2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not much of a poster but i just had to express my feelings on my type r and take the opportunity to ask a few questions.

My previous car was a 1.2ltr so this has been a big step up. The power available is sometimes scary but the roar of the engine is absolutely fantastic, I can't stop driving this thing. The feeling that you have to work to get the best out of the car is something I look forward to. Enough of me going on about how great the car is, you already know!!

1: At first I was surprised when I opened the boot and found it had no light. After taking a look under the fake floor I found the boot light/casing under some car mats(which dont seem to fit?!?:confused:). I also located where the light is supposed to plug in. Is this something I can easily connect myself? At the moment i have left it for fear of damaging something.

2: When starting the car from cold after a few hours (about 9+) the engine idles at around 1500RPM but when starting warm it idles about 1000RPM. Is this difference normal or anything to be worried about?

3: The washer fluid smells, quite frankly, horrific - think stagnant water. Is there anyway I can completely drain this and/or clean it?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Glad you like the car mate. :), bot sure about the light without looking at it,

The idle is correct mine idles at around 1500rpm then drops to aroun 500-1000,

Best thing to do the washers is go to a garage, we're there is water and just flush it out.

Enjoy the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
When I bought
One the washers smelt. Prob been stood a while I put up with it and just filled it a couple of times and it's fine now - hope you enjoy the car

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Glad you like the car mate. :), bot sure about the light without looking at it,

The idle is correct mine idles at around 1500rpm then drops to aroun 500-1000,

Best thing to do the washers is go to a garage, we're there is water and just flush it out.

Enjoy the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 exactly what owls said. Mine actually idles at nearly 2k rpm when cold but i have flashpro and other mods so thats probably why.

enjoy your new car and remember to give it some respect - bit different to a 1.2. Not preaching but i learned the hard way a while ago....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Enjoy it mate and the VSA is always there to help stop you getting into too much trouble...

o

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
that's the best advice ever with those engines ;)

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
i guess better safe than sorry!

i did have a toyota engine go bang with no oil in it. v expensive...

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
1: At first I was surprised when I opened the boot and found it had no light. After taking a look under the fake floor I found the boot light/casing under some car mats(which dont seem to fit?!?:confused:). I also located where the light is supposed to plug in. Is this something I can easily connect myself? At the moment i have left it for fear of damaging something.

A lot of dealers disconnect the light so they can leave the boot open on display but it doesn't flatten the battery. Guess this is what happened with yours and the numpty saleman put the wrong light (and mats) in your car. Sure someone on fleabay is selling one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A lot of dealers disconnect the light so they can leave the boot open on display but it doesn't flatten the battery. Guess this is what happened with yours and the numpty saleman put the wrong light (and mats) in your car. Sure someone on fleabay is selling one.
Ahhh this has happen to mine then! The boot light fitting is in the boot, the bulb is fitted but the wire has gone :( !! Is it easy to remove the trim and find the cable?

Thanks - Dave

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advise so far.

With regards to the washer bottle, how can I empty this other than keep using the window washers? Is there anyway to remove it so I can give it a good clean. Perhaps there is something I can add to disinfect it without removing it? At the moment I have just been topping it up with water and bog standard washer fluid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My last car had stagnant water in the washer bottle and it stunk aswel. Best thing to do is stick a hosepipe into the top of the washer fluid bottle and flush the water out for a couple of minutes. Then top up with screenwash as normal. Or if you don't have a hosepipe, go to a garage and do the same using their water machine.

The light should easily connect and plug in, if you can't do it post a picture of what you have.

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,601 Posts
every week?! thats insane.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Ahhh this has happen to mine then! The boot light fitting is in the boot, the bulb is fitted but the wire has gone :( !! Is it easy to remove the trim and find the cable?

Thanks - Dave
It's a big panel to remove, try fishing around with a coat hanger first otherwise have a look at the guide on fitting reversing sensors as this shows how to remove the panel. You will just need to ease open the top of it to see where the wire is.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use around 1 litre of oil each month which is around 1000 miles. As for the washer bottle just drop a hose in it and the old water will eventually come out. (obviously with running water). To get the best out of your type r you should learn how to match the revs with the engine, heel and toe. Makes the car smoother when driving at pace and more controlable through the twisty's. My car revs at 2000rpm on a cold start then drops to 1500 rpm the will idle at around 900-1000 when warmed up. You will also notice you cannot engage the vtec system when the engine is cold. Silly TBH if you try. You also might find the brakes are poor if they are OEM ones. A decent set of aftermarket pads and some braided hoses was one of my first mods. It makes a huge difference ecspecially if you fit a 6 line kit and change the fluid for some rbf600. The mild understeer the car suffers from can be cured with some eibach camber bolts and a decent set up front and rear this transforms the cars ride when fitted with some eibach springs. One of the worst things you could do to your car is fit poor quality tires. When I 1st got my type r it had some fullruns on the front which allowed me to wheel spin in 4th gear in the wet.lol They were changed when I had the cash. The gear box oil is meant to be changed at 50k i beleive. Some cars suffer from 3rd gear syncro problems which can be annoying and embarasing when it crunches and wont go into gear. If you do find something wrong with your car, the chances are you will find a post on this forum or a how-to to fix it. Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts