2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently got some LED Bulbs off my brother for my Civic 8G.

Everytime I'm driving I feel like they are aiming too high and most likely in other drivers faces.

I've tried adjusting using the allen key thing on the headlight but don't see much difference and have also turned the switch to 3? How many times do I have to turn the allen key? Does it keep going down forever or stop at a certain point? The beam does look a little lower but It seems like it's still in the sky. I think I also got flashed for the first time today by some SUV driver whilst on the way home.

Any help on this? I don't mind halogen but just prefer having the white look instead. Maybe the bulbs are too bright? I was thinking of tinting the headlights so it'll be a little darker for other drivers. My brother said they were 35w or something so don't know if it's too crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
You'll have difficulty, as the 8G Uses reflector dishes - This means the focus of the light is all down to the shape and size of the light source - As it's an LED bulb; it'll differ from the original halogen emitter shape - Have a look at my post here: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/lights-8g/416800-hid-mot-fail-guilty.html#post5419364 - That should give you an idea what's happening.

It may be possible to improve the beam output you get; If there is an adjuster on the bulb itself, you should be able to rotate the LED to be vertical, like this:

If you can adjust the bulb like that, give it a go - It could help to put a halogen in the other side so you know how it should look. As you've also changed your alignment using the headlight screw, you'll need to re-align it as well, or you'll be over dipped worsening your overall vision.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Just take the LEDs out and put a high brightness halogen back in... Anything other than a halogen in a reflector designed for a halogen will be crap in terms on light focus and cut off and will be blinding other drivers with bad alignment or scatter...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll have difficulty, as the 8G Uses reflector dishes - This means the focus of the light is all down to the shape and size of the light source - As it's an LED bulb; it'll differ from the original halogen emitter shape - Have a look at my post here: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/lights-8g/416800-hid-mot-fail-guilty.html#post5419364 - That should give you an idea what's happening.

It may be possible to improve the beam output you get; If there is an adjuster on the bulb itself, you should be able to rotate the LED to be vertical, like this:

If you can adjust the bulb like that, give it a go - It could help to put a halogen in the other side so you know how it should look. As you've also changed your alignment using the headlight screw, you'll need to re-align it as well, or you'll be over dipped worsening your overall vision.

Thanks. I will give it a try. They're currently at a 45 degree angle at the moment so will move them to 90 if I can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just take the LEDs out and put a high brightness halogen back in... Anything other than a halogen in a reflector designed for a halogen will be crap in terms on light focus and cut off and will be blinding other drivers with bad alignment or scatter...

Any idea what is a good halogen bulb? If I do then I'd want the white colour or maybe the ice white? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
If you use a white halogen bulb, they use a blue filter to produce the white light, meaning a large amount of the light is lost - causing them to perform worse than normal halogen bulbs.

For outright performance, look at osram night breaker laser bulbs.

They are full performance bulbs, but they also have partial blue filtering which will slightly whiten the light output, whilst maintaining performance.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you use a white halogen bulb, they use a blue filter to produce the white light, meaning a large amount of the light is lost - causing them to perform worse than normal halogen bulbs.

For outright performance, look at osram night breaker laser bulbs.

They are full performance bulbs, but they also have partial blue filtering which will slightly whiten the light output, whilst maintaining performance.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks, will have a look for some. I will keep the LED for a month and see what happens. If I still get flashed or whatever then I will change back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
we have the same problem. i have replaced my original low beam light to LED, which aim so high. i have adjusted it last night from the screw, it seems doesn't help. what method do you use to fix your problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a pretty selfish way of checking your headlight alignment.:surprise:

Sorry, I have adjusted them all the way down though. Have had nobody flash me yet. But sometimes I will turn them dim if coming over a hill or anything so people don't get blinded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we have the same problem. i have replaced my original low beam light to LED, which aim so high. i have adjusted it last night from the screw, it seems doesn't help. what method do you use to fix your problem?

Yeah I can tell mine is still scattering highish. But I just adjusted them all the way down + adjusted the dial to 3 in the car, then sorta adjusted them more to the left so the light shines more towards the pavement rather than towards the cars on the opposite side. It would be great if someone could drive my car and I drive there's and see if it shines as bad as it does. If it does then I don't mind changing them back.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Have you changed the orientation of the diodes to match the pictures above?

By adjusting the reflector bowl, you're doing yourself a disservice (Position 3, Lower and to the left) - As now, the light is focusing to the far bottom left, and the road that you want to be illuminated is just lit by the scatter.

If you have changed the diodes as per the images above, and you're still getting scatter that bad, I'd give up on it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts