2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I didn't have working AC until last week. Today is the second time the car has been out since relay replacement and regas.

AC was blowing cold until I dropped a couple of gears to overtake and as I approached 7k rpm there was an usual power kick and I knew straight away this was due to the AC compressor disengaging and soon after the air started blowing warm.

Now the A/C compressor won't engage, the fans come on but the compressor doesn't engage. Checked under bonnet fuse it its fine. I bridged the 2 large pins at the relay (this usually makes the magnet jump) but it isn't doing that.

Any ideas? I had thought is there too much pressure in the system (increased by the 7k rpm earlier) and now it wont engage as the pressure sensor is preventing it? Civinfo Wiki is down and I don't know how to run climate control diagnostics, if this would even show faults relating to this.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
AC was working now isn't

That sounds similar to most of the issues people report :laugh:
I imagine it's related to the compressor clutch, as you've eliminated everything else.
You could try shims, as per the guide that you can find with a search, or just replace the entire compressor unit - Which could get expensive.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes your right that how most AC issues are.

I done a bit more digging tonight. Both fuses (below bonnet and interior) are fine.

When I check the two larger terminals below the AC relay there is +12v at one terminal but the other terminal is not earthing.

In order to diagnose the relay as faulty, before I replaced it, I checked with multimeter and I am pretty sure one of the pins was grounding as I think I remember just putting the multimeter on those two terminals only, and getting a +12v reading whereas now i'm not.

If I should be getting an earth at the other terminal, and I'm not, could this be the pressure switch opening the circuit?

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
if you want to check a relay use a PP3 battery across the small spade terminals
try the Battery both ways as some relays have a diode across the coil

you should hear a positive click when the relay switches but to be sure put a multi meter across the 2 large spade terminals and you should see a dead short when the relay switches and open circuit when not switched

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
12v direct to the compressor doesn't do anything. Checked the gap between the pulley and the plate and its fine.

Looking like its the field coil, is this doable in situe?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts