2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

As some of you may know I have just purchased an Type R with 48K on the clock.

I'm looking to get it serviced soon however I like to drop the oil and filter ever 6K miles and for piece of mind I will do this myself shortly.

Q1, I just want to know what filter you would recommend and what oil? I was thinking 5w35 fully synth, brand I am yet to decide on.

Q2, I am going to be replacing all of my tyres so I have some in mind but again thoughts please.

1, 4x RE050A 225/40 R18

2, 4x AD08 225/40 R18

3, 4x P Zeros 225/40/ R18

Q3, I have a wheel in need of replacing. As such new alloys are being looked at. Would anyone have any to recommend? I have been looking at the ROTA GRIDs in a dark gun metal or black. They certainly look the part however I am looking to reduce unsprung weight too so as said, suggestions please (with links to save me searching lol)

Q4, Tegiwa induction kit with K&N filter. Is this a good as reviews would suggest for the money or should I be looking at something else? I dont want to have my filter suffer from heat soak so this being quite close to the stock in terms of its functional design looks to be a winner for me. Suggestions again welcome.

So, hope that covers my Qs, if I have any more I will add as and when :)

Thanks in advance!

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lots of views but no comments, Im shocked lol! :p

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Q2.. Goodyear asymmetric 2 are sublime in the dry and especially in the wet.

Q4.. I have the Tegiwa intake. Great piece of kit. All the Mugen R&D and performance at a fraction of the price.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Q2 Not the RE050A. Cant comment on the others but iv just replaced my factory Bridgestones for Toyo T1R and seen a major improvement in grip. Although havent driven it in the wet yet.

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Q1 - Honda OEM filter and Castrol Edge 0w30.
Thanks for the reply, ill have a look at that, see where I can go with it.

Q2.. Goodyear asymmetric 2 are sublime in the dry and especially in the wet.

Q4.. I have the Tegiwa intake. Great piece of kit. All the Mugen R&D and performance at a fraction of the price.
Thanks for the info on the intake, I think its probably a sure fire winner then. Ill have a look into those tyres and will report back. AD08s are my top pick so far however I had heard good things about the other two.

Q2 Not the RE050A. Cant comment on the others but iv just replaced my factory Bridgestones for Toyo T1R and seen a major improvement in grip. Although havent driven it in the wet yet.
Same as above.. AD08s were my top pick but I will have a look at the Toyo as I have had no issues with toyo in the past. Thanks for the info on the RE050A, I've not spoken to anyone with an FN2 who has used them, only those driving EP3s but we have two similar yet different animals there so worth your view on it.

Thanks chaps! Anyone else who wants to have a stab then please do, I'm all ears! :)
Q3 - Group buy on TD Pro Race 1.2's

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/group-buys/75383-td-pro-race-1-2-alloys.html

Think they look amazing on civic IMO :)
Nice ish wheels but not my cup of tea as you may have noticed with the ROTA GRID selections lol! :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Q1
I recomend the Millers CFS 5w40 NT. It will help to protect your engine and will lower the temperature of engine. Of course buy OEM Honda oil filter!

Q2.
Many of my friends who have tuned Hondas (for example B16A2 engines) are using Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and they are satisfied with this tyre. I have Toyo Proxes T1R (225/45/17) on my BMW E91 and on the wet road the grip is very poor...

Maybe think about Bridgestone Potenza S001 because its newer than RE050A and probably better :)

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
Oil, castrol Edge 0w30. (as recommended by Honda)
Air filter, both Mugen and tegiwa systems use the K&N panel filter so I would suggest that is a good option.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 or Continental Sport Contact 5 ...

Oil Filter - get the 'Hamp' unit from Tegiwa in here - and throw in their Magnetic Sump Plug as well - and their NGK Iridium Plugs are excellent ...

Oil - as others wrote - any top notch 0w-30 - or perhaps 0w-40 if you intend to thrash it on Autobahns or Track ...

Air Intake - PASS ! - I have a 1.8 with a K&N 57i, but I've now bought an AEM CAI to replace it ...

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
I'm very impressed with the toyo t1-rs - wet and dry they're great imo. I think tdi North ran their FN2 recently on toyo t1rs round a wet track and gave them the thumbs up..

I've got a mugen intake and love it. Tegiwa is 99.9% the same apparantley so all good.

rotas are a massive weight saving and good value too. standard type-r 18s are nearly 12kg so anything around the 8-9 makes a good difference.

oil as others have said already...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Q1: Honda OEM filter. I have used the Castrol Edge Sport 0W40. You could consider the Motul 300V 5W40.
Q2: Not the RE050A. If you go for the AD08 I suggest you NOT to use them when it's really cold as they are not designed for winter temperatures. I have a set of winter tires on OEM alloys.
Q3: I have Rota P1 as they are lighter. You could also consider some Rota GR6 as they were specially developed for the CTRs.
Q4: Gruppe M intake box. But it's quite expensive. The advantage is that it works fine without removing the fog lights. The Tegiwa and the Mugen boxes suggest to remove one fog light to plug a bumper scoop and create a "dynamic air intake effect".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts