2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, about a year ago after we got back off holiday i got back in my 06 plate 1.8 ex after it had been stood for a fortnight, i noticed on the drive back home that the speedo was acting weird, numbers were disappearing then coming back on, this happened for about the first 15 minutes of the drive home then it worked perfectly again.
Over the next couple of months the speedo worked fine then all of a sudden the issue started again it was like the numbers were shadowing but i could still read how fast i was going, it was one of those problems i just put up with as it wasn't doing it all the time and i could still tell the speed,
Now over the past 2 months or so its got gradually worse to the point where i cant read the speed when it happens,
Ive tried taking the unit out to check for loose connections or dust, but its a sod to get to so i failed to get it out, i managed to remove the top cover then i removed the triangle type cover near the sat nav display, unclipped the three black clips and tried to twist/pull it out but to no avail and didnt want to force it to much,
Now ive put it back together again and when it happens now you can still read the numbers but there still fading, but its better than before?
My question is, is there a video or how to correctly remove the speedo and diagnose whether i need to clean or replace the unit, i did think about getting a can of compressed air to blow out around the connections to see if that helped,
Its a issue that i need to get sorted as itll need to work when the car goes in for its MOT although thats not till the start of December so ive got time on my side,
Any advise help would be much appreciated,
Cheers
Neil

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anybody know if this is the correct part number i need for the replacement HR0343001?
Id like to get one ordered before i remove the faulty one

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the plan mate, not burning stupid money on new there are quite a few on ebay around the £20-£30 mark which i dont mind taking a risk on, got nowt to lose

Is there a video on how to remove anywhere?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I'm surprised it hasn't taken you back in time; It usually happens around 88 for me :laugh:

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
Replacement ordered £24.99 Boom
Did you not try re-flowing the solder on the old one? Bit of liquid flux on the solder joints and then run a soldering iron over it.. Same thing happened on the Radio display when i had the 8g..

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I had this fault on my 2010 ex with the sat nav. After a few heated calls to Honda uk they agreed to replace the part free of charge. Initially I was quoted £600 for the part. I think I had to pay £35 labour as it's literally a 20 min job with the right tools. I'd be weary of using a second hand part as it could develop the fault again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts