2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an old discussion but this is probably the most complete performance comparison I've come across

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that is the difference tbh, that and the balance shafts in the fn2.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Slightly different result here ...

Not convinced about the breaking result at the end though :)

Given the FN2 'lost' around 5-10bhp by having the oil pump changed, does anyone know where Honda 'reclaimed' that loss to get it back to 201bhp?

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
FN2 has better inlet manifold, better intake tract, better flowing cylinder head. better final drive... remember the EP3 is an old car with an older version of the K20.... the ultimate K20 engine is the K20A in the FD2 which has better pistons (higher compression), oil pump, and cylinder head.

EP3 = 200hp @ 7400RPM 139ftlb @ 5900ROM
FN2 = 201hp @ 7800RPM 142 ftlb @ 5600RPM

And remember most K20Z4's dyno a lot higher than 201hp ..

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Thanks, didnt know any of that. Shame they didnt offer a 'cup' version of sorts with the FN2, much like the FD2 but maybe people wouldn't have paid 23\24k for a Type-R back in 2006??

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ep3 is 197bhp and 145lbft. Power to weight 14.8lbs/hp
FN2 is 198bhp and 142lbft. Power to weight 15.9lbs/hp

The RSP mani on the fn2 is decent, that's why more gains are seen on ep3 when putting the RRC on for example :)

My ep3 is a few months older than the first fn2 :flute:

It's gained 18bhp and 10 lbft just from a catback and induction kit. I'm hoping for an additional 10-15bhp and 7-8 lbft when the IMG and RRC are added.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I'm at 215 at the moment with CAI, FD2 oil pump and remap. The only other engine mod I'm thinking of is the 421 header (with a 400 cat) ... is it worth doing on its own? Don't really want to mess around with anything else.

Beyond that, want some TD wheels and possibly swap the seats out.

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A better flowing exhaust? When I swapped my fn2 exhaust to a milltek I was surprised at how the oem looked when taken off the car.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Thanks, didnt know any of that. Shame they didnt offer a 'cup' version of sorts with the FN2, much like the FD2 but maybe people wouldn't have paid 23\24k for a Type-R back in 2006??

Sure the non guy models were like the cup equivalent. No extras and slightly lighter.

I think the top price for a GT was 18k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cars were a lot cheaper 10/15 years ago.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Just been doing some research on EP3 and FN2 weights as I'm looking to go on a diet ... me and the car! :)

FN2 GT
Weigh bridge with full tank - 1320kg (+/- 10kg)
'Kerb' weight in brochure - 1267kg
Difference - 53kg

EP3 facelift
Weigh bridge with full tank - 1245kg (+/- 10kg)
'Kerb' weight in brochure - 1204kg
Difference - 41kg

Given the error margin on a weigh bridge, the 'kerb' weights from the brochure must be accurate with no fuel and\or no fluids

So based on brochure kerb weights there is only a 63kg difference between them ... I thought it was a lot more than that??

Mine should be around 100kg less for track days as i'll be removing all the seats (total ~90kg) and using a 6kg kevlar drivers seat. Once I get the TD alloys that should put me over 100kg easily (+ FD2 oil pump and Brembos).

I'll try to get mine on a weigh bridge once everything is done to confirm. Hopefully I'll be around 1210kg with a full tank.

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The rear seats are heavy in the fn2. One thing I will say is that it's not totally beneficial to strip out too much. It may be lighter but it can upset the balance when cornering.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Yeah, thought about that, so if I take out all the seats and only put a lightweight drivers seat back in, it should be weighted similar to stock I guess.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you'll be ok with that.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Fuel tank being in the middle of the car low down helps the FN with stability.

TDI Norths time attack car was said to corner amazingly just on springs.... (before the full on race suspension)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
@jakabi

Just came across this pic of mine with Team Dynamics pro race 1.2s. They are 3kg per wheel lighter than oem :wink3:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Thanks Flashy, they are the favs at the minute with a nice weight saving.

Looks like a clean FN you had there

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts