2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had my 2.2ES for 2 months now, I am being increasingly disappointed by the performance of the engine. One of the main things that impressed me about my 8th gen was the low down grunt of the engine. Although the new one has only done 1.5K miles and is probably still tight, it is going to have to loosen up dramatically to even come close to my last one. The 9th gen is supposed to have approx 10bhp more than the old one. I’m not quiet sure were it is, as I’m certainly not seeing it.

I am however highly impressed by the MPG of the new model and I’m probably getting 7 MPG more over the same driving route. I do feel that they’ve probable tuned the engine for economy and ruined the low down grunt that I loved about my old car.

Has anyone else had similar experience when changing to the new car?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Can't speak for the diesel, but my my 9g did not seem as nippy as my old 8g. It feels better now with 3k on the clock and I think the better ride and sound insulation makes it feel slower than it is...

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
The 9th gen is a more refined drive, which does make a car feel slower due to being more controlled. That, along with a stiff engine, might be causing the slower feel.

It'd be interesting to compare dyno charts between the 8th and 9th gen dervs. It's all well saying peak power has improved, but it's mid to low rpm where we spend the most time in the real world.

·
Type R GT Milano GP Kit
2,262 Posts
Isn't It slightly bigger so slightly heavier? Just take it in for a remap. I did it with my Lancer from brand new and didn't affect my warranty still got lots of bits sorted through the warranty. ;-)

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
The 9th Gen 2.2 engine is a completely beast, to the previous 2.2, so it's bound to have different properties - get a 'mild' remap, for better response and mpg

The 1.8 is seemingly unchanged, but the 9th Gen car is heavier, so less nippy - trip to Elite Remaps, for them to do their magic on the ECU

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
They're about the same. According to Parkers a 9g 2.2SE is 20kg heavier than an 8g 2.2S. That could just be down to extra equipment in the base model though. I dunno.

·
Registered
743 Posts
its got 10hp and 7 lb ft torque more so not a massive hike, however the 9th gen has been tuned for better economy and lower C02 and as such the gear ratios are a lot longer so 30-50mph in 4th for eg is slower than the lower geared 8th gen, but yeah it should improve with some more miles under your belt

·
Down and Dirty
347 Posts
I find my dad's Accord with the 150 hp engine in it a tad lazy too...

·
Registered
365 Posts
The 9th gen is slightly quicker on paper 0 - 60 than the 8th gen. In the real world I believe it does feel quicker. Ive had both gens. 1st and 2nd gear are much too short in the 8th gen. 9th gen is definitely geared better and makes for smoother progress.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
A lot of of this may be down to gearing; in order to ace the government fuel consumption tests.

The throttle map could also be less agressive, to further help consumption.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It it quicker, especially on the mid revs. I've owned both 2.2s and the new. Turn off the eco button. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sorry, but you are wrong. I've even tried myself, the car is not much quicker from 0-100, about 0,4 sec. The real advantage is in 3 gear, on the mid range revs, thats typical diesel power. Lower air resistance (aerodynamic improvments) is one og the things, among the added torque.

·
Registered
215 Posts
slower by a mile,having had the 8th & 9th gen there is a big difference,mine has done 10k should be ok,but in all gears theres a lot less pull-sadly.:(

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Isn't It slightly bigger so slightly heavier? Just take it in for a remap. I did it with my Lancer from brand new and didn't affect my warranty still got lots of bits sorted through the warranty. ;-)
unfortunately don't think anyone can remap it :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts