2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i am looking to change my car soon and would like to know some information about the 8th Gen. I will be 19 and hopefully have 2 years no claims in about a months time (touch wood) and have been looking at the 2008 onwards 1.8 Civic Type S.

1. What is the difference between the 1.8 i-VTEC type s and the type s GT
2. Do they all come with a sat nav and cruise control built in
3. Can they be tuned easily
4. Any major issues or problems to look out for

Cheers for help in advance

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi guys, i am looking to change my car soon and would like to know some information about the 8th Gen. I will be 19 and hopefully have 2 years no claims in about a months time (touch wood) and have been looking at the 2008 onwards 1.8 Civic Type S.

1. What is the difference between the 1.8 i-VTEC type s and the type s GT
Spec - GT includes Glass Roof, climate control rather than air con., auto lights and wipers and Cruise Control, front fogs
2. Do they all come with a sat nav and cruise control built in - No GT has Cruise. Not sure if Nav was even an option on early ones.
3. Can they be tuned easily - a few back boxes, now a front pipe to allow aftermarket exhausts for a Type R to fit. Remap - if you remove the ECU 24-48 hour job. Plus the usual air filters. In my opinion not worth it.
4. Any major issues or problems to look out for. No major problems. I find the brakes are like chocolate, expect to replace pads and discs quite often.

Cheers for help in advance
My own personal opinion above.

·
more torque than the mrs
7,862 Posts
its a good all round car as the op said exhaust and remap can give you an extra 15bhp but costs well over £600 just to get this not worth it imo but someone will differ,
cruise control on both versions as standard.
satnav was an option.
tuning not easy.
problems not many on the 1.8 few interior rattles suspensions a bit harsh,stone chips will annoy you,i'm on my third civic so cant be that bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well anything is going to be quicker than my 1.0 corsa and i was only going to look at a back box, filters and maybe a remap so im not to bothered. However ive caught the bug for modying so exterior and interior will be changed lol.
Stone chips will annoy be as i love my car to be clean but shouldnt be doing many motorway miles so shouldnt be too bad, the suspension i would lower anway and again expect a hard ride from that.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
The 1.8 engine is pretty optimal already. A few things you can do as mentioned by others. More drastic is to add a turbo. It is great car to drive anyway, very revvy engine.

·
World Traveller
2,173 Posts
If your looking for "mod-ability" in a car, maybe look at a Type R, possibilities seem to be endless, turbo's, superchargers, various engine changes, and exterior but downside is extremely expensive, but depends how much you love your motor :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
If your looking for "mod-ability" in a car, maybe look at a Type R, possibilities seem to be endless, turbo's, superchargers, various engine changes, and exterior but downside is extremely expensive, but depends how much you love your motor :)
did you not see his age, unless he's minted he won't be getting a type r well not insuring one anyway

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, some companies only up the prices for lowering, exhaust and engine. So it wouldnt increase that much depending i find the correct policy. i doubt i would do many engine mods if its a waste anyway. Do most civics come with a jack or USB in order to play music from an iphone or do i need to upgrade the stereo?

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
All will increase it for engine mods. Some won't be interested in insuring any modded car until your 25 or over. Some will increase for other mods too. The best thing to do is clear the mod with the insurance company first and declare everything.

·
World Traveller
2,173 Posts
did you not see his age, unless he's minted he won't be getting a type r well not insuring one anyway
Fair enough. Not sure how I missed that lol

Exactly the same problem as me, now nearly 20 and still got my 1.4 had it since 18 when I got it brand new, no point in me looking at 1.8 as its not a huge power gain and would be a waste for me IMO, tbh my insurance is 1.4k on the 1.4l engine. Hopefully will go down on my 3rd year no claims after Christmas!

Tempted to see if TDI could charge it somehow lol, be a 1st!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2.2 can be modded up to the same power as the CTR. It weighs a bit more though. Lots of torque. Need to set aside cash for new clutch(es).
Joy, just checked prices of them anyway and thats more than my budget lol

Fair enough. Not sure how I missed that lol

Exactly the same problem as me, now nearly 20 and still got my 1.4 had it since 18 when I got it brand new, no point in me looking at 1.8 as its not a huge power gain and would be a waste for me IMO, tbh my insurance is 1.4k on the 1.4l engine. Hopefully will go down on my 3rd year no claims after Christmas!

Tempted to see if TDI could charge it somehow lol, be a 1st!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Well im going to notice any change from a 1.0 lol i like the look of them but im even going to go down the power or sound system route and both have problems with the civic lol

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
My first car was a 90hp 1.4 Corsa which weighed 900kg not much different from the Civic (1.4) performance wise. The 1.8 Civic is a lot faster. Although having driven much faster cars you can always go further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My first car was a 90hp 1.4 Corsa which weighed 900kg not much different from the Civic performance wise. The 1.8 Civic is a lot faster. Although having driven much faster cars you can always go further.
Yeah i hate insurance being so expensive, ill most likely end up with one or something else will catch my eye. Cheers for the help guys

1 - 20 of 33 Posts