensus seems to be - PISH ! ...

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Yeah CTR are ment to have a service every 12500 miles or once a year whichever comes first. you can chose to have a 6000 mile oil change but you dont have too. I do on my ITR but that is because I am freaky about looking after my hondas. It does sound as if the dealer might be trying to get some more money out of you. I have never had a letter from my dealer tho saying it is due. I always book it in myself for the interim oil service.

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
I had a letter from Lookers stating that they highly recommend I have a oil and filter change at 1000 ........... I am aware that the manual states 12,500 or 1 year, so when I went to the dealers the other day for a warranty point I mentioned it to the service guy. He just rolled his eyes stating that the letter comes from head office and that they've told them that Honda engines don't need a oil change until the recommended service interval.

Basically the guy told me to ignore it! and apologised for the fact I received that letter.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I chose to do a early oil change at about 1500 miles to get the engine on a better quality oil, now i will do/ have done 12,500 on a service and thats a joke when oils can now do 20,000+ miles in some makes.

On that basis the 6K idea is a £ piss take!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not had the letter, but was offered a 1 litre top up oil at cut price which i declined at service.
Guess what my oil light came on 1000 mile after the service. Mmmmm. Phoned the dealer their answer was to top up and monitor. Pointed out that in between services i usually have only had to top up once which shocked them:confused: apparently 1litre per 600 miles is acceptable!!!!!!! If that was true and your engine used it you would leave an oil slick.

Surprise Surprise i have done 9000 miles without losing a drop.

I will certainly dip it straight after service this time round

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Check mine a lot, but never topped up yet.

shouldn't need to between service unless you live life in the VTEC

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Dont be complacent with any Honda engine, they fit a dipstick for a reason and the factory usage tolerance is high!

They fitted a low oil level warning as so many people neglect to check the oil, once the low pressure light is on its too late!

Honda make great engines but do check the oil, Bridgestone make good tyres but do check the pressures, its all basic stuff :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My local honda dealer charged £130 for an oil change. Is that normal? As a result I was going to do it myself this time round but I can't even see where the oil filter is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts