2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this week I was hit by a car coming out of a side road,didn’t see me apparently.
So far taken in for repair Friday and today had a message stating it’s a non economical repair and giving a first offer of £2,450.
Mine is a 2007 Civic 2.2 EX 83,000 miles and as others on here extremely well looked after and in almost immaculate condition,I’d only just come out from a main service and MOT at the Toyota garage when I was hit.
Question is is that a fair valuation? and is it worth buying back considering getting it reinsured
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Attachments

·
i-Vtec
4,863 Posts
I agree that's a good offer for a 14 year old civic, what they asking for you to buy it back? My local Upullit has a civic in the same colour which means it could be repaired with another bumper and wheel arch trim for less than £50

·
Registered
569 Posts
Excellent offer - take it and run

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good offer, I would buy back the car as looks minor and you could easily repair it👍
I agree that's a good offer for a 14 year old civic, what they asking for you to buy it back? My local Upullit has a civic in the same colour which means it could be repaired with another bumper and wheel arch trim for less than £50
Excellent offer - take it and run
I was thinking the same,I’ll have to ask for buy back price as there was no mention of this.I was guessing no more than £500 for them to repair it but guess not.
Does seem like a fair offer may reject the first to see if it increases at all.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
That’s a good offer. They normally let you buy it back for around 10% of the value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
i-Vtec
4,863 Posts
I was guessing no more than £500 for them to repair it but guess not.
Rear bumper from Honda is £437. Rear Wheel arch trim £127. Cant see a listing for the broken inner liner, but must assume its north of £60. And that all before labour and any other assorted parts.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,738 Posts
It looks a pretty easy fix for a few more years running. Source second hand bumper, arch trim and liner, you fit them yours self it’s a pretty straight forward job. Couple screws and clips and money in your back pocket. To be fair looking on the bright side you are in a win win situation just like @Negativvv was, if you need guidance and to see what a good outcome it can be, he’s the man to point you in the right direction, pm him. He’s been through what you are seeing not long ago. Like you said you have looked after it. I had the bumper and arch trim off and back on in around hour and half. If I can do it anybody can.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Oh snap...

That's pretty much what happened to mine yes but on the opposite side.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Your damage is marginally worse as I didn't need new grey plastic trim, I just banged mine back into position.

Still haven't replaced the wheel arch liner however as it might be too bent to go back in. It was rubbing against the tyre and not held on by much anyway!

I got offered £2k as a write off but I paid £200 to have the car and I repaired it.

Waited for a bumper my colour off eBay and screwed it in, took under an hour.

This was 5 months and a few thousand miles ago now, since put new suspension on the car so I won't be selling it. Will drive it until it's uneconomical.

Only thing I'd say is the impact might have damaged the rear axle or hub ever so slightly.

Below is my wheel alignment after I fitted all round new suspension, the rear off side wheel is a bit bent. It can't be adjusted so must have been impact damage. Car drives straight however so it's probably not a problem.

Automotive tire Font Motor vehicle Gadget Display device

Clearly Galaxy Grey isn't a liked colour as they keep getting rear ended o_O

genuine honda civic base rear bumper 06-11 galaxy grey met 71501smge00zg | eBay

That one seems interesting as the seller is claiming it's brand new. The lower grey plastic honey comb thing just bolts in and out so you can use your own one.

Any repair you do yourself won't be perfect but a professional job would cost the write off territory. I had a break down of the potential repair somewhere I think...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh snap...

That's pretty much what happened to mine yes but on the opposite side.

View attachment 321460

Your damage is marginally worse as I didn't need new grey plastic trim, I just banged mine back into position.

Still haven't replaced the wheel arch liner however as it might be too bent to go back in. It was rubbing against the tyre and not held on by much anyway!

I got offered £2k as a write off but I paid £200 to have the car and I repaired it.

Waited for a bumper my colour off eBay and screwed it in, took under an hour.

This was 5 months and a few thousand miles ago now, since put new suspension on the car so I won't be selling it. Will drive it until it's uneconomical.

Only thing I'd say is the impact might have damaged the rear axle or hub ever so slightly.

Below is my wheel alignment after I fitted all round new suspension, the rear off side wheel is a bit bent. It can't be adjusted so must have been impact damage. Car drives straight however so it's probably not a problem.

View attachment 321461

Clearly Galaxy Grey isn't a liked colour as they keep getting rear ended o_O

genuine honda civic base rear bumper 06-11 galaxy grey met 71501smge00zg | eBay

That one seems interesting as the seller is claiming it's brand new. The lower grey plastic honey comb thing just bolts in and out so you can use your own one.

Any repair you do yourself won't be perfect but a professional job would cost the write off territory. I had a break down of the potential repair somewhere I think...
Many thanks for the useful information,one question did this become a cat N and how did it affect your insurance premium?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Many thanks for the useful information,one question did this become a cat N and how did it affect your insurance premium?
Premium didn't go up but other party was completely at fault and I wasn't even in my car at the time.

Yes the car will be a Cat N if it's a write off and you buy back...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Premium didn't go up but other party was completely at fault and I wasn't even in my car at the time.

Yes the car will be a Cat N if it's a write off and you buy back...
Thanks yes it’ll be a cat N for sure I’m still waiting for repair place to contact me to see if there’s any unseen damage as she did also impact the wheel,totally her fault and I believe this is confirmed by them saying no excess to pay.
I’m having issues making phone calls every time I call I’m 900th in the queue and being at work means limited time to make and receive calls.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Depends on how much unseen damage has been done. Even the minor shunt on mine was enough to push the rear alignment out a bit but not too much to ruin how the car drives. As I said, the clips for the wheel arch liners are all busted so I've just left it off mine. Hopefully your shunt hasn't knocked the rear bumper hangers out too far.

I drove it around for weeks before repairing the bumper so I knew straight away the car was fine. Guessing yours is ok?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Depends on how much unseen damage has been done. Even the minor shunt on mine was enough to push the rear alignment out a bit but not too much to ruin how the car drives. As I said, the clips for the wheel arch liners are all busted so I've just left it off mine. Hopefully your shunt hasn't knocked the rear bumper hangers out too far.

I drove it around for weeks before repairing the bumper so I knew straight away the car was fine. Guessing yours is ok?
Yes I drove it home and all seemed fine ,I’m still trying to contact the repair place to get an answer on wether there is any structural damage. I don’t think there is,getting anyone on the phone is a nightmare.
Gave me two days to either accept or reject the offer from yesterday lunch time,no idea what happens if I reject it I’m assuming the hire car has to go back when those two days are up tomorrow lunch time.
Anyone know this is what happens if I reject it ?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Dunno what the clauses are for waiting or asking for another inspection.

I took the first offer given to me... My report quoted the cosmetic damage and didn't even consider structural.

Worst case is the damage has bent the rear beam and/or the hub assembly. Neither are too expensive just a pain to swap over. If that were mine I'd have given them the car instead of buying back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dunno what the clauses are for waiting or asking for another inspection.

I took the first offer given to me... My report quoted the cosmetic damage and didn't even consider structural.

Worst case is the damage has bent the rear beam and/or the hub assembly. Neither are too expensive just a pain to swap over. If that were mine I'd have given them the car instead of buying back.
Have tried repair place a few times today when I got through this morning the guy promised to get them to call me at 1 on my break,nothing now just leave a message.
I had no idea of why it’s written off except that it is no other information in the email I received.
How they expect someone to source a new vehicle in two days when working is a bit beyond me.
Can’t get through to Hastings either and Enterprise who are sorting the repair are a joke.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,738 Posts
Yes I drove it home and all seemed fine ,I’m still trying to contact the repair place to get an answer on wether there is any structural damage. I don’t think there is,getting anyone on the phone is a nightmare.
Gave me two days to either accept or reject the offer from yesterday lunch time,no idea what happens if I reject it I’m assuming the hire car has to go back when those two days are up tomorrow lunch time.
Anyone know this is what happens if I reject it ?
If the third party is at fault you can claim a courtesy car of the third party if yours goes back, when I was crashed into I was not happy with my courtesy’s car and claim one of them. As I had a family the crappy one supplied was not big enough.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Have tried repair place a few times today when I got through this morning the guy promised to get them to call me at 1 on my break,nothing now just leave a message.
I had no idea of why it’s written off except that it is no other information in the email I received.
How they expect someone to source a new vehicle in two days when working is a bit beyond me.
Can’t get through to Hastings either and Enterprise who are sorting the repair are a joke.
Here is an idea of why your car has been written off.

This is part of the report for my car.

Hair Facial expression Font Line Rectangle

Font Circle Number Pattern Rectangle

1 - 20 of 86 Posts