2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my honda civic 1.8 sport in march, i experience a flat spot on the accelerator which causes a jerk. It hesitates at junctions which really annoys me. Ive also experienced the engine is still revving when changing gear at high revs even though my foot is off the accelerator. I live in carmarthenshire and the dealers have told me that its the characteristic of the car due to the fly by wire.They even had the cheek to say it was mainly women that has complained about this problem!! and suggested i changed my style of driving. That really made me mad!!!

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Acceleration Problem

If you've experienced this problem from when you purchased the vehicle, then under the Sale of Goods Act, it should have been repaired or exchanged for a new car. It is not fit for purpose. Get in touch with the Manager of the garage, and get it sorted right away.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If it is a 'characteristic of the car ' - then insist on trying one of their demo cars, and see if that does it as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both elfa7 and karlak for your replies but i have quoted the sale of goods act to honda uk but they say there is not a fault with the car and i was told it doesnt warrent having my money back. I have driven a demo car and it drove the same as mine. the garage technician agreed that the cars performance wasnt good but that its down to the new technology of the fly by wire. I have spoken to a couple of owners of the 1.8 sport which i have stopped in the petrol station, they do not have this problem. I have now learned from another web site that there are a number of people having the same problems and not getting any help from honda. I feel like im banging my head against a brick wall. HELP!!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I have the 1.8 and I don't have this issue. However, I have a lot of experience of Honda Customer Service.

Get in touch with them by phone at the first instance, you can find the number on their website.

It seems strange that the test drive car, and yours both has the same issue.

It is patronising to suggest it's only women doing this. I've driven four different 1.8 Civics now, and not seen this on any of them.

PM me if you need any more help.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
jeannie said:
Ive also experienced the engine is still revving when changing gear at high revs even though my foot is off the accelerator.
I have experienced this, but put it down to driver error....you have me thinking there is something wrong with the car now :cry:

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 1.8 also keeps the high revs when changing gear, it appears to be slow to react to you taking your foot of the accelerator. Taking the car to the dealers on Saturday (think my front passenger speaker is loose) so will mention it. Do you also find that the acceleration is very slow -appears to be a lot slower than my old Puma which had a similar 0-60 time.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Two things here.

1. Acceleration is slow (well, compared to the diesel turbo, yes), but that's mostly due to you not driving the car properly - with VTEC engines, the power comes at 4.5K revs and above... it's like it comes alive, but having driven normal petrols, you just want to short shift all the time. Just try getting up to 60 in first and second :) See pottsys graphs.

2. The accel. lag - this is a drive by wire thing. When idle, tap/blip the gas hard but quickly, there's a 0.5s delay between hitting the pedal and it revving. THis is partly the DBW lag, but also because there is some play on the pedal before you hit the revs, as it were.

·
Registered
29 Posts
jeannie said:
I bought my honda civic 1.8 sport in march, i experience a flat spot on the accelerator which causes a jerk. It hesitates at junctions which really annoys me. Ive also experienced the engine is still revving when changing gear at high revs even though my foot is off the accelerator. I live in carmarthenshire and the dealers have told me that its the characteristic of the car due to the fly by wire.They even had the cheek to say it was mainly women that has complained about this problem!! and suggested i changed my style of driving. That really made me mad!!!

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Jeannie, you are not alone. Take a look at the links below:

http://www.2talkabout.com/Honda/?p=39&psr_stars=3 (post 7-9)

http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=747 (clive from essex)

http://www.2talkabout.com/Honda/archives/disappointed/ (you already know this thread)

I´m not saying that every civic owner experiences this problem, but obviously there are at least a few very unhappy drivers out there in the market. Honda can call this "drive by wire" and "woman driving" (I´m male - not that it makes any difference), trying to pretend it´s normal, but it´s not normal - it´s just so extremely annoying!!! Let´s just hope that Honda finally stops burying their heads in the sand and instead starts taking care of their customers.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
What the drive by wire (DBW) is doing is trying to make things smoother for you. It learns how quickly you change gear, and lets the revs fall at a certain speed to match your gear change speed.

If you change gear too slowly for the system, it will hold the revs for the maximum time, and then let them drop. This can feel odd.

So, try to change gear a little bit quicker. Don't over-do it, just a bit quicker than you have been doing. Let us know if this helps!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I know this is kind of a long shot - but could you get a mobile phone video of this problem happening?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kevin_lufc said:
jeannie said:
Ive also experienced the engine is still revving when changing gear at high revs even though my foot is off the accelerator.
I have experienced this, but put it down to driver error....you have me thinking there is something wrong with the car now :cry:
Dont put your driving down! I thought that at first but the more i drove the car i realised it wasnt me. ive had other people in the car with me at the time and witnessed the engine revving at time of gear change. you can over ride the revving by quickly putting your foot back on the accelerator. thats not the point, the way im thinking is, the accelerator is not acting as fast as my foot.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Pottsy said:
What the drive by wire (DBW) is doing is trying to make things smoother for you. It learns how quickly you change gear, and lets the revs fall at a certain speed to match your gear change speed.
I have to admit I dont notice it as much now, hence the "driver error" comment. Does the DBW actually learn the drivers driving style?

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
acceleration problem

I have'nt had a problem with the FBW, but if you have a certain percentage with a perfect throttle, and some with an imperfect throttle, then surely its a sellers problem, not a buyers problem. Honda should fix it.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Yes, the DBW does adapt. You can reset it by disconnecting the battery or pulling the appropriate fuse (don't have the book to hand).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just like elfa7 says, it seems as if some (the majority) cars are working well or fairly well, whereas others are a catastrophe. DBW is nothing new (although Honda, in my impression, tries to depict it as some kind of "StarTrek-technology"). DBW, in one form or another, has been on the market for almost 20 years now http://www.auto-solve.com/etc.htm . The tricky part is to fine-tune the system and make it harmonize, but here Honda has failed.[/quote]

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
This puzzles me. I've driven at least three 1.8s and none have had this issue. I think I use the clutch/gears pretty textbookly (not a real word!).... so what is happening here?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
With regards to the 'lag', it is not excessive at all and does not pose any problem to me. The 'flat spot' in the acceleration is due to letting the clutch up too quickly. There is not much torque below 1500rpm. Let the clutch slip slightly as you pull off, keeping the revs a bit higher and wait longer before selecting 2nd. It makes pulling off much better. I don't know how much it helps, but I've developed a technique of blipping the throttle before pulling away, which seems to work really well for me, it helps keep the revs up and the power.

I have driven a few cars in my time, and this feeling of low power when pulling away with low rpms is present in nearly all cars, and the Civic is not nearly as bad as some!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Just had a wee thought! How is a car going to adapt if the car is shared?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts