2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am getting a lot more comfortable in my FN2 Type R and a lot more confident when driving it. I love thhe Vtec and really enjoy the thrill of pushing the revs to the max.

As i have never really taken much interest in motor sports and alll i have really done is day to day driving i was wondering what the best or perfect gear change is. Sometimes when you watch youtube videos or car shows and they do a drag race or a standing quarter you hear the drivers commenting things like 'Oh that was a nice gear change' or 'wow that cchange wasnt the greatest etc.

What does this mean? I thought you just put the clutch down, change gears and off the clutch whilst continuing acceleration.

Could someone please explain what the perfect gear change is and how to do it, im not interested in all that double tapping stuff or where you use one foot for the change that some people do. I just want to be able to do a nice smooth transition when my little rev meter fills up, the vtec is growling and im accelerating like a mother****er.

All help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts

Good guide.
It's all about rev matching; double clutching that you mentioned works (and is useful if you've not got any synchros)

Road speed <-(Gear)-> Transmission Speed <-(Clutch)-> Engine Speed

If you match your engine RPM to the transmission RPM at a given road speed, you get a perfectly smooth shift - To do this, you just need to give the perfect amount of power to hold the RPM's where you want.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
Without getting into the technical bits, its as simple as how you shift everyday, just as fast as possible and for our motors at the redline just before the limiter kicks in.

On the drag strip they're likely powershifting which is the same except not lifting the foot off the accelerator all the way or at all.

Downshifting takes finesse and heel-toe or throttle blipping to match the engine RPM to transmission speeds.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
It's downshifting that people get so massively wrong. I remember getting in my first fn2 a few years ago and realising how much i didn't know about driving a manual, despite having been driving for 6 years previously.

Watching my mate lurch it from 3rd to 2nd at 7k rpm into a corner without rev matching was enough to ban anyone but myself from driving it... can almost hear the transmission having a go at you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts