2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Query the payment!!

Also wtf cheque... How backwards, surely a bank transfer is how everyone flies these days. I'll remember not to ever use Hastings!

No idea what I'd replace my aged 1.8 with, whilst I still have an ancient Alfa as my 2nd car likely nothing. Fairly confident that if I rust proof the underside to which I've partially done it, the car should last a good while.

Also imo the more you spend the more the gains diminish. If the starting point is say £1k for a banger, is £14k for a 3 year old Civic really worth that much more? That's just my outlook and to be honest it probably isn't how most car owners see things judging by what's on the road these days!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It will be interesting to see what my 2007 2.2D with 138k miles is worth?
When I bought my 1.8 last year even then I noticed petrols of the same age were going for more than the diesels.

Don't think ULEZ becoming reality in London helped although I believe it's stalled elsewhere.

Older diesels have the scare of clutches, injectors and DPF (not Civic).

No idea what I'd buy today if my Civic imploded.

Maybe a Skoda Superb 1.4 or 1.8, a Fiat Tipo T-Jet (a 3 year old one can retail for under £8k). Or I'd stay in banger territory and get a 5 door hatch of some sort for £2k.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I intend to keep mine as long as possible. I'll just have to save for maintenance and repairs.
Get in there before it's an issue, remove all 4 wheel arch liners, clean, paint and wax them with stuff. You'll likely never need to do it again. Civic under carriage seems ok for water flow and rust however. That's probably the one thing owners won't do.

At least for a 1.8 I don't see much that can break other than clutches and gearboxes. It's a pretty simple design by modern designs, probably better for long term reliability it has no turbo. Valve adjustment and PCV valves is about all the other work that the engine might need outside of oil and filter changes. If the engine dies at 200k+ then it'll served it's purpose.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
To rub salt into the wound,hire car tyre warning came on had a look front offside one low,got compressor out and blew it up down again,visit to tyre place took it off nail right through tread and out through sidewall,can’t repair it and I don’t want to pay for one on a car that’s not mine.
Anyone know what the procedure is here?.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Contact the hire company, they usually have contracts in place for tyre replacement. Failing that, contact the insurance company, they'll arrange recovery for the vehicle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Contact the hire company, they usually have contracts in place for tyre replacement. Failing that, contact the insurance company, they'll arrange recovery for the vehicle.
Thanks for the reply,I’ve read Enterprise are the worst company to deal with ever on this.
Getting close to hanging up the towel.

·
i-Vtec
4,862 Posts
I cant believe they are allowing you as long in a hire car tbh. Most say the minute your car is written off you wont get a hire vehicle. Another get out cheap clause built in to most insurance companies Mantra's. Its a great price for your car too, wish someone would run into mine lol.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My company has a contract with enterprise so we usually get good service from them, never used them privately though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Looks like I’m liable for tyre even though it could have had nail in before I took it.suppose tyres will be checked on return and it looks like these are £145 each,this is turning into a costly venture.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,738 Posts
I would pump it up 3mins before you drop the car back off. They look over it then it’s their issue. Don’t inform them, because they supposed to check over it before. They might off known and trying to pul a fast one. Enterprise are poor unless you are a some type of dealership/company, staff has massive turn over and don’t give a sh1te.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Lol saturate it with moose so it possibility stays inflated for that bit longer. Although if they blame you for it they might bill you extra :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Test driving a 1.5 turbo tomorrow but some reviews on here are slightly off putting,any decent suggestions for an alternative vehicle.looked at Audi and BMW always tarred with the driven by tw#ts syndrome though.
Thoughts on golf or seat got the corsa new version and it doesn’t seem too bad.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
What's your budget and needs?

IMO Golf barely has a better image than the German prestige. The R is especially bad but I would have a GTi...

·
Registered
569 Posts
What's your budget and needs?

IMO Golf barely has a better image than the German prestige. The R is especially bad but I would have a GTi...
Why don't you like the R out of interest? I'm sure that got better reviews than the 8V RS3

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Why don't you like the R out of interest? I'm sure that got better reviews than the 8V RS3
Dunno, it's technically brilliant but I've only ever known of them being stolen or driven by lunatics...

A Stage 1 Golf R is probably one of the fastest real world cars money can buy, I just don't like it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Dunno, it's technically brilliant but I've only ever known of them being stolen or driven by lunatics...

A Stage 1 Golf R is probably one of the fastest real world cars money can buy, I just don't like it.
Agreed - got one near me, DSG with a non-res cutback. Pretty sure he had an Audi A3 3.2 V6 before... he was still a numpty in that but it sounded superb. I had the S3 with a stage 1 with s-tronic gearbox map(same engine as the R), was a lot of fun (and I wasn't too much of a numpty :)

Reactions: Negativvv

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'd take an older R32 because they sound pretty good although not the best V6 I've heard... Prob the same one in the 3.2 Audi.

I saw an R32 give a Police Van the middle finger on a London ring road (A406) and just disappeared into the distance :ROFLMAO:

Another issue with VAG cars is they all use the same engine. I had a 1.8t 20V Skoda Octavia vRS years ago. That engine ended up in everything and that VAG trend hasn't changed. Everything uses that 2.0 T lump.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts