2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've recently opened the oil fill cap on my 1.8 Petrol and I've noticed a little build of up creamy gunk, usually associated with a blown head gasket. I thought it may have been due to me driving like an old lady, typically babying my precious car so I decided to put my foot down (a little) on some commutes to and from work to see if it would clear up but I'm afraid not - my commute is also quite lengthy, around 40 minutes and typically motorway speeds for 70% of my journey which leads me to believe the engine should be plenty warm to remove any condensation build up.

Here's a picture of the build up:

https://imgur.com/vGHyOc3

Should I be concerned about this? It almost looks like there's a seal broken at that specific part in the engine as it's coming from the side, at least it looks like that to me but I honestly don't know what's behind that part of the engine.

Any advice would be great, I also think my car has some warranty left on it in case it's worse than I fear.

Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,
I can't tell from the picture what it is but if it was a blown head gasket or overly gentle driving or lack of oil changes the gunk would be much more apparent.
You would be able to scoop it up with your fingers from the bottom of the filler cap and around the inside of the opening.

·
Super Moderator
2,207 Posts
whats the oil like on dipstick
if its down to head gasket failure all the oil will be contaminated and will change colour on the dip stick aswell
is your coolant leval dropping ? if not then the water isn't going into the oil

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you are lucky enough to still have a warranty I would recommend you taking it in as soon as possible as its a sigh there could be something amiss just as you fear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have not tried to wipe it away, not sure if it would be good idea or not.. I'm by no means a mechanic but I'm thinking leaving it there may stem any further leakage, also when I take it to Honda they can see first hand what I mean :)

whats the oil like on dipstick
if its down to head gasket failure all the oil will be contaminated and will change colour on the dip stick aswell
is your coolant leval dropping ? if not then the water isn't going into the oil
Everywhere is clear except that little bit of build up - from what I can visibly see anyway. I have checked the coolant from the top reservoir and that always seems to be full to the top after taking the cap off.. If I'm not mistaken there's another reservoir which is lower down behind the front grille, I haven't checked there yet though.

If you are lucky enough to still have a warranty I would recommend you taking it in as soon as possible as its a sigh there could be something amiss just as you fear.
Yes I believe it's expiring fairly soon so I best get on it, I am guessing if I make them aware of the problem before it expires then it's still under warranty or if it expires during the period of reporting the issue to it getting looked at fixed am I out of luck?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts