2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my trusty 2007 Civic has developed a few issues.

It started with the ABS/VSA warning light popping up intermittently. Now the brake pedal pulses slightly under braking and there is a slight grinding noise from the back.

I have ordered a £30 diagnostic reader to see whats up with the error code. (the bluetooth one wont read all the error codes)

I'm thinking about changing all 4 discs and pads as I had a quick look through the alloys and the discs all have lips and could probably do with being replaced.

I can get a set of Brembo discs and pads for all 4 wheels from eBay for £170 which seems like a good deal, and I have read a few how-to's and replacing them seems pretty straightforward.

So am I opening a can of worms with all this :worms: or are all these issues user-fixable?

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Replacing discs/pads isn't tricky, provided you can hold a spanner ;)

Grinding doesn't sound good, get your pads checked ASAP.

Hmmm, do any Civic's have low pad indicators? I don't recall any such wiring on mine.

A piston wind back tool makes retracting the brakes so much easier.

If in doubt tho, get a mechanic to do it.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sofar this has turned up:

They weigh a ton!

Changing the whole lot to be safe.

Windback tool, ABS Sensor & Bleed kit are on order.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Hi,

I have the same issue with mine at the moment, it is a broken abs sensor which has been ordered. You just need to find out which one, the easiest way is to see which alloy has the extra brake dust on it.

Gareth

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Hi,

I have the same issue with mine at the moment, it is a broken abs sensor which has been ordered. You just need to find out which one, the easiest way is to see which alloy has the extra brake dust on it.

Gareth
the easiest way is to read the fault code it will take the guesswork out of the equation

been through this myself with a different vehicle and reading the continuity / resistance of each sensor isn't guaranteed to give you an answer and guesswork can become expensive
more break dust on one wheel would suggest a sticky calliper rather than a faulty abs sensor because when one sensor packs in non of em work abs is at best disabled or unpredictable at worst

there are guides on how to retrieve abs fault codes without using diagnostic equipment

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/7044-read-clear-diagnostic-error-codes-no-special-tools.html

i'm pretty sure this is the link

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or get one of these:

Which spits out a PDF with every fault found on your car :)

I found out my Rear Right ABS sensor was at fault in less than 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Which spits out a PDF with every fault found on your car :smile:

I found out my Rear Right ABS sensor was at fault in less than 5 minutes.

what is the make and cost of that "code reader"please?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what is the make and cost of that "code reader"please?
£31.12 its called a DS150E PRO CDP - do you want the link where I got it?

A word of warning the software is a bit of a faff to get working!

I might do a quick write up on it over the long weekend as it seems pretty useful for the money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
I'm having a similar problem bad grinding sound when I brake the first 2-3 times .... Or when car has been sat for more than 1hr but then goes abs and vga lights are on had diagnostics done and left front sensor was getting no reading now changed sensor twice (different batch numbers) and still the same my mechanic thinks it's gonna be the hub and suggested going to honda to have it tested ... Tbh I'm not flush right now any ideas or did changing the discs and pads work ??

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
I'm having a similar problem bad grinding sound when I brake the first 2-3 times .... Or when car has been sat for more than 1hr but then goes abs and vga lights are on had diagnostics done and left front sensor was getting no reading now changed sensor twice (different batch numbers) and still the same my mechanic thinks it's gonna be the hub and suggested going to honda to have it tested ... Tbh I'm not flush right now any ideas or did changing the discs and pads work ??
Yup its much better after changing the discs/pads. The Brembo ones were definitely quality items.

No more funny noises or odd pedal feel.

Unfortunately I was sent out an incorrect ABS sensor so I was unable to fit that :mad:
Once I get the right one I can fit it and see if my scanner was correct in the fault it picked up.

Out of interest how much do they charge you to have the diagnostics done?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi scooby,

I too changed the pads and discs and grinding has subsided but still have the abs and vga lights on .... Mechanics changed front left sensor twice still same problem ... Then we changed the front left hub .... Still the same he is a time served mechanic and scratching his head .... These were the diagnostics readings

DTC B1170: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the VSA Modulator-control Unit (VSA Message)
DTC B1183: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the EPS Control Unit (EPS Message)

It was suggested maybe a bad live behind the fuse box but

checked the current draw through the harness from fuse box min 3A / MAX 15A the current pull on yours was 13.7A NOWT WRONG THERE ????

I am to say the least at a loss ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi scooby,

I too changed the pads and discs and grinding has subsided but still have the abs and vga lights on .... Mechanics changed front left sensor twice still same problem ... Then we changed the front left hub .... Still the same he is a time served mechanic and scratching his head .... These were the diagnostics readings

DTC B1170: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the VSA Modulator-control Unit (VSA Message)
DTC B1183: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the EPS Control Unit (EPS Message)

It was suggested maybe a bad live behind the fuse box but

checked the current draw through the harness from fuse box min 3A / MAX 15A the current pull on yours was 13.7A NOWT WRONG THERE ????

I am to say the least at a loss ....
I'm too having the same issues, ABS sensor replaced twice already.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm getting the same issue here on my '57 Type S 1.8... I had the ABS/VSA warning light come on a couple of weeks ago, the warning turns off when I turn the engine off and on again, but since then I get a vibration through the brake pedal (fairly intermittently). Would it just be a new ABS sensor that I need?

It's a bit worrying, any help would be greatly received!

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,283 Posts
I'm getting the same issue here on my '57 Type S 1.8... I had the ABS/VSA warning light come on a couple of weeks ago, the warning turns off when I turn the engine off and on again, but since then I get a vibration through the brake pedal (fairly intermittently). Would it just be a new ABS sensor that I need?

It's a bit worrying, any help would be greatly received!
Likely yes. Mine would come on randomly and cycle off once the engine restarted until it was eventually on all the time. Turned out to be rear OS sensor. You need a reader that can diagnose ABS codes or a HDS clone. Most garages should have one that will pull the code for you.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
Pretty sure that Civics, like my Accord, can be put into ABS/VSA self-diagnostics by linking pins 4 & 9 of the OBD port? I have no problems reading and clearing ABS/VSA faults and performing system neutralisations using just a paper clip.

I'd search the forum for confirmation of how to do this with Civics.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Important to clean the pick up ring on the driveshaft when the new sensor is installed as the lights may still come back on making you assume the new sensor is faulty when it is in fact dirt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts