2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently changed from a 2012 1.8 I-VTEC to a 2015 1.6 I-DTEC, and noticed something weird - there's no fuel cap.

I called the dealer and they told me this was normal and that the fuel door acted as the cap on the diesel models but I couldn't find anything about this online. There is no thread or anything on the inside or outside of the fuel instake either and I can't see anywhere that the cap would have attached if it had broken off.

I just wanted to check with you guys that this was in fact normal and completely safe and that fuel can't get out of my tank?

Any tips you have for using or driving the 2015 I-DTEC would also be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom :)

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,546 Posts
A picture would be handy for comparison.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Don't panic !
I haven't got the 1.6 diesel, but I test drove one and found the same as you did -- you just insert the fuel nozzle into the self sealing orifice, and withdraw when finished ( ooh -err missus !)-it doesn't seem right , but that's what you get.

·
Registered
879 Posts
1.6 D is equipped with a capless fuel system which incorporates a miss fuel device.

Only a Diesel nozzle will open the external flap thus allowing the nozzle to open the internal flap that seals the fuel tank.

After refuelling, release the pump lever and allow 8 to 10 seconds for the fuel to drain out of the fuel nozzle, before to pull it from the car.

There may be a small amount of fuel which will vent via the small hole at the bottom of the neck which is between the outer and inner flaps this is normal, and will especially happen if you don't allow that short nozzle drain period.

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
Also, tips on driving the 1.6 i-DTEC. ..avoid labouring the engine. I find 4th gear at 40mph is just as economical as 5th gear at 40mph, and the second tip isnot to floor it in 6th when overtaking at say 50mph. Change down and ride the torque wave instead of straining the clutch too much if possible. But it is an amazing engine.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,448 Posts
Also, tips on driving the 1.6 i-DTEC. ..avoid labouring the engine. I find 4th gear at 40mph is just as economical as 5th gear at 40mph, and the second tip isnot to floor it in 6th when overtaking at say 50mph. Change down and ride the torque wave instead of straining the clutch too much if possible. But it is an amazing engine.
I take it you've had yours from new?
Just wondering how many miles on the clock before you did any motorway mileage.
And did you bother running engine in before going past that 3000rpm mark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anybody know how to pour Redex into a capless diesel tank .
TIA
If the bottle doesn’t have a built in sleeve like the Millers additive bottles then you should find a funnel in the boot. It’ll be behind the small panel on the left when looking into the boot.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
mine must have been removed before I bought it
we have similar problem with add-blue in the van
some bottles have spout long enough to open the trap door and some are no way near

but maybe we are just gonna use old bottle as ive found a place I can get add-blue for 38p a litre rather than over a pound a litre in the 5 or 10 litre tubes

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,444 Posts
as far as I know the Hondas don't come with funnel

the link below will show what you need
A black funnel comes with the car for putting in additives or filling via a fuel can. I found mine on the nearside compartment in the boot. There's also white adaptor that acts as a filter too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts