2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started on the double din install today which has gone pretty well so far, removed the eom system, moved the retaining clips and the warning light part over to the new fascia although I just cannot get the air vents off of the original fascia, the 2 screws have been removed and I just cannot work out what is still holding it in place???

Secondly, due to the lack of light, I will have to finish off in the morning, is the vehicle safe to drive as it is?? Just worried about all those bits and pieces no longer attached from the original stereo, linking to the display also, is there anything to worry about?

All help appreciated, thanks

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Perfectly fine to drive around with it like that, you just won't have the display working.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The vents can sometimes be tricky, mine just popped out but others have had real problems. I think you just have to be brave and press on the vent using both thumbs.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got the air vent section off, jeez what a ******* of a job that was...... The noise it made when it eventually sprang loose was terrifying :p It sounded like it had broke into a million pieces!!

Need some more advice :p My plan is to install the mini GPS receiver in the section above the radio (where you remove the 3 screws) I understand the reception is still very good in this location and I like the fact that it is out of the way. Now... Did not get a chance to take a really good look although I did not see any way of routing anything from the radio section below into this area, have I missed something? Would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this.

Secondly, I am not 100% sure of how to install the mic properly, I know where I want it placed but once again I would like to hear from others who have done this, how did you guys root it away from the radio??

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I ran the mic across the footwell to the drivers door, take the rubber seal off the door and the wire tucks nicely in and up behind the a pillar trim, across the roof lining just tucking the wire in as you go so the mic pops out by the sun visor and use the clip to attach the mic. Works a treat there.

Alternatively you could just stick the mic to the top of the a pillar :)

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Just be careful tucking things into the A-pillar as an airbag resides there and you won't want to damage it or prevent it deploying correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
If you just tuck it behind it won't interfere work the airbag and there's no explosives behind the a pillar, they're further up so won't be a problem :)

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you just tuck it behind it won't interfere work the airbag and there's no explosives behind the a pillar, they're further up so won't be a problem :)
How have you found the stock mic mate? Does it pick up enough sound on busy roads etc?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I did the same as Dan, and mine is mounted here

Pointed right at my face and zero issues with road noise.
The only problem I have is sometimes I'll knock it out of the clip mount but it just pops straight back in again.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The lead for the GPS aerial pops through the hole under the clock straight through to the head unit, it's where the Honda one goes. Stuck mine in place with strong double sided tape.

I mounted my microphone in that notch in the trim just under the rev counter. I tried a few places but that sounded best plus is really discrete.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The lead for the GPS aerial pops through the hole under the clock straight through to the head unit, it's where the Honda one goes. Stuck mine in place with strong double sided tape.

I mounted my microphone in that notch in the trim just under the rev counter. I tried a few places but that sounded best plus is really discrete.
Now that sounds ideal! Take it you have yours in that location currently? Does it manage to hold the satellites well?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh dear just had a thought, never heard anyone mention anything about it on these threads but I am worried :mad:

The fascia did not arrive with a cage... I take it the provided cage that was provided with my head unit will fit just fine into the Civic?

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Oh dear just had a thought, never heard anyone mention anything about it on these threads but I am worried :mad:

The fascia did not arrive with a cage... I take it the provided cage that was provided with my head unit will fit just fine into the Civic?
Yep, cage comes with the head units usually.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts

I've always had 100% perfect GPS signal with it sat there, but I haven't driven through an extremely built-up area yet.

The kit should come with two plastic rails instead of a cage. Unless you purchased the genuine kit, in which case it comes with a cage.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've always had 100% perfect GPS signal with it sat there, but I haven't driven through an extremely built-up area yet.

The kit should come with two plastic rails instead of a cage. Unless you purchased the genuine kit, in which case it comes with a cage.
I did wonder about those plastic bits, how on earth do they work as a cage?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I did wonder about those plastic bits, how on earth do they work as a cage?
Three screws on each one, attached to the fascia from behind.

This is the best picture I have of it which doesn't really help much I'm afraid...

http://callcut.eu.org/uploads/ICE-Install/thumbnails/2013-11-03 14.53.06.jpg
Showing part of cage

You can just about see one on the left. You will need some bolts to attach the headunit to the plastic parts, but the screws to connect the plastic rails to the fascia should be included.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some kind of instruction would of been useful with this set, might make more sense when I have a look in the morning. So, these clips can be installed instead of the supplied Pioneer cage that comes with the head unit right?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Yes, you can throw away the Pioneer cage and screw the headunit directly to the fascia brackets.

What head unit do you have? mine is a Pioneer 940bt and I have always had very good GPS data after mounting the aerial where yours is going.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Some kind of instruction would of been useful with this set, might make more sense when I have a look in the morning. So, these clips can be installed instead of the supplied Pioneer cage that comes with the head unit right?
Should be able to, yes. I think the supplied cage does not work with the fascia, seem to remember the fascia needing a 103mm cage, but most units come with a 113mm cage, something like that anyway.

If you haven't got instructions you can download them from C2 Civic Full Kit RHD if you just press the PDF icon.

But, they make no mention of the actual fascia :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts