2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone

It's my first post and I'm a newbie when it comes to cars so please go easy on me.

I'm about to buy a 2013 civic 1.6L i dtec mk9, 31k on the clock from a Honda dealer who has full service history. It's the EX model. I'm upgrading from a 2004 civic petrol.

I have just spent a couple of hours reading about the car on this forum. I have some questions I would be grateful if you could help answer.

This is my first diesel car, I do around 4-7k miles a year , would I experience DPF regen issues?

With 4-7k miles a year am I crazy getting a diesel? I only chose diesel to save on fuel costs as I read this car is fab on saving fuel costs due to his high MPG.

Do all diesel cars judder from cold when you drive off?

I read somewhere this car sounds like a "box of rattling spanners when drive off" from cold, is that your experience? Is this a diesel thing?

As I don't know much about cars, I drive short distances only occasionally I will do a 40-60mile round trip, that's like once every 5-7mths...would I therefore damage the car by doing this?

If I were to purchase it, would I have to service it at Honda or get the Air Con changed there as well as other things? my local garage is rather good (been with them for 7yrs now)?

After reading the reviews section and the problems and issues section I am really nervous that I am about to make the wrong decision. I've test driven the car and it felt great coming from my 2004 civic but now your posts have got me thinking as it's time to put money down or walk away.

Thanks so much for any responses I receive.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just recently bought a 2014 1.6L IDTEC Civic, i also own a 2004 Civic Type R.

If you are only doing 4-7k miles a year and mostly short journeys then i wouldn't buy the diesel as you could well come into problems with the DPF. You may well be better off opting for the 1.4l petrol version imho.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you are only doing 4-7k miles a year and mostly short journeys then i wouldn't buy the diesel as you could well come into problems with the DPF. You may well be better off opting for the 1.4l petrol version imho.
Thanks for confirming that, what version of 1.4L petrol comes with leather interior but minus the panoramic roof?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think only the EX or EX GT comes with leather pre-facelift (2012-14) Not sure but i think the EX has leather and no glass roof. Facelift (2015-17) the SR and EX GT comes with leather but both have the glass roof i think.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Agree. With short journeys and that annual mileage a petrol will suit you better. The 1.8 is pretty much the same mpg as the 1.4 as it doesn’t have to work so hard. It’s a lovely smooth and quiet engine and in EX trim will give you all the extras you want.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Crazy to buy a diesel for such a low mileage.

Also the car has done 31k miles in 8 years, less than 4k per year - this could easily be a sign of DPF problems.

The 1.8 petrol is a far nicer engine in terms of quietness and smoothness (the 1.6 diesel is neither) and reasonably economical too

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
I agree with all the comments above, diesel best for doing at least 10K annual mileage.
Our 1.8 Si does everything we want and whilst not giving diesel MPG it doesn't do badly.

·
Registered
883 Posts
As mentioned previously get the 1.8 petrol for the miles you do, I had a 13 reg 1.6d ES and was very pleased with the engine for economy perf, zero r tax at the time, could hardly hear the engine from inside the car

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not sure how true this is - I had a conversation with someone who owned a Pre-Facelift (2013) 1.6 I-DTEC and he mentioned DPF clogging was an issue. Apparently, this was corrected for the Facelift models though. I currently own a Facelift 1.6 I-DTEC and have no issues in that regard. But as others have said, given the miles you do, best to look for petrol models

1 - 10 of 10 Posts