2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

Shortly after setting off to work this morning my car threw up the warning lights for VSA, ABS and the Tyre Pressure warning systems on my 2009 2.2 Diesel.

When I stopped at the traffic lights I turned the engine off and on but the lights remained. About a minute or 2 later they switched off.

I haven't had chance to check if any error codes were generated yet but wondered if anybody knows what might have caused it? Just hoping it doesn't come back on.

·
Super Moderator
3,353 Posts
Winter approaches, temperature falls, tyre pressure goes down, tyre pressure warning comes on.
Check your pressures.
Worth a try.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
sounds like the start of a failing ABS sensor they can start to give intermittent warnings and eventually stay on for good
get the fault codes read it will save a lot of guesswork

not sure about the tyre pressure warning but some makes of cars use the ABS sensor as part of the tyre pressure warning system
mine civic doesn't have tyre pressure warning so not sure how they work

another thing to mention is the cars i have owned with TPWS ( ford and bmw ) have played up in winter but don't know if hondas suffer the same

edit....

M8TJT beat me to it on the tyre pressure thing :)

·
Super Moderator
3,353 Posts
mine civic doesn't have tyre pressure warning so not sure how they work
By either direct measurement of the tyre pressure using modified tyre valves (My wifes Jazz is this type) or by the relative rotation of each wheel. If a tyre is going flat, over any distance, it will rotate more times than a fully inflated tyre. (smaller rolling radius), but pressure goes up as the tyre warms up due to running.
So how do they measure wheel rotation, with the magnetic sensors that are also used in the ABS and VSA systems.
So, two possibilities. Tyre pressure, or a faulty sensor.
Fault finding
1. Check tyre pressures. Free
2. Get fault codes read. Not usually free.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just checked and no fault codes were logged.

I've had the Tyre Pressure warning system come on correctly in the past and reset it, never have the ABS and VSA come on with it at the same time, this indicates to me that it is something more sinister then simply the tyre pressure dropping a bit in the cold.

If it turns out to be the ABS Sensor going faulty, are these easy enough to change yourself?

·
Super Moderator
3,353 Posts
Shame it wasn't just pressures, but how will you even know which sensor to change if you have no codes?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I've just checked and no fault codes were logged.
did you check abs fault codes with something that will read ABS fault codes

i'm asking because if you used something along the lines of torque with the ELM bluetooth interface it can't read ABS codes

i would have thought a code would be stored even if the warning lights had gone back off

you could log the real time ABS sensor information to see if one is reading different from the rest

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
the reason is its a e.o.b.d. reader not abs reader
just looked aldis coder reader up
im sure it will be well worth its money to many but its the same as the code readers on ebay for less than a tenner
but will only read engine codes

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies guys.

It hasn't re-surfaced and all seems well for now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts