2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just driven back from Stirling in Scotland to Whitchurch in Shropshire after collecting my ex demo 1.6 ES Civic with 4.5k miles on the clock. Before leaving Stirling I asked the Honda dealer to reset the average MPG back to nil on both Trips 'A' and 'B' as I was really keen to see just how economical this new engine is.

After driving like Miss Daisy for 267 miles at an average speed of 58 mph on the motorway, I arrived home to see I had averaged 92.1 mpg. The journey was about 200 miles motorway and 67 miles on the A49, a slow and winding 'A' road. Prior to going on the A49 I was actually averaging 94.9 mpg on Trip 'A' and astonishingly 101.4 mpg on Trip 'B' which was just pure motorway. I'm still in a state of shock of just how amazing this new engine is.

I don't pretend for a moment that I'll drive like that each day to and from work but WOW, 92.1 real mpg! It makes me want to climb the house and shout from the roof top. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC CAR. I can't believe I'm the only one to have achieved such economical heights, but I don't think I've read anything higher elsewhere. Well done Honda!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, right. I didn't realise that. I've just filled it tonight so I'll measure it properly after a week or so and update the thread. But nonetheless 92.1 via the computer is still be fantastic, right? Just how optimistic is the microchip? Even if it's 10% over egged it still averaged 83 mpg. I'm still ecstatic at that.

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
The 8th Gen Civic tends to over-read (optimistic), but I have seen posts on here about the 9th Gen (e.g. Kremmen), saying that the 9th Gen fractionally under-reads. If that is the case, 92.1 mpg might turn out to be 95mpg. I know that seems daft, but a lot of 9th Gen 1.6 dtec owners are saying they can thrash around in their new rides, and still get 60-odd mpg overall, which is the real test. Please post again when you fill up, calculating at the tank, rather than the on-board computer. Thanks.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
+1

Pics or it didn't happen :p

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
On the sofa
255 Posts
I dont think they have opposable thumbs so holding a camera and pushing the button at the same time would be a little difficult.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I recently got rid of my 2.2 civic which read around 70mpg average for the tank and actual using the road trip app was 67.1mpg. I think the trip computer on 9G seems a lot more accurate than cars of old.

I now have a focus 1.6D. When I first got it, I was getting readings from the car on board computer that averaged 80mpg. Since then the average for my journey has been coming steadily down however my driving style and the ambient conditions haven't changed. Now I can't get it to read over 70mpg. The annoying thing is, on the few tanks of fuel I've put in, I am consistently getting 63mpg actual. It's like the engine ECU is going through a recalibration from the last owner to me. I know Bosch ECUs learn the driver's habits and adjust throttle response accordingly - however I thought the measurement of fuel metering was precise and not something the ECU changes. I guess the previous owner of my focus had a heavy right foot, so now my car is learning to adapt to my 'miss daisy' approach. It's making a lot higher prediction of mpg and getting it much more wrong than my civic

·
Registered
473 Posts
Even if the obc is over reading this is a pretty iimpressive result. Fair chuffed as I have just ordered a 1.6 dtec Ex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,

I drove with the ECON on and stayed in the inside lane of the motorway all the way from Stirling to the M56 in Cheshire (about 200 miles or so). I averaged my speed between 58 and 60 mph and very gently touched the accelerator pedal to maintain my speed. When going down hills I took my foot of the pedal completely. At all times I tried to keep the ECO light on green to maximise fuel effeciency. At that point I was actually recording 94.9mpg which only went down when I came off the motorway onto a slow and winding A road.

I wanted to try my best at maximising the mpg to see how well the new 1.6 engine could do. The reason for this was because I traded in my Ford Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 200 BHP which only done 41.7 mpg no matter how well I drove. I done my homework before going for the 1.6 Civic. As I was spending nearly £450 pm on fuel I'm hoping to half this. As good as the Mondeo was, I have to say that I'm absolutely satisfied with the Civic ES model as it has everything that I need; fantastic fuel economy and plenty of punch with its 120 bhp. I can't recommend this car high enough. I love it!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts