2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, hoping someone can help here because I'm completely lost with what could be my problem with this.

Last night, I went out in the car and the air out the vents slowly got less and less. Checked on here and people said to check the pollen filter, so done that and yep, the evaporator was iced up, although the pollen filter and housing was still dry. I removed the filter, got rid of the ice, and ran the car and it worked fine.

Following that, I was sitting with the car idling, heaters on, when it started to make a hissing noise and released a LOT of what looked like steam (I now know this was refrigerant) from under the bonnet. I'm assuming this came from the pressure relief valve.

So essentially, the evaporator keeps icing up, my AC has over-pressurised somehow and vented, and I have absolutely no idea what has caused either of them.

I can't imagine the drain would be blocked as the filter was completely dry, as was the housing. Just the evaporator had ice on it. Oh and I also checked the relay and it's the old one I have. Could this be causing all my issues? I've had it out and checked it and it's definitely not stuck closed, but there's a rattle as if something has broken inside it!

Can anyone give me some other leads to look at, or have any ideas as to what my problem might be here? I've looked into it so much now I've confused myself!

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Replace the relay, it sounds like your AC is running constantly once AC is selected on the dash.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping that's the case and it's not something more expensive! I did notice the compressor clicked on and off a couple of times as I was trying to remove the relay tonight, as if it was stuck closed. When I tested it it was open though.

I've left the relay out for now anyway so I guess if it runs fine and doesn't ice up in the morning, that's the likely culprit?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove to work this morning with the relay removed and had no problems, so I've ordered a new one. Hopefully that sorts it. Just need to work out what caused the pressure release the other night now...

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
The pressure relief could well be related to the compressor running constantly flat out, which appears to have been due to the dodgy relay.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I replaced the relay today and it seems OK so far, so fingers crossed that fixed it! Strange that the AC is still working after releasing the gas though. Must still be just enough in it to function.

If anyone is interested, I opened up the old relay to find this...
uploadfromtaptalk1453480458244.jpg

Definitely past its best! Lol!

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Nice one. You reckon you lost some pressure so if the AC still works it is likely to be less efficient/effective.

It may still be worth getting it checked to ensure that you have sufficient pressure and oil in the system?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it definitely let a fair bit of refrigerant go. Thought I was about to be gassed out lol! It's due a service soon though so I'll get the AC checked and topped up while it's in.

Cant believe all this was caused by something as simple as a relay

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Oh my, THAT much gas seemed to escape.

Let's hope it wasn't too excessive and just sounded/looked worse that the actual loss, it's under pressure after all.

Yeah, it's a bit potty that a relay can try an expensive compressor, especially when the relay is there to protect it in the first place!

Thankfully the relay isn't expensive, so the fix pleases the weekend beer kitty.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, enough to create a noticeable cloud from under the bonnet anyway.

I'm glad it has a pressure relief valve tbh. Most AC systems I've heard of don't have them and I think it'd have been bye bye compressor in that case.

Cheap fixes on the daily mean more money to spend on the track car for me this week haha!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts