2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have read about the AC relay issue and upgrade to a Mitsuba relay but what I wanted to find out (if anyone knows please), Can this cause you AC/Climate Control to blow no cold air even if it looks like the compresser kicks in? Or even cause intermittent Air Con problem wherby no cold air comes through?

About a week ago I had mine re-gased and presure tested - all was fine. Ive only used the AC a couple of times, the first time it was ok and blew nice cold air, the second time it didnt seem to get cold until a bit later on in the journey. I came to use the AC yesterday and now its not blowing any cold air at all. The engine seems to be making all of the right sounds i.e the relay in the fuse box under the bonnet clicks twice (not sure if this is right - should it click once) and I can see the compressor kick in (the wheel spins). All of this happens when I set the AC to the "On" position.

I have an Omron relay currently but was thinking maybe changing this to the Mitsuba upgrade relay would solve my issues with the AC not blowing cold air?

Any advise or assistance would be appriciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, I check that in the morning, hopefully its nothing to serious and I can get it fixed quick.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Faulty relay would either keep compressor on constantly or off permanently so not that, when you had a regas they should have put UV dye in which will show your probable leak up, highly likely it's the condenser leaking gas and it's too low a pressure now to cool. Re gassing finds the leaks as the pressure is greater. Exactly the same on mine and it's £240 for new condenser & dryer fitted and regassed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Painter for the information on the relay, I have fitted a new upgrade relay anyways - if nothing but for peace of mind that it has one now. the other was an Omron relay.

Thats useful to know about the condenser and dryer was that a main dealer that done the supply and fit?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks Painter for the information on the relay, I have fitted a new upgrade relay anyways - if nothing but for peace of mind that it has one now. the other was an Omron relay.

Thats useful to know about the condenser and dryer was that a main dealer that done the supply and fit?
I think a main dealer charges £500 just for the parts so no a local independant who is very good he gives two year warranty on parts whereas Honda is only 12 months and if a stone damages the condenser Honda will not replace it he will. I would guess a main dealer would charge, with a pressure test and re-gas, around £700.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Similar issue sort of
Bought car from garage and told them to gas Aircon before collection as it wasn't working (looking at service records car did 1000 miles in a year so I figured natural gas escape)

Air con lovely and and cold
30 days later no air con no clicking nothing

Had it regassed at a friend's garage again lovely and cold and changed the relay as routine
30 days later nothing dead again
Nitrogen test done it was blowing out of the compressor
£188 later plus a few beers for fitting dye added this time and its currently day 27 no visible leaks in engine bay via UV light so fingers crossed

Thing is I was adamant it would be punctured condenser

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
****Update****

So I had the system tested at Honda, this cost me £55.00. The results were that the compressor has a leak and so does the condenser. To supply and fit both new over £1700.00. So Im going to try and find a local independant in my area. I can get a Hella Compressor and a NRF Condenser for £347.05 with 75% discount - so would just need someone that can fit the parts now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
****Another update****

Thanks for all of your input and explanations peeps, so I found an indi mechanic local to me who does air- con repairs and Ive now had the compressor and the condensor replaced and a re-charge done. Air-Con now working fine and dandy. Ive also swapped out the relay for a Mitsuba one as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
****Another update****

Thanks for all of your input and explanations peeps, so I found an indi mechanic local to me who does air- con repairs and Ive now had the compressor and the condensor replaced and a re-charge done. Air-Con now working fine and dandy. Ive also swapped out the relay for a Mitsuba one as well.
Which indi did you use and how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Reigate. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Honda want how much!

:facepalm:

I'm in the wrong game.
Thats nothing compared to Hyundai/Kia. They are the biggest crooks going. £1800 for basic radio for my wife IX20 because of two broken buttons, £160 for a vent tab thats snapped off as well. Theyre downright thieves

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thats nothing compared to Hyundai/Kia. They are the biggest crooks going. £1800 for basic radio for my wife IX20 because of two broken buttons, £160 for a vent tab thats snapped off as well. Theyre downright thieves
If I bought a 3D printer I could make and sell those and retire on the profits!! (I don't mean an entire Kia obviously....though...nah)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts