2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Honda did a lot of work to make the 9G far more comfortable than the 8G was, which in my opinion was required!

However they made it about 25-30mm too damn high for my liking. Obviously they is easily fixed with a set of Eibach or similar springs.

My question is obviously the ride will become firmer with Eibachs and a set of 18s on but does it destroy it completely? Does it send the car back to the level of comfort I would associate with a lowered 8G?

I know the Germans can achieve a lowered car with relative comfort, is it possible with the 9G to get the same?

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a set of coilovers been developed for the 9G though that actually give you a more comfortable ride of the most comfortable setting than stock dampers and eibach springs?

I don't believe this has been achieved on the 8G so I would be surprised if it has on the 9G?

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meister R for the 8G.

Not sure if they have a set that fits the 9G.
Cheers

No they don't do a set for the 9G as far as I am aware

Who has claimed that Meister R's are more comfortable than Koni's matched with Eibachs that I run for example?

Never heard of someone saying Meister's make the 8G more comfortable, less crashy yes but comfortable no?

I know Allan switched from Konis and Eibachs to Mesiter's but don't think anyone has achieved comfort through Meister's?

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have messaged Meister R directly, if they honestly believe they have a setup that can give a comfortable coilover I would be willing to splash out on a new setup for my 8G, only reason I would switch to the 8G would be for a bit of added comfort and refinement.

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
I totally agree with you, my Meister's have banished the crashy ride. But they ain't comfy with 5kg springs per corner and I have Polybushes fitted

I'm mighty tempted to give 4kg springs a try, especially on the lighter rear.

If I do and they're an improvement, then I'll let you know.

Will be interested to hear what Meister come back to you with. I haven't pinged them yet.

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jerrick basically said hes not sure as everyones opinions on comfort are different. He did say to try someones though, but the problem is distance from well.... just about EVERYONE on here!

Currently with 18's on I can literally feel every imperfection in the tarmac, I am not saying its uncomfortable or I cant live with it, but it certainly doesn't give a feeling of quality or comfort. I don't always want to have to be in "race mode" I realise I could quite easily improve the ride by fitting 16's but aesthetics are also very important to me, other manufacturers seem to have managed putting large alloys on but still having comfort and acceptable handling!

As I said to Jerrick I am quite happy to loose some of the performance handling in favour of comfort if it is possible, there must be a way surely!

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
The dampers provide a good range of adjustment and with 5kg's I find I'm at the fully soft end. The springs ride over every bump. With 4 adults onboard the ride improves.

I figure if I change to 4kg's that I'll be able to set the dampers further away from soft. Hopefully on softer springs bumps would then be absorbed.

On the motorway or smoother roads, my current setup is okay. I just need to improve the ride over rougher roads. The lanes around here are pretty bumpy

·
Registered
469 Posts
I Eibach'd my 9G and have 18" wheels on it and while it is definitely harder then stock it's still quite usable on a daily basis. It's not too hard for normal road use.

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you find your setup more comfortable than stock, I know comfort is subjective, but I am sure you notice when you in your other half's Golf how much more "comfortable" the ride feels than the civic?

I have recently take a lift to work with my friends old A3 running on very cheap and nasty JOM coilovers and even that felt far far more comfortable than my civic, my springs alone cost more than his entire coilover setup! Not to mention my Koni FSD dampers!

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I Eibach'd my 9G and have 18" wheels on it and while it is definitely harder then stock it's still quite usable on a daily basis. It's not too hard for normal road use.
Thanks for the input, have you ever rive a 8G? How would you say it compares not it has been lowered and on 18s?

Also how would you say it compares to other cars out there of similar size?

Thanks

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just went out for a test drive in a 9G, was a nice drive, however don't think I could personally justify the cost increase over my own car.

Sales man was very much pushing me to buy a brand new pearl white 1.8 sport. Was a very nice bit of kit, but with the costs involved I would never end up actually owning the car!

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I have just put my old Astra G 2.2 on Bilstein B6 shocks and Eibach pro kit springs back on the road and it is more comfortable in terms of ride comfort than my bog standard Civic 1.6 iDTEC on the crappy Sachs dampers. I don't know why but they just don't seem to be tuned with the springs very well, the standard 9g civic rides shockingly bad in my opinion, suspension is noisy and crashy over bumps and bouncy and never settles properly. Car was like this from brand new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sold my 8G type s because of the brutal ride. Decided I couldn't live with it anymore. Had the standard 17inch alloys on it.

I now have an astra 2.0 vx line with 19 's, sport suspension and the ride is miles better. I can't understand why Honda couldn't sort the suspension out. I've driven the 9G 1.6 and whilst it is better than the 8G, it's still a bit primitive on the suspension front.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Interesting that you also found the 9g not all that great a leap forward in terms of ride compared to 8g. Never driven the 8g, and the Astra g on paper is very similar set up, struts up front and torsion beam rear, bog standard cheapo car setup, but the Astra either on standard or uprated suspension is a bit more comfy I find.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I fitted H&R springs on my 9G tourer and even if the ride is firmer, I think it's more comfortable since the springs are progressive.

It now rides perfect in my opinion.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks for the input, have you ever rive a 8G? How would you say it compares not it has been lowered and on 18s?

Also how would you say it compares to other cars out there of similar size?

Thanks
I did ride a 8G for a day (while my 9G was in service) and it was horrible to be honest. I guess the Eibach'd 9G is firmer but less crashy if that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts