2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Time flies when you're having fun! My introductory detailing thread on this forum can be seen here; http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cleaning/66537-magical-honda.html

I have had this car back in only last week.. came in looking like so :eek:

Anyway, it ws booked in for a Maintenance Detail / Winter Protection. Since the car had previously been coated with a Ceramic sealant it would give me chance to see if it lived up to the claims of such long lasting protection and hardness....

On with the detail, wheels were cleaned.. yeah right!

Needed two hits of Iron-X..

Obligatory snow foam shot - I don't know what us detailers would do without such standard images.. ;)

Clay..

Ceramic sealant had almost failed on upper most surfaces, infact it was about dead.. on the vertical sides it was ok however.. encouraging.

One washed and dried etc etc etc it was taken indoors for protection again. Decided to check how the paint was looking, baring in mind I machine polished this last year, it's done alot of miles and hasn't particularly been washed as I would do it :cool: The ceramic had proved it's worth in the hardness stakes I'd say?

Mitchell & King MD5 Prototype wax applied. Big improvements with this, now much easier to work with :)

Thanks for looking, and as always any comments, questions, or suggestions of jumping on band wagons are most welcome :popcorn:

Best wishes,
Matt.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Looks stunning

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Do you think if the car had been washed more regularly and properly, the finish would have held up better or less good?
I'm really interested in that wax Matt

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Hello all,

Time flies when you're having fun! My introductory detailing thread on this forum can be seen here; http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cleaning/66537-magical-honda.html

I have had this car back in only last week.. came in looking like so :eek:

Anyway, it ws booked in for a Maintenance Detail / Winter Protection. Since the car had previously been coated with a Ceramic sealant it would give me chance to see if it lived up to the claims of such long lasting protection and hardness....

On with the detail, wheels were cleaned.. yeah right!

Needed two hits of Iron-X..

Obligatory snow foam shot - I don't know what us detailers would do without such standard images.. ;)

Clay..

Ceramic sealant had almost failed on upper most surfaces, infact it was about dead.. on the vertical sides it was ok however.. encouraging.

One washed and dried etc etc etc it was taken indoors for protection again. Decided to check how the paint was looking, baring in mind I machine polished this last year, it's done alot of miles and hasn't particularly been washed as I would do it :cool: The ceramic had proved it's worth in the hardness stakes I'd say?

Mitchell & King MD5 Prototype wax applied. Big improvements with this, now much easier to work with :)

Thanks for looking, and as always any comments, questions, or suggestions of jumping on band wagons are most welcome :popcorn:

Best wishes,
Matt.
Not that old chestnut...just let it go Matt....wearing a bit thin this have a dig or be sarcastic in replies to certain posts....

Nice finish by the way....is that all in the prep....;)

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be claiming the moral high ground here thanks Russ :)

You've posted on this and another forum we are on about jumping on Mitchell & King bandwagons without knowing the full facts and indeed when I am the only person on the forum (let alone another detailer) who uses their products. Yet by private PM you protest your innocence at such comments being aimed at me..

What is it you say? "Just a bit of banter" - hence the smilie at the end and saying it was 'most welcome' ;) where has your sense of humour gone now the shoe's on the other foot :)

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good.

Was it polished and then had ceramic sealant applied. What was name of ceramic sealant ?
Cheers mate - the ceramic was actually one from Japan that I was given to try, suspect it was relabelled CQuartz as it smelt and worked the same. Sometimes there are very minor differences but if you were looking to replicate this then yes, polish first to remove damage and then get yourself some CQ, it seems harder than Ceramishield!!

Do you think if the car had been washed more regularly and properly, the finish would have held up better or less good?
I'm really interested in that wax Matt
It could have done one of two things;

1) expired earlier due to the detergents wearing it down from regular use.
2) increase in swirl marks (as they are inflicted during washing).

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I'll be claiming the moral high ground here thanks Russ :)

You've posted on this and another forum we are on about jumping on Mitchell & King bandwagons without knowing the full facts and indeed when I am the only person on the forum (let alone another detailer) who uses their products. Yet by private PM you protest your innocence at such comments being aimed at me..

What is it you say? "Just a bit of banter" - hence the smilie at the end and saying it was 'most welcome' ;) where has your sense of humour gone now the shoe's on the other foot :)
which foot would that be....and yes the other forum i did send you a PM because you obviously took it the wrong way....you had stressed that M&K got in touch with you and i did say that the post was merely to state that the products i have are in no way associated with all the other ones that everyone seems to be branding...so moral high ground or just high horse...?

As far as i am concerned mate it is banter but you seem to be taking it a little further with comments in other threads....

so take it as you will...

Because as you say "its all in the prep"....

Nuff said....

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought it was common knowledge that most detailing products are rebranded items? No reason to bring M&K (a relatively small firm) into your posts, as they have no relevance? Why not just say your products aren't rebranded "like alot are"? It would just be easier and then it wouldn't look like a snipe mate..

I don't intend on bringing my own range out either, all I am really interested in is providing a high quality service using the best products :)

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Matt it wasnt a snipe and you know it wasnt....I have mentioned previously that they are not branded but a certain individual (not you by the way) had one of his minions contest the R-5VE sealant saying it was 2 different products that belonged to said company...he couldnt seem to agree on which one it was though....:D

So no mate not a snipe at you or M&K as i know your intentions with them and they make some good waxes....the thing is a company like M&K provide bespoke waxes....like yours and and Scott at BT....but when you see all the others saying MY new wax is here after only 24hrs and claiming it as their own blend well sorry i slightly disagree...cant be done...as you well know...how long has yours been in the making...scotts was months...think yours is going the same way...which to me makes it a blend that is bespoke to the client....

its like me saying a certain company are making me my own blend wax and i receive it 24hrs after...bit far fetched in my opinion....and i think you knew that is where i was coming from think you just got the wrong end of the stick....

I never thought i would do a brand either mate i just dropped on...and the fact that these fudgers are expensive to buy in are testament to their performance and ability...quality of service goes without saying buddy and reputations are built on it....which is one reason i didnt go the car chem route...hell there are a few people on my FB that have asked me not to mention who their supplier is as it will devalue the brand THEY have created....

At least i know mine are mine and not a rebrand....

So there you have it it wasnt a dig and thought you would realise that and use a bit of common....a bespoke wax doesnt come easy...it takes time....some seem to have been caught in the headlights and THEIR wax is there quicker than it can be melted....if you see where i am going....

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
How do you think the Ceramic sealant would have been like if it was washed by the average user eg 1 bucket and cheap wash n wax solution? Does seem to have kept the swirls away. Good job

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi mate, I don't know the exact methods of washing as I wasn't there - I have washed it a couple of times but in the main it's been done (and for long periods, not done!!) by it's owner. Over the 12 months it's maybe had as many washes. The results are encouraging for those looking for an answer to the soft Honda paint problem, however it's not conclusive. Many on here would average maybe 26 washes per year, so this is very shy of that..... however the amount of dirt on the car between washes was arguably the same as pictured, so you'd expect quite a bit of damage from an unsafe wash with average products!!

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Matt, what do you use on the plastic trim on the outer door pillars?

Those look suspiciously like make-up fingermarks which my GF is guilty of leaving on mine on occasion! :facepalm:

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Make up marks indeed :) good spot!

Degreaser to remove - applied Wolf's Nano-Tech Trim Coat to finish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts