2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

Firstly before i start i decided a few months ago that i really wanted a new civic, I looked on search engines galore trying to find out general info about this great car and one day i came across you guys.

What a breath of fresh air, I am quite a stickler for the odd gadget and this site has answered pretty much every question i had so i have now placed my order for my new Honda.

I am coming out of an Audi A3 2.0 T S-LINE .... Great car but had it stolen in December and decided to go for something else instead. I looked at everything Focus ST, Golf GTI and the Civic Type S, You may think it would be the Type R but for fuel reasons im going back to a diesel.

Ive ordered the Civic 2.2 CTDI Type s GT with sat nav & HFT. In Black.

I test drove all the others aswell but just kept coming back to the Civic. The diesel still put a huge smile on my face but was a bit kinder to my license !.As i mentioned the Audi was a truly great car and at 6.8 to 60MPH it also went well too but it lacked the spec list you get with the Civic and that sold it for me i was smitten which was a tall order once you have turned heads with the Audi. Problem was it was too many heads and one of those stole it !!.

Well im told my delivery date is early May so still driving around in the Nissan Micra i got from the insurance lease department ... Not good so wont go there... !

My only question is with regards to the HFT... ?

I understand you can record voice tags and that will be useful when calling out but can you programme tel nubers into the HFT system which will show the persons name who is calling when they ring me or will it just say call ?

Is the input of names just so that you can scroll them on screen when you want to dial out if you did'nt use the voice tag option ?

If anyone can give me some feedback that would be great.

This was my first posting so sorry to go on a little just wanted to express my delight at this brilliant web-site.:)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
No screen information here unfortunately.

And without the mods, even the h/f calling is not all that great.

......but don't throw away the car 'cos the phone don't work.

......the rest is fab.

......even in Black!

Don't forget to get onto www.timelife.com to keep you in touch while you're waiting.

......by the way, WELCOME!

"The first peice of luggage on the airport carousel belongs to no one!"

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
nice one just4 - exactly the right spec :D

As for HFT - it's a mixed bag...

Once setup properly (and '07 onwards they seem to be, us early adopters had a few issues), then the whole conversation bit of the call works pretty well.

On the downside, whilst you can indeed store names on the system, there is no option to display them anywhere - you just press the button on the steering wheel and say "phone home".

you can get it to read back all the ones you have set up, but that's of limited use.

As to incoming calls - unfortunately that is my one biggest gripe - it does only display the phone pic on the dash, though it does interuppt the radio with "you have an incoming call".

Some owners have resorted to having the phone handest itself announce who is calling, but this is obviously handset dependant :(

Oh, and a lot of find that for the very first call of the day, the HFT seems to be a bit deaf :lol:
Whenever I start the car, and make a call, it will completly misunderstand...
"call 121" always gets 'confirmed' as "star 8 7, say Call or Dial"
"redial" usually turns into "what number would you like to dial"

but second attempt 2 seconds later always then works :D

At the end of the day, it's not fantastic, but (for me anyway) its a lot better than a seperate cradle and wires.

Enjoy! :D

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Oh, and a lot of find that for the very first call of the day, the HFT seems to be a bit deaf :lol:
Whenever I start the car, and make a call, it will completly misunderstand...
"call 121" always gets 'confirmed' as "star 8 7, say Call or Dial"
"redial" usually turns into "what number would you like to dial"

but second attempt 2 seconds later always then works :D

Mine does this too..

Good summary though.
It is really good for incoming calls, but outgoing is a bit of a struggle.

Mine started speaking Spanish for the first time today.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
My HFT was also hit and miss until I applied the ½cm thick squashy foam pad (with central cutout) over the microphone.

I have had no issues with it understanding me since.

Being as the Civic HFT reply is female I wonder if I put some squashy foam round the wifes ears would that make any difference to being heard and understood indoors ?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
outdoors maybe Kremmen - as you're standing by the front door, talking through the letterbox "Look, I'm really really sorry, ok! Will you let me in now please!?" :lol:

The official Honda fix was strangely very similar to the DIY one which was worked ok on this very forum, months earlier! :D:D

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Mine arrived some time after the factory service bulletin was posted here.

It arrived with a fairly fine black gauze type material placed over the microphone aperture.

This Gauss still didn't solve the issue of the air gap between the microphone aperture and the grill on the plastic HUD unit which was causing the booming noise at speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hft A Bit Hit & Miss Then !!!

Thanks Guys for your feedback re HFT options.

Sounds like the system as a whole is a bit hit and miss. Prefer a bluetooth option than old style cradle & wires but sounds like they have not yet nailed it on the civic.

I await my new civic with fingers crossed it works !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts