2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought I had a flat battery so I got a jump start from a friend, then on the way home it felt like the engine cut out and restarted really fast, then the ABS and VSA lights appeared on my dash. When I got home I had a look and noticed that the negative lead had come loose and was not actually attached to the battery.

I re-attached the lead and the battery was flat again so I got another jump start and the lights are still there.

Wishful thinking but does this sound like a problem a replacement battery could fix or is this going to cost me an arm and leg.

The car is a Honda civic 1.8se (2006)

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
A bad or flat battery could easily be the culprit as the civic is sensitive in that regard. Seems like you need a new battery anyhow, so would start there!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I will get a new battery tomorrow. Do you know if the warning lights will clear themselves or do I need to get them cleared from a garage? Also is the car safe to drive with these warnings? Sorry, I know very little about cars

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just check your brakes before driving and take it easy. The abs and vsa will not work with the lights on, but the car is drivable for short distance runs.

The errors should clear them selves when the new battery is in place.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I will get a new battery tomorrow. Do you know if the warning lights will clear themselves or do I need to get them cleared from a garage? Also is the car safe to drive with these warnings? Sorry, I know very little about cars
the absfaults may have to be reset with a sutable tool
replace the battery and see how it goes
with these lights on abs and traction control functions will be disabled (not good in poor/rainy weather)

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
can you not charge the battery before going out and buying a new 1
after all if the lead was loose its maybe why it went flat in first place

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About 2 miles into my journey this morning and all the warning lights turned off. I think scaramanga was right and the battery just needed a little a charge. I will get the battery tested soon but for now everything seems ok. Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sorry mate! I completely overlooked that part of the loose connection to the terminal, and therefore I was fixated about that you had a bad battery.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
About 2 miles into my journey this morning and all the warning lights turned off. I think scaramanga was right and the battery just needed a little a charge. I will get the battery tested soon but for now everything seems ok. Thanks!
be carefull a good battery can test as bad and a bad battery can test as good best thing to do is give it real good run then just see how it fairs
cold early morning starts are a good test for batterys they dont like frosty nights
if its slugish at starting/turning over on a cold morning then it COULD be a sign its past its best
i changed mine last year it started to be slow at turning over in mornings so i ordered a new 1 sods law the day it turned up my old battery got a new lease of life not to worry its now on my sons girlfiends car which had battery failure soon after
aswell as many other faults ive had to sort out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts