2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiro Toyoda, vice-president of Mugen Euro, said, “Environmental pressures mean naturally aspirated engines are rapidly being superseded by other engine architectures and technologies. We may never see the like of the K20 in a mainstream production car again, so it felt only fitting we mark the occasion with this special 2.2 version of the Honda Civic Type R.”

Altough he's not an internal Honda man, it may mean something for the next CTR, if any.

The news about the turbo-charged BTCC car may suggest too, that the new Type R (if any) will have a forced induction engine.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
There is not going to be a new Type R - all explained here Hot Honda Civic

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Hiro Toyoda, vice-president of Mugen Euro, said, “Environmental pressures mean naturally aspirated engines are rapidly being superseded by other engine architectures and technologies. We may never see the like of the K20 in a mainstream production car again, so it felt only fitting we mark the occasion with this special 2.2 version of the Honda Civic Type R.”

Altough he's not an internal Honda man, it may mean something for the next CTR, if any. All it means is if that there were to be another 'performance' engined 'hot hatch', the likelihood is that it won't be an N/A engine.

The news about the turbo-charged BTCC car may suggest too, that the new Type R (if any) will have a forced induction engine. - Nope, all that means is that Team Dynamics and Honda are following the change in the BTCC rules and fitting an NGTC specified engine. They run a turbo engine now in the Honda BTCC car as it is.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
It's not going to happen, as it would go completely against Honda's announced "way forward" for the next 10 years.
Green, Green and more Green, or they will be left behind.
BTW - A car powered by hydrogen, for the normal punter is 12 - 15 years away, so says my Honda Dealership owner.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just to quash it completely; I wrote the draft of that quote for him to sign-off and i can tell you there was no hidden message with regards to any future CTR.
What it means is that companies like Mugen are turning their efforts to things like the IMA hybrid system (and forced induction) as in the case with our CR-Z programmes in order to gain the performance we are looking for while at the same time not riding roughshod over the current emission regulations. We will continue to utilise whatever technology is available to us at any given time, whether that be mechanical, electric or something else.
The K20 has been a fantastic engine but unfortunately time and environmental requirements are catching up with it, but as with all things, something will (sooner or later) be used to fill the void.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was lying, I don't beleive you either. Without a Type R, there's no Honda, at least for me. Remember what Road & Track ( I guess they know one or two things about cars) wrote when the CR-Z was introduced: This new hybrid represents a turning point in the way the company will build sports car in the future. Well, I would be totally happy with a hybrid Type R as (judging form my CR-Z) this can be a way to keep happy revving and eliminating the lack of torque (in my humble opinion). As far as I know, a CR-Z Type R was already confirmed and I cannot see why Honda would left a chunky and growing (everyone is making a hot version and wants to be sporty) market share dominated by the CTR to the competition.
Anyway, I'm steel hoping and reasoning to my fun.

·
WARRIOR
2,107 Posts
Just to quash it completely; I wrote the draft of that quote for him to sign-off and i can tell you there was no hidden message with regards to any future CTR.
What it means is that companies like Mugen are turning their efforts to things like the IMA hybrid system (and forced induction) as in the case with our CR-Z programmes in order to gain the performance we are looking for while at the same time not riding roughshod over the current emission regulations. We will continue to utilise whatever technology is available to us at any given time, whether that be mechanical, electric or something else.
The K20 has been a fantastic engine but unfortunately time and environmental requirements are catching up with it, but as with all things, something will (sooner or later) be used to fill the void.
Mmmmmm, im focusing on the hidden message here.........aha i've got it

A Green TYPE R :cool::worms:

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Looks like the sales team at Newton Honda will have some excitement again instead of surrendering to the blue rinse Motorbility Jazz customers!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Strange that the dude who's on about fettling Honda's... is actually a Toyota!!!!! (Toyota of course only spelled that way as they couldn't fit "Toyoda" in Kana on the side of the factory I heard)

LOL anyhoo at that, and cries at no more R.....

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Deliveries commence in January 2012. In late 2012, a 1.6 diesel version arrives – expect sub-100g carbon emissions – and a Type R is also on its way."
CAR @ Frankfurt

1 - 20 of 33 Posts