2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. This is basically just a tale of woe. And a reference for anyone with a similar problem (I can't find mention of it elsewhere).

Last week my car (2007 CTR) suddenly started making a nasty grinding noise that changed pitch with revs. I pulled over immediately and then worked out that it disappeared if I switched the climate control off, so I left it off and took her to the garage.

The AC compressor has a clutch that engages and disengages the aircon continuously (even if the climate control isn't cooling the car - it's designed like that, I'm not sure why :confused:). Long story short, the clutch had basically fallen to bits of its own accord. It turned out that some of those bits made their way into the compressor, so that also needed replacing.

I don't know about other models, but this lot is difficult to access/remove on the CTR, so labour costs are high.

Final total cost? £1,150 :scream1:

I'm out of warranty and apparently none of this is covered by part recalls etc. I'm also told it's a fire risk unless it's fixed (not sure if that's 100% true or just the garage pushing the repair). So basically, goodbye wedding savings! I hope nobody else has the same problem.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Had this go on a VW Golf MkV. Cost about £1,500 for the whole lot, so Honda was a bit cheaper. The car had 135,000 on the clock though.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had this go on a VW Golf MkV. Cost about £1,500 for the whole lot, so Honda was a bit cheaper. The car had 135,000 on the clock though.
Sorry to hear that, £1,500's even worse. Having said that, mine's only done 43,000 so god knows what it'll be like if it ever reaches 135,000... Replacement engine, gearbox, suspension and body probably!

·
Registered
716 Posts
It's still worth contacting Honda directly. Under the sale of goods act a part should be fit for purpose. Therefore I would go down the line it's unusual for these parts to fail at this age / mileage therefore they should contribute towards the fix.

Ask them if it's a common problem, if it is then they should help, as its not common across most makes. If it's unusual then quote sales of goods act for them to contribute. Certainly not a guarantee they will help but worth a go.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I have the same problem with my air con. Mine is being replaced by Honda under warranty (I have an extended warranty with them), so the warranty certainly paid for itself in my case. I was told it was over £1000 worth of parts and labour. I'm just waiting for the dealer to get the part. It might be worth contacting Honda to see what they say, they might cover some of the cost.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It absolutely amazes me that 'background' components such as this fail at all. Who designs them? Are they ever endurance tested? Are they made of chocolate? Wear and tear and eventual failure on stressed components such as clutches, transmissions, etc I can understand... but an air con compressor? How can the repair cost ever be that high? Surely the 'real' cost of the unit shouldn't amount to more than £200 and say £200 maximum for labour? It's stories like this that seriously make me reconsider which dealership will be getting my large pile of money when trade in time comes around.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
If your stuck I have one I can organise a for sale thread for . Immediate dispatch removed healthy 6 months ago. Full set of associated parts too - pre rad, some pipes, clips, switches etc etc

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments/suggestions guys. I've written to Honda UK now - not expecting much but fingers crossed eh!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's still worth contacting Honda directly. Under the sale of goods act a part should be fit for purpose. Therefore I would go down the line it's unusual for these parts to fail at this age / mileage therefore they should contribute towards the fix.

Ask them if it's a common problem, if it is then they should help, as its not common across most makes. If it's unusual then quote sales of goods act for them to contribute. Certainly not a guarantee they will help but worth a go.
I have the same problem with my air con. Mine is being replaced by Honda under warranty (I have an extended warranty with them), so the warranty certainly paid for itself in my case. I was told it was over £1000 worth of parts and labour. I'm just waiting for the dealer to get the part. It might be worth contacting Honda to see what they say, they might cover some of the cost.
Just wanted to thank you guys for suggesting I contact Honda UK. Despite the car being nearly 7 years old, out of warranty and having basically no Honda service history, they cut more than £300 off the cost of the parts! I'll take that as a win [smilie=coolup.gif].

1 - 9 of 9 Posts