2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so this is going to sound a bit daft but please bear with me!

I clean my car regularly and in particular try to prevent the alloys from accumulating too much brake dust. I've noticed when driving immediately after cleaning the wheels that the car feels different to drive, in a good way. The car feels lighter and more responsive when accelerating from stationary and generally seems to roll more freely.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Is it just the build up of dirt and brake dust causing friction somewhere? If so, I'd be surprised that it would have such an effect. Or it could it be something else?

It's bizarre how much of a difference it makes.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw it out there, so comments please!

:popcorn:

Disclaimer: I don't actually believe a clean FN2 will give you better performance or increase your bhp.

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
I find i get more downforce when my car is dirty and it sticks to the road better..

·
Registered
17 Posts
This a definite physiological phenomenon.....whenever I clean my car I feel the same and many of my friends have mentioned it.

Car just feels better when all shiny and clean.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
Surely its all aerodynamics. A clean car is smoother and therefore has better airflow. Smoother airflow could add a few mph........ Lol.

I know this probably doesn't work at car speeds but im sure in WW2 They discovered that polished metal finished aeroplanes were faster than painted ones down to smoother airflow (and about a ton lighter due to no paint!) :D

sent from fraggle rock

Reactions: MeganoOdles

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This a definite physiological phenomenon.....whenever I clean my car I feel the same and many of my friends have mentioned it.

Car just feels better when all shiny and clean.
We definitely need to get somebody to look into this...

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Can't honestly believe what I'm reading here. I clean my own as often as possible using proper technique and quality products but for God sake, seriously!

I can grasp the aerodynamic logic but come on, must be a wind up.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't honestly believe what I'm reading here. I clean my own as often as possible using proper technique and quality products but for God sake, seriously!

I can grasp the aerodynamic logic but come on, must be a wind up.
Are you using the two bucket method?

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
lol live a little!

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
Myth busters devoted a full episode to this Dirty is more aerodynamic fact same principle as golf balls oddly enough :). Enjoy below , YouTube links to the episode below

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
?? Golf balls only work because of their spin. Can't see how that would work on a car....( can't see vids phone internet isn't fast enough where im currently sat)

sent from fraggle rock

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Rally cars gather 40kg on a muddy stage . that's why they are power washed every stop.

Road cars though........

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
Watch the clips when you get a chance , I was very surprised. Something to with airflow making an envelope around your car, same way the dimples on a golf ball make a pocket kinda like a supercavitating torpedo in water.

It'll make much more sense when they show you how and why

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
Think i can see where your coming from. Makes a little sense.

sent from fraggle rock

·
JAPFEST Event Organiser
817 Posts
A bird sh*at on my bonnet and I instantly realised that I lost around 0.3 secs from 0-100 mph.

Don't get me started on the corners, it made it understeer like an absolute t u r d

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
I've always thought mine performs better after a good wash but then it maybe that the weather is usually warmer than it normally is, so could be down to warmer weather? but I agree with the op it does seem to drive better

1 - 20 of 33 Posts