2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a couple of years back, I had an accident whilst listed as the 2nd driver on my Dad's policy. We're about to part ways, insurance wise, but which one of us needs to declare this accident (non-fault, btw) on our insurance once we've both got our own?

I was driving, but it was his policy. I asked my current insurance company, but you'd think I just asked them to list the value of Pi to a thousand decimal places from the head scratching I got. They eventually concluded that we should both declare it, but surely this can't be the case?

I don't see how both of us should/could get nailed for future insurance hikes because of one accident. My logic would suggest it's me that declares it, as it was me driving, but then there's not always much logic in the world of insurance.

Any thoughts?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
My logic would suggest it's me that declares it, as it was me driving
That would be my viewpoint. It's declared, and your dad takes no penalty for it. After all, I believe the questions on insurance forms are worded to the effect of "Have you or any named drivers had any motor insurance claims or incidents in the last 5 years?" Obviously when you've got different policies you answer "Yes" and your dad answers "No" and it's all above board.

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
don't get me started on that rip off fiasco :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
That would be my viewpoint. It's declared, and your dad takes no penalty for it. After all, I believe the questions on insurance forms are worded to the effect of "Have you or any named drivers had any motor insurance claims or incidents in the last 5 years?" Obviously when you've got different policies you answer "Yes" and your dad answers "No" and it's all above board.
But when you say,'Have you' being the main driver/policy holder, had any motor insurance claims, surely his father has to answer 'yes'.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
My friend works in claims for a insurance company, I will ask her for you. The problem with insurance company's is the only language they understand is
£££££££££

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Like a cookie monster that eats money.

If your a named driver pretty sure ** the one who needs to declare. Your dad should not need to declare nout.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi Johnny Boy,

Syx and total_k-os are spot on.

It's the individual that was the driver at the time of the incident that would have to declare the incident when seeking Insurance.

If your father removed you from the policy he would not have to declare the claim.

The claim would be registered upon the Claims and Underwriting Exchange database (that holds details of all claims made) and providing your father's Insurer have supplied the detail correctly this will be listed as a claim under your name.

Kind regards

Tony

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Johnny Boy,

Syx and total_k-os are spot on.

It's the individual that was the driver at the time of the incident that would have to declare the incident when seeking Insurance.

If your father removed you from the policy he would not have to declare the claim.

The claim would be registered upon the Claims and Underwriting Exchange database (that holds details of all claims made) and providing your father's Insurer have supplied the detail correctly this will be listed as a claim under your name.

Kind regards

Tony
Thanks for clearing that up, I'll have to make doubly sure they've got all the details right, as they'd even screwed up on the court paperwork, lol. Thankfully it's a non-fault claim anyway, so I'm hoping it won't hurt too much regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts