2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my 2004 honda civic, recently broke down because of a belt tensioner failure as a result its had all valves changed, cam kit and cam sensor done. since the work has been done it fast idols at 2000 rpm then drops to 1000 rpm for a second or so then returns to 2000 rpm. also the engine is in limpo mode as the engine max's out at 3500 rpm whilst vehicle is in neutral. apparently when driving it drives fine and just has this problem when stood still. checked all air intake doesnt seem to be any leaks, checked for any engine codes on the ecu but nothing showing. but when the map sensors removed the idol problem disappears and the engine runs normal. once its plugged bk in and the faulty map sensor engine codes deleted the fast idol returns. (the faulty map sensor code only comes up after its been unplugged).
any information or advice much appreciated.

regards john

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I know that it is normal for the d16v1 SOHC vtec engine to limit at 4000rpm when at a standstill, sorry I can't help much further than that :confused:

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
john 87" thanks for being the only person to even attempt to help with my fluctuation problem however turned out to be an air valve seal had it replaced now the fluctuation problem has gone and this particular engine does max out a 4,000 rpm when vehicle in park to prevent any engine damage...
.........however just as a tip for everyone else if you have high mileage on your car and are considering a timing belt change you may wish to seriously consider a timing kit also mines decided to leave go sparking the beginning of my problems with my honda a bill of £1000 plus

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi john, im new on here so bare with me. ive got an 2004 uk type R and the tensioner went just this week. ive sourced a replacement engine which im dropping in tomorrow. on inspection today the valve seats have broke and 1 bent inlet valve. think this has broken off a small part of the piston ring which i found in the inlet manifold. head still on at the mo. had the car 5 years and no trouble. gutted! did you find the reason for failure?

·
Registered
1 Posts
john 87" thanks for being the only person to even attempt to help with my fluctuation problem however turned out to be an air valve seal had it replaced now the fluctuation problem has gone and this particular engine does max out a 4,000 rpm when vehicle in park to prevent any engine damage...
.........however just as a tip for everyone else if you have high mileage on your car and are considering a timing belt change you may wish to seriously consider a timing kit also mines decided to leave go sparking the beginning of my problems with my honda a bill of £1000 plus

hi im having the same problem i am really stuck please help !!! what air valve did you change dont understand what you mean ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts