2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, I was wondering if the 1,8 civic 2006-2012 would be a fine commuter-car? I'll be driving 22.000 km every year to my job alone. I'm looking at a bunch of civics with anywhere between 120.000 and 220.000 on the odometer. Would it require a lot of maintenance and repairs?

Thanks in advance,
Wabbit212

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
I got a 2010 one to do an 80 mile daily round trip.
Asked a mechanic would he thought of them - only see then for servicing & brakes he said.
I still have it 5 years later and a the 8G TypeR too.

I would get one that has the lower km on the clock and make sure it has been serviced/ maintained regularly and that these major items that are due in that km range have been done:
new spark plugs, new fuel filter, coolant change, gearbox oil change, auxiliary belt change

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
380 Posts
As Wilmo said, the less KM the better, but the 8th Gen (which is the one you're looking at) is a very well built car. I've done 20,000 miles (32,000 KM) in 12 months (bought on 32,500, now 52,000), and I've only had to service the car, my partner has done 27,000 miles (43,500KM) in two years (also bought at 32,000 so now closer to 60,000), and other than new brake pads and wing mirror indicators when she bought the car, not a single thing has gone wrong. Considering I use mine for work, and @Pitlane_badger has done a Track day, many weekends away, and a long weekend to the Le Mans 24 Hour race in her 1.4 Type S. Look around for one with lots of history, and you'll not be disappointed.

Edit: Get a Manual, the only real weak link is the I-Drive gearbox, so avoid that.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
A 1.8 mk8 is a fine commuter car when everything is taken into account.

Only things letting it down are a mediocre ride and a poor stock stereo.

If you can maintain a car yourself then they are very very cheap to run for servicing.

I've done almost everything myself on my own 1.8 including a full suspension refresh, regular servicing, gearbox oil change etc

It returns 40mpg which is pretty ok but it's a cheap car to buy.

IMO look for one with a good clutch, engine that sounds ok when cold and low amounts of rust. It'll probably be good to go for awhile...

Some will prefer the 2.2d as it goes further per tank of fuel but there's more to go wrong on diesel cars.

NA petrol engines are the best for reliability even if they suck a bit on horsepower and torque...

·
i-Vtec
5,653 Posts
I have a 1.8 and use it as a commuter car. Servicing is as easy as any other car I've owned. Timing chain so just keep up with oil and filter changes and it will give no issues. Avoid ishift cars like the plague.
The only thing that annoys me about mine for commuting is the high geared 6th, 3000 at 70mph, although recently I managed a calculated 49 mpg on a long run and my last fill up there on Sunday was 43 calculated mpg, over 275 miles, from purely commuting. I think the high 6th gear is an ES and Type S/R thing, so maybe look at an EX version if this was an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine also blew a driveshaft at 110k miles. Honda's original design has a weak spot that rusts over time. Still easy enough to fix however... Just had no car for a few days.
My older brother noted that theses older cars from 2006 could easily be very rusty. I live in Denmark so cold and wet winters are common. But the price goes up quickly by just being a few years newer.
This car looks super sweet and drives amazingly, but it's my first car, so it's currently between taking a chance with this one, being rusty and/or needing service all the time, or buying a much cheaper, lower KM boring car like a swift with not as much of a monetary loss.
And honestly, I wouldn't be caught dead in a swift...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The rear beam can rust. Rest of the underside is relatively ok I think. Obviously stuff like exhaust fitting can corrode but they can be swapped.

Guess you can get an examination of the car before you buy. Guessing Denmark is a bit like Scotland but with even more road muck rusting cars potentially...

A Swift isn't bad, cheap interiors however!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A 1.8 mk8 is a fine commuter car when everything is taken into account.

Only things letting it down are a mediocre ride and a poor stock stereo.

If you can maintain a car yourself then they are very very cheap to run for servicing.

I've done almost everything myself on my own 1.8 including a full suspension refresh, regular servicing, gearbox oil change etc

It returns 40mpg which is pretty ok but it's a cheap car to buy.

IMO look for one with a good clutch, engine that sounds ok when cold and low amounts of rust. It'll probably be good to go for awhile...

Some will prefer the 2.2d as it goes further per tank of fuel but there's more to go wrong on diesel cars.

NA petrol engines are the best for reliability even if they suck a bit on horsepower and torque...
Many thanks for your reply,
I'm not sure how it should sound when cold or how to know if the clutch is good... Ive tried one in terrible condition that idled at 700 rpm tops. Is that normal? It was super hard to get it rolling, kept stalling. In order to brake I had to push the pedal down as much as the clutch.

Many thanks for your help😊

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Many thanks for your reply,
I'm not sure how it should sound when cold or how to know if the clutch is good... Ive tried one in terrible condition that idled at 700 rpm tops. Is that normal? It was super hard to get it rolling, kept stalling. In order to brake I had to push the pedal down as much as the clutch.

Many thanks for your help😊
That example sounds like an utter mess... I can check the idle speed of my car tomorrow but it's solid as well as the water temperature. Doesn't deviate.

Don't know if the idle is faster when the car is cold in cold weather, seen that on many other cars.

My 1.8 is quite neutral, nothing amazing but smooth enough. It shouldn't be difficult to drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That example sounds like an utter mess... I can check the idle speed of my car tomorrow but it's solid as well as the water temperature. Doesn't deviate.

Don't know if the idle is faster when the car is cold in cold weather, seen that on many other cars.

My 1.8 is quite neutral, nothing amazing but smooth enough. It shouldn't be difficult to drive.
So, how was the idle speed?

I've caught on to a new post on a 1,8. It's done 117.000 km, the price is 49.000 dkk. It's a good/okay price considering the mileage here in denmark (just trust me on this, everything is more expensive here) but, the AC seems to be broken. I've got the latest service bill and whithin it is stated "defective AC compressor". Taking this into account, the price is a bit over the top.
The brake caliber on the left hind wheel (?) have been changed, oil and oil filter has been swapped.
So could i pursue this example, and for future reference what do you think of the AC?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'd say no if you value air conditioning.

If it needs a compressor change it's fairly expensive.

Didn't get to check the idle but it's always been solid and doesn't hunt around. The engine itself has always been solid, just drives without much drama...I think it runs slightly faster when cold in cold weather on start up but lots of cars do that to warm up faster.

·
i-Vtec
5,653 Posts
AC Compressors don't generally go. The Relay fails and is a dirt cheap fix. Secondly the shim between the pulley and the clutch pack swells in hot weather and the electromagnets wont catch, its literally hundreds of a millimetres of differences, but another dirt cheap fix. Most Dealers/mechanics don't know about this issue/fix and just recommend a compressor replacement. I changed the shim on mine 3 years ago and its been fine since. In the UK a new compressor is around the £150 mark which isnt really that bad either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts