2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here is the play. I went to see the new 9th gen and the bottom line is I can't afford the new EXGT or even the EX. So I can't like for like buy.:(

But I was supprised on the 9th ES model. I think I am going to buy it. :rolleyes:

But, whats your thoughts?:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I have the 2.2 ES and it's spec is very good everything I need and great little touches like folding mirrors and window lifts via the key fob rear view camera. I know you don't get sat/nav or leather but it is still a well spec car.

Since we got ours we have never looked back.:)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Thoroughly chuffed with mine so far!

Having taken early retirement, I traded in my Type R of nearly five years and found the funds!
It is a lot of money, and I had both additional packs added as well so mine has cost a lot!

However. This car is leaps and bounds above the 8th gen (IMO). I appreciate I am unable to compare like for like, but this car is absolutely in the league of what most people would consider "premium cars"

I know the shape is not to everyone's taste, especially the rear, but it does look better in the flesh and it is different.

I intend to write a more comprehensive report after I have done a few more miles, but so far, so good.

Go for it!

·
Administrator
21,236 Posts
I started off with an a 2007 8G EX i-shift. The i-shift had to go and having looked very closely at the MY09 specs v cost I decided that the ES-GT auto was the best value amongst the better specced variants.

Having looked at the 9G I reckon the ES-T is best suited to my requirements.

I will not be buying a 'pack' (I had the Elite in mind) as the individual items are cheaper as I don't need all the items in the pack.

So at the moment for next September:

ES-T
Metallic
Mudflaps
Mats
Rear parking sensors

In the meantime it would be nice if Honda did the same as the 8G and produced a ES-GT with HID's, rear sensors and mats in the spec.

I would mention the 2 SatNav variants but it's impossible to compare as we only have the lower SD manual available.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.

I think I am pushing the button today. Still got mixed feelings. Here is thoughts at this time. Hope it helps.

8thGen EX
----------
Glass Roof So what, I dont use it much.
Sat Nav Again, only use when I am lost or need to pop out for biz. ( Not often)
Leather Seats Again, not be missed.
Heated Seats Gets used for 5 to 10 mins on a cold morning.
Fancy Head Lights So, what I dont see them when driving.

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
Okay here is the play. I went to see the new 9th gen and the bottom line is I can't afford the new EXGT or even the EX. So I can't like for like buy.:(

But I was supprised on the 9th ES model. I think I am going to buy it. :rolleyes:

I don't think you will be disappointed. I had a 1.8 i-shift in night hawk black. My wife and I had high regard for the car. It proved very reliable. We ran it for five years. Yes, we liked the glass roof and my wife liked the 3d dash. We both thought the design was a cut above the rest of the pack. We now have a 1.8ES auto in white orchid pearl. It is more refined, quieter and the auto box is great. So far we have no regrets in changing to the 9th gen. Yes, I can understand some of the comments regarding the styling, particularly the rear end, but nothing stays the same and times move on.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

They are doing discounts I hear...it maybe that you can stretch to a EX.

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
They are doing discounts I hear...it maybe that you can stretch to a EX.
At the end of the day what matters is how much it cost to change. All sorts of equations come into play. Yes, there are very good deals to be had. I'm sure Pesky36's negotiating skills are honed. The only additional advice I can give is if a punter definitely wants a deal go to the showroom towards the very end of the month. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
At the end of the day what matters is how much it cost to change. All sorts of equations come into play. Yes, there are very good deals to be had. I'm sure Pesky36's negotiating skills are honed. The only additional advice I can give is if a punter definitely wants a deal go to the showroom towards the very end of the month. Good luck!
+1 we got approx £5k off out EX-GT... Just haggle.. The dealers want deals :)

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
I always say haggle, haggle, haggle. When tears start to form in their eyes it is probably as far as one can get......

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
Have just seen an ES manual in polished metal for £14.9k with del mileage from an independant, but it is only a 1.4 though.

I wasn't aware the ES spec was available in the 1.4. Perhaps it was an SE that you saw? But I may be wrong.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I'd be interested to know where you got that deal.

I've been to 3 dealers now and they've all just offered the Honda £1500 deposit deal. With the 3 year servicing included and 0% finance, I reckon that's worth about £2500 to me.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Have just seen an ES manual in polished metal for £14.9k with del mileage from an independant, but it is only a 1.4 though.
No such car available. If it's a 1.4, it's an SE., £16,995 + paint new without any disc. Include the deals being done at the moment and you'll be drivinmg that away with your pants around your ankles if you buy that at £15k

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I'd be interested to know where you got that deal.

I've been to 3 dealers now and they've all just offered the Honda £1500 deposit deal. With the 3 year servicing included and 0% finance, I reckon that's worth about £2500 to me.
Braley Honda St Albans... Got the above plus £1k extra off list and nearly 2k more on px than my old ex-GT's book price for age and condition... I'm generally pretty cynical when it comes to dealers, but can't fault them for service (let's hope after sales is good too :) ) and I'm sure they made some money too :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts