2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my 9G 2013 1.8 civic ES for over 4 weeks. Still trying to sell the 8G 2008 1.8 civic EX. As I've been driving both cars I have realised the 9G is much slower. Don't get me wrong I love the much improved suspension, rattle free ride and refinements. and before anyone says yes the eco button is off!.

But I have been driving both cars the same route same roads switching between them every other day and I am 100% convinced the 9G is slower. On the motorway when I put my foot down the 9G feels sluggish and takes it time to speed up while the 8G just feels much more responsive.

Is it just me or have others who went from a 8G to 9G experienced this ? or maybe there is something wrong with the my 9G ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the 8G is lighter in weight and does have faster claimed 0-60 times - only by half a second or something miniscule.

Having driven 8G a lot and now owning 9G 1.8 petrol, I think the 8G had a lower, more sporty feeling ride. The actual performance figures are so similar I doubt you could feel much difference in performance without actual lap times or dyno etc.

Maybe the lighter weight, harsher suspension and lower feeling 8G maybe just adds to it feeling faster?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't own a 9th gen but I suspect the wider gear ratios (for fuel economy) is the main culprit and then an extra 50kg for comfort and soundproofing. Good for long drives. There is no increase in torque to compensate for all this as that would decrease fuel economy. Honda did give it just 2 more hp when you give it some high revs but that won't be felt (or used by most).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've noticed this between my 8g and my dads 9g, same engine, both 1.8's. I love the 9g, the ride is superb, but its just a pain sometimes.

On the odd occasion driving the 9g I always feel a bit disappointed. I cant see a reason why it feels slower, the gear ratios seem to be very similar and there is only a 50kg weight differnce. Mine has a lovely kick to it, which the 9g is missing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts