2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've bought a new A/C condenser for my 2007 Civic ES. Found a couple of guides on how to change it (one without taking the bumper off!).

I had the car re-gassed last year but it leaked out same day, but down to a faulty condenser. Just wondering if there's anything to look out for? Also, what size o-rings do I need and how many?

I noticed that the filament on the new condenser is slightly bent in one place too, does this make a difference or shall I swap it?

Thanks!

·
3,709 Posts
If you bought it new and it's damaged, then swap it for a perfect one.
Or do you want to run the risk of a further leak at the damaged point later?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you bought it new and it's damaged, then swap it for a perfect one.
Or do you want to run the risk of a further leak at the damaged point later?
Ok yeah I will replace, I just didn't really understand the implication of one small bit being slightly bent!

·
Administrator
18,057 Posts
Sigh, such a shame that the condensor has failed too #unlucky

You'll need specific AC o-rings, as they are often odd sizes and you only need a few then I suggest you just get them from Honda. Or the local auto factor if that's where you're collecting your condensor from. Use the appropriate lube too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sigh, such a shame that the condensor has failed too #unlucky

You'll need specific AC o-rings, as they are often odd sizes and you only need a few then I suggest you just get them from Honda. Or the local auto factor if that's where you're collecting your condensor from. Use the appropriate lube too.
Ah oh, thanks! I got a multi pack from Euros when I collected the condenser, but I have no idea if they're the right size. I'll give Honda a call.

Is there anything else I should be aware of whilst changing the condenser? No bleeding needed I presume?

·
Administrator
18,057 Posts
Are the o-rings you bought, specifically for AC systems?

Before you disconnect the condensor you should ensure the system has been safely depressurised, it's illegal to deliberately vent to the atmosphere. There are enough AC systems leaking of their own accord, without adding to the environmental time bomb.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the o-rings you bought, specifically for AC systems?

Before you disconnect the condensor you should ensure the system has been safely depressurised, it's illegal to deliberately vent to the atmosphere. There are enough AC systems leaking of their own accord, without adding to the environmental time bomb.
I don't think they're specifically for AC.

The re-gas last time lasted all of 3 hours, so I don't think there's anything left to leak out! Is it ok to just disconnect the condenser and reconnect in this case? I do most of my own work on cars, but never really done anything with AC before. Just all of the quotes have been ridiculous so far (£250+) just for labour.

·
Administrator
18,057 Posts
Okay, if your AC has barfed then you should be okay to just swap out the condensor.

Once the bonnet latch is unbolted out of the way, then the condensor can be wiggled out.

I removed the grill and bumper to ease access.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Ah oh, thanks! I got a multi pack from Euros when I collected the condenser, but I have no idea if they're the right size. I'll give Honda a call.

Is there anything else I should be aware of whilst changing the condenser? No bleeding needed I presume?
I have a multi pack here of various sized o rings for just such a job! (Im replacing my own condenser as well).

SHoot me a PM with your address and ill send you two of each size for free. They need to be dipped in PAG46 oil before installation and i also highly recommend new bolts from Honda which are an eye watering £1.16 each :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay, if your AC has barfed then you should be okay to just swap out the condensor.

Once the bonnet latch is unbolted out of the way, then the condensor can be wiggled out.

I removed the grill and bumper to ease access.

Good luck.
Thanks!

I have a multi pack here of various sized o rings for just such a job! (Im replacing my own condenser as well).

SHoot me a PM with your address and ill send you two of each size for free. They need to be dipped in PAG46 oil before installation and i also highly recommend new bolts from Honda which are an eye watering £1.16 each :)
Thankyou! That's much appreciated. I'll send you a PM.

I can only seem to send you a 'Visitor message'? I'm probably being stupid though!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to question if its worthwhile doing the condenser as DIY. My partners 2008 civic needed new condenser and the honda dealer quoted £650 fitted to replace. I rang them back and asked would they be prepared to fit a non genuine condenser and they came back to me with a price of £270 all in. As the condenser part is about £100 to buy and a proper regas is about £75 so i didn't think the DIY saving would be worthwhile, and they vacuumed out the system and put the proper oil in etc.

They did the repair back in jan and its still working now, I liked having the dealer do it as they are used to taking off the bumper and doing the job properly and would replace any brital clips they broke. Its nice having ice cold air in this weather. Fingers crossed it keeps working after the investment.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Hella is OEM to Honda and the part is £85.

Clips are a few pence each and the process of removing the bumper is quite easy.

While mikes off I’m doing the radiator brackets, horns, headlight bracket, condenser and the support beam.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to question if its worthwhile doing the condenser as DIY. My partners 2008 civic needed new condenser and the honda dealer quoted £650 fitted to replace. I rang them back and asked would they be prepared to fit a non genuine condenser and they came back to me with a price of £270 all in. As the condenser part is about £100 to buy and a proper regas is about £75 so i didn't think the DIY saving would be worthwhile, and they vacuumed out the system and put the proper oil in etc.

They did the repair back in jan and its still working now, I liked having the dealer do it as they are used to taking off the bumper and doing the job properly and would replace any brital clips they broke. Its nice having ice cold air in this weather. Fingers crossed it keeps working after the investment.
Condenser with dryer was £63 for me! Cheapest I've found labour wise is £265 including the regas (not including the part). I'll give Honda a call out of interest, but can't imagine it'll be that cheap. I'd rather save myself £200 and give it a go myself on a weekend I think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone have an exact part number for the AC Condenser O Rings and how many I need? Phoned Honda and the guy said it's probably "these" ones but it's coming up with 3 different options and he thinks that I need 3 of them. Total was £9!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts