2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

One dipped bulb failed so I am thinking of replacing with a quality LED.
By reading the threads it seems like Philips is well respected and the Ultinon appears to be a good choice as it fits correctly and does not heat too much.
Is that so?
Do I need to order anything else than the LED bulbs?
Would you guys recommend any other quality choice?

Thanks,

Pedro

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Personally, I didn't have the best experience with LED bulbs in the dip beam. They were reasonably effective, but I found that they didn't perform that well in the projectors - Beam pattern was fine, but I feel that they lost out on some of the output due to lacking 360 output.

After using the LEDs for a few months, I switched to HIDs in the dip beam. They have higher overall output than LEDs, and 360 degree light output - as well as a wider variety of colour temperatures available, all at a lower cost.
The current set have been fitted for many months now, over winter as well, and haven't let me down - In fact, I've switched to HIDs in the high beam reflectors too.

Have a look here: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/lights-9g/415134-9g-facelift-aftermarket-hid-installation.html

You'll probably find they are a fair sight cheaper than LEDs - and no real drawbacks aside from needing to tuck away the wires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Haltamer, thanks for the reply. I checked your excellent thread previously and tbh it looks great, but for the moment I wanted to try the LEDs as I have some faith a good LED (meaning nice pattern mostly) may have chances of passing NCT.
I know you tried LEDs before, but I think you tried a chinese brand, is that right?

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
The LEDs used in the past were a relatively cheap Novisight bulb; Though on beam pattern you won't find much difference between the two -

As dip beams on the facelift use a projector housing, shields are used to create the cut off, rather than relying on precise optics - meaning the same sharp cutoff is obtained regardless of source, as shown on the other thread:

However, reading note four of the NCT Testing manual, Chaper 30: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/NCT/New 2018/NCT Manual 2018.pdf
"Check compatibility of light source and lamp" - This means both LED and HID bulbs will be a failure, as the housing is for a halogen bulb - Same answer as the MOT, best option would be to pop them out for the test and back in afterwards.

My findings with the LED lamp was not that there was poor cutoff, but poor light distribution, as above, I think it's down to the light output being two 180deg opposed diodes, rather than a 360deg emitting filament / arc, which would leave darker patches in the beam pattern.

My advice would be to test with a set of ~£15 Novsight Ebay LEDs before you go all out, as the Phillips and OSRAM (They are also in the H7 LED Game now, and I've had excellent experiences with their other products) LEDs are upwards of £100 - More of a sting if you don't like it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(login issues prevented submitting my reply and I didn't notice until now)

Thanks for the tips Haltamer.

I see what you mean with the light diffusion - LEDs are directional-ish and the resulting beam is going to concentrate somewhere.
I wonder if any LED bulbs would be able to fill with light like a filament bulb does...

I might test with not so expensive LEDs as you mentioned before I go to the top ones. I just wanted to replace the regular bulbs with something noticeably better (not necessarily immensely better), but also that lasted...

Cheers!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just spotted your thread Autobulbsdirect do a compact LED H7 which they advise does fit the 9G. Might be worth your looking at they are £40 a pair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So to close the thread - after both bulbs failed I had to install something, put some non-fancy OSRAMs and it's actually good, better than the ones that were before. So for this year I don't think I'll change that - perhaps after NCT, who knows :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts