2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, putting my civic up for sale but have the dreaded abs vsa (replaced all sensors in the last 3 years now) so the latest was the front passengers side and the only one that was still from factory. Replaced it with an ebay special but the issue is still there however all have been ebay or ECP and have been fine, light is on and diag says its still front passenger side, tried clearing code and it goes and as soon as the wheels rotate it comes back. My mechanic says it could be ABS pickup ring, are these interchangeable on these cars or is it a new hub or possibly bad sensor as I do have a spare brand new one to try if its worth it?

Cheers :)

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,864 Posts
If an old, stuck ABS sensor was previously drilled out then unfortunately there's a chance that either the encoder ring was damaged or swarf has collected against it. It can be possible to tell from the error code whether the actual sensor has failed or whether the data from it is corrupt.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it was drilled out, if its just crap in the abs ring could I possibly get away with attempting to clean it out with compressed air? And do you know how I would tell if it is sensor failure or corrupt data? Cheers

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,864 Posts
There's nowhere to blow out any collected debris, it would have to come out the sensor hole... vacuuming might be better? But the drilling could have damaged the ring if the drill penetrated beyond the depth of the sensor as there's about 1mm clearance.

You say it's the front left, I've had a quick look in the Honda workshop manual and the following codes apply:-
13 - Wheel Sensor (Open/Short to Body Ground/Short to Power)
14 - Wheel Sensor (Electrical Noise/Intermittent Interruption)

So 13 would point to a faulty sensor, while 14 would point to an encoder issue.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's nowhere to blow out any collected debris, it would have to come out the sensor hole... vacuuming might be better? But the drilling could have damaged the ring if the drill penetrated beyond the depth of the sensor as there's about 1mm clearance.

You say it's the front left, I've had a quick look in the Honda workshop manual and the following codes apply:-
13 - Wheel Sensor (Open/Short to Body Ground/Short to Power)
14 - Wheel Sensor (Electrical Noise/Intermittent Interruption)

So 13 would point to a faulty sensor, while 14 would point to an encoder issue.
I'll plug it in this weekend and have a look, cheers mate!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts