2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Firstly I'd like to say thanks for all the info in the Wiki - been really useful for choosing the Diesel ES model and deciding on aftermarket upgrades for bluetooth!

Anyways, to the point - I'm picking up a used CTDI Civic on Thursday (55 plate, but only 20k - seemed like a good deal for £8,300), bizarrely from a VW garage). Of course, they're trying to sell me an AA warranty and GAP insurance (Warranty £600 for 3 years, GAP £300 for 3 years). I've already decided against the GAP depreciation as I don't think its quite worth it on that price / age of car, but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the AA warranty? (AA Warranty - Car Products - Mechanical Breakdown Insurance - Gold Cover) It seems quite pricey, especially as it doesn't seem to cover quite a few bits on the car (In no way an expert, but the sort of stuff that might co wrong as well).
In general I'm also massively cynical about any sort of insurance, as they wouldn't offer it unless the odds are in their favour! I'm also wondering whether I need it with Japanese reliability!

On a completely separate note, I've read about the handbrake issue - is there anyway of knowing if the modifications been done? I know there was a recall, and the sort of person who only does 20k in three years strikes me as the sort of person who might not bother taking it to a dealer to get it done! Its due its 3 year service at the end of Jan, and obviously still covered by warranty until then - think I'm going to book the service a bit before the expiry, and make sure every-things good / get the mod done if needed.

One final thing - on reading through the forum, decided that a parrot (3100) looks like a superb idea, in one of the centre things that have a moveable cover (so don't need to worry about the display being in sight). I was wondering if anyone knew of a good ICE installer in the Nottingham / Derbyshire / Leicester region? I've seen that Halfords do install, but I'm a bit paranoid about letting that at it! I'm also nowhere near confident enough to do it myself btw, and dont mind paying a bit of a premium for a pro!

Thanks in advance for anyone reading my essay and any answers!

Mark

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Hello there!:D

As its a used car and the new Civic not quite being up to Honda's usual standards, insurance may not be a bad thing to go for.

For checking the handbrake recall you could see your nearest Honda dealer who will be able to tell you if its been done, or use Dimplyred's link.

·
Premium Member
24,216 Posts
Looking at AA warranty website, the Gold Cover doesn't look too bad a policy.

I think at £600 for three years cover I'd be tempted. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks - £600 for 3 is what they're offering (the one and 2 year deals are not much cheaper). The only worry I'd have is it doesn't seem to cover a Turbocharger (does the civic even have one?!), ABS, catalytic converter or climate control unless a premium is paid - issue being I'm not mechanical at all so have no idea if these things are likely to go wrong or not!

Thanks again for the quick replies,
Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunatly I have no idea - they all refer to an insurance document that I presume you dont get untill you sign up! Think I might give the dealer a quick call tomorrow to ask the premium on the other items. The gamble I suppose is if I'm going to need repairs of more than £655 in the next three years (due to me unfortunatly being an accountant I'm sad enough to consider what the money's worth in three years time :eek:)

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Why not ring a local Honda main agent and get a price for an extended warranty?Might be more comprehensive than the AA's

·
Premium Member
19,185 Posts
Why not ring a local Honda main agent and get a price for an extended warranty?Might be more comprehensive than the AA's
That sounds like a good idea, actually :D

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
When I asked my dealer for an extended warranty while I still had the Civic, it was quite a bit more than £200 a year, but to my memory it did not exclude those items you mention.

Those exclusions, while not the most common faults will probably be some of the most expensive. I think Honda exhausts are covered for at least 5 years, not sure if that includes the Catalyst however.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Knowing so much about extended warranties, guarantees or mechanical insurances what ever they wish to be called can I just throw in some information here.

Firstly - look at the printed version of the AA policy - important notes - item C - Authorisation for repairs - If You suspect that You have a fault which is covered by this Insurance, first contact Us, at which time You will be advised of the claims procedure. No repairs may be started until We have issued a claims authority number to You.

and D - Nominated Repairers - We have a nationwide network of Nominated Repairers who are fully conversant with Our claims procedures. By using these Nominated Repairers You can ensure that You receive the best service from Your Insurance.

(I love the incorrect capitalisation on a professional document)

This means that any repairs carried out under that Insurance will not be done by a Honda dealer, and their repairer network is fully conversant with their claims procedure but not necessarily with the product they are supposed to repair.

If you take a problem under the Insurance to a Honda dealer they would more than likely give you a quote for the work which you will pay when you have it done, and then recoup as much as possible from the scheme administrators - typically dealer labour rate say £75 + VAT, independent network £35 + VAT, you pay the difference - £40 per hour plus VAT. You must first obtain approval from the scheme administrators that they will accept the charges/claim.

However, this can also delay the repairs whilst you all haggle over where the car should be taken, how much the repair will finally cost, inspection of displaced parts etc, and how do you get about in the meantime.

Imagine your car broken down in a garage somewhere whilst everyone argues over where and by whom it should be repaired.

and item i - Any customer excess applicable to this Insurance will be as detailed on Your Application Form / Schedule and will apply to each and every authorised claim.
You pays your money and you may have an excess to pay as well.

OK so it's painting a black picture but how much do you rely on your car and do YOU have your own alternative transport.
On the list of 5 added benefits not one says replacement car/car hire/push bike/horse and cart etc.

An observation - If you also have to pay a further premium for the turbo then it should also state how much on the point of sale material - you never know as the additional premium may be extortionate and won't find out 'till it's too late.
Why should you have to pay additional premiums in the first place.

My own personal view is that these are OK for the used car sales sites but if you want full dealer support look elsewhere. I cringe when someone stands in front of me and says they have a guarantee but not a Honda one - I know what will happen.

Best idea is the one to speak to your dealer and find out what sort of deal they will do for you on an approved Honda Happiness Extended Guarantee and ask for a copy of the terms and conditions just to compare the levels of cover and the ease of claims etc.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that Dave, much appreciated. To be honest, I'm swinging against the AA warranty and thinking that it will be a Honda warranty, or nothing (if the price is too much to merit) - It might not be the best way of thinking, but It'd have to be something pretty major that went wrong in three years to involve them paying me £600 (taking into account your point about having to pay part anyway)!
At the end of the day, as its partly about peace of mind, and looking at it, the AA warranty probably wouldn't give me that!
Sent Lookers Honda in Nottingham a quick message today, but don't quite trust those online forms - will give them a call on my day off on Thursday (When I pick it up, woo!).

On a tangent, do people tend to get a courtesy car from their Honda dealer if its in for repairs etc? The reason I ask is they might say I do / don't, but you never know how they might get out of! A cars pretty essential for me as an auditor (boo hiss)

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
On a tangent, do people tend to get a courtesy car from their Honda dealer if its in for repairs etc? The reason I ask is they might say I do / don't, but you never know how they might get out of! A cars pretty essential for me
Dealers and courtesy cars are a much talked about topic.
Unfortunately courtesy cars are usually booked in advance and therefore may not be available on demand if you have a sudden breakdown.
They are usually Honda Jazz models as the department usually has to pay the monthly depreciation charges on them.

Now lets not start the usual arguments here please.

However, I believe most dealers will try to accommodate the "distressed owner", they do not really try to get out of things as much as people try to make others believe on these internet forums - dam, just remembered I'm on one here..........:D

·
2,092 Posts
Until the car is 3 years old, I think if the AA tow you to a garage, they provide you with a car for the first 48/72 hours. After that it depends if you extend the warranty, I would assume the Honda warranty also incudes Honda Assist. If it does then that can be offset against the warranty cost.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The AA will provide a hire car for 48 hours if the dealer does not have alternative transport available, providing they recover your car to the dealer - not if you drive the car there. If the car is not finished withing the 48 hours then the hire car should be returned and the dealer will then supply a courtesy car., or you, the driver pays car hirte charges.

If you go for an Extended Guarantee then Honda Assist, which is the same as when the car was under manufacturers warranty, is an additional cost option.

·
2,092 Posts
The AA will provide a hire car for 48 hours if the dealer does not have alternative transport available, providing they recover your car to the dealer - not if you drive the car there. If the car is not finished withing the 48 hours then the hire car should be returned and the dealer will then supply a courtesy car., or you, the driver pays car hirte charges.

If you go for an Extended Guarantee then Honda Assist, which is the same as when the car was under manufacturers warranty, is an additional cost option.
The price I was quoted included the Honda Assist, I was not aware you could extend the warranty without it.

Re Honda Assist not providing a car if you drive to the garage - if you drive it to the garage then the car has not broken down.

If the car is still drivable, then you car can be booked in at a convenient time when the garage have a loan car available. I was meaning that if your car was towed in by Honda Assist, then as long as you have your driving licence with you, you will not be left stranded if all of the garage's loan cars are in use.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts