2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I am new to this forum as I am about to buy my first 8th Gen Civic. I want one that will last me a while so I basically want all the toys, including Sat Nav, Bluetooth, USB, etc. I figured this means I probably need an EX GT, so have been scouring Auto Trader for these, but recently stumbled across an "Si-T" -something I did not know existed until today.
Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDi Si-T 5dr
I've now discovered a lot of the standard trims seem to be available as a -T version, which if I am not mistaken has a double DIN factory fitted SD touchscreen nav system, instead of the nav found in the EX, next to the clock / radio display.

I can find info on the EX satnav (feedback is good), but not on the -T satnav. Does anybody know how they compare? Although the bigger nav in the centre looks cool, I worry it's more obvious for car thieves, and replaces all the standard radio controls etc - does that make basic control of radio less straight forward?

Also, I'm looking to spend between 6 and 8.5k, which either gets me a 57 ave mileage, or a 59/60 high mileage. I'm thinking newer high mileage is better. What do others think? I want the CDTi so I'm thinking that engine is good for 200k miles easily?

Thanks guys
Tony

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Have a close look at the T grade implementation of the HFT and SatNav. I'm sure you can't make a handsfree call on the T grades, just answer the phone via the steering wheel controls if it rings?

If that feature isn't important then you should be OK

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Bought 2010 plate 2.2 SE-T in January with 57k on the clock and am very pleased with it. It has the SSD unit in it that has a few drawbacks such as the large screen doesn't like the sun on it, almost blanks the screen completely. Its hands free once you have tapped the call on the screen and you answer via the screen as well. Big thing seems to be the price of a map upgrade from Clarion which is £170.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - good to know about the problem with the sun. I guess where the nav screen is located on the EX models is a bit more shaded. I will keep an open mind to the T-grade models. I like the trim on the Type S but need the practicality of the 5 doors - shame there isn't a 5 door version with sports trim, that I know of!

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,435 Posts
2011 Si-T has a pioneer F930BT sat-nav / music system. CD,s. DVD,s. usb sticks. Bluetooth or cable. Updates currently £99 for 2013 map as 2014 update due out. You can set phone to answer after 3 rings so no need for taking hands off wheel. Screen does get blanked out by sun, when sun shines and its coming through at right angle to do so otherwise not a problem. Turn a corner problem gone.

Just had a look at your link, nice motor. No dpf so that issue solved. Different satnav to mine. Still possible? you may be able to get updates discounted as they become due for replacement. Wouldn't let a satnav put me off such a good looking motor. With one owner must have been happy with it and looks well looked after.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Red Dwarf,
I got an EX in the end as found one at a good price and needed to change my car pronto. No pana roof but still pleased with it!

Shame about the sound quality of the stereo though. I'll definitely be making some ICE improvements....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hope it's alright to comment on an old thread like this.

Is there any opinion on the best sat nav unit?

The T ones seem a bit aftermarket.

I couldn't even see a CD slot...

Does anyone know how the audio/speakers compare for an Si-T or EX GT?

I'm thinking for such an old car it's probably best just to use your phone for sat nav.

So it's the audio capability that matters more

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I retrofitted factory nav, not difficult but time consuming, I like the factory look and prefer that over functionality. It's not a bad nav, shows its age but works. Depends what you are looking for really, I don't mind the sound quality to be honest, I have a 1.8 es 58 plate.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
We use our satnav regularly. With its updated disc (2016) it still works great. Only ever problem so far is visiting in Luton area when leaving M1 where roads have been reconfigured.

Wouldn't say the music system is anything special, but fine for us. ('59 plate exgt auto)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cheers, currently considering an EX GT - also 2009 like yours, or an Si or Si-T
Leaning toward the EX GT as it does seem better specified

I guess a potential advantage of an Si-T is you can likely easily add a different satnav/media unit.

But I do like the look of the integrated EX GT unit, in the top display.

So that may work better alongside a phone.

This comes with a nice large rotary knob for media control too right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is there anything stopping one from adding a Pioneer sat nav/media unit to a an Si-T that has a Clarion unit?

Double DIN is a standard slot so you can put a better unit in?

It's a lot easier to get e.g. a 2010 Si-T than the 2011 limited edition Si-T which has the Pioneer unit.

I guess if you do that yourself you miss out on the parking sensors - unless you add those too. But I think that's the main difference between the 2011 Si-T and the earlier non limited edition models?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I would like to know this also.

I have an 2010 SE-T with the T grade clarion unit.

I know the wiring loom is different to the standard stereo so not sure if the connects 2 kit would work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts