2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up...

Cost me £1000 for a year on a E46 BMW M3 55 plate. Most insurance companies told me they were high write off rate vehicles so they wouldn't touch me, i was surprised at it being £1k to be fair.

11 months in & i swap to an Impreza WRX STi 2004. Costs me £65~ to change my vehicle(I was told my insurance wouldn't go up), was told it was a Vehicle change fee. (Woman on the phone the 2nd time has actually said that my year insurance went up by £500 when i added it on but because it was close to the end it cost me just a small amount.)

Renewal comes through, 1 year NCB extra, lower value car, AWD, Lower BHP etc. However it has coil overs (cost me NOTHING on my civic) and a few other bits and bobs which DOESN'T improve the power.

Yet they are asking me for £1,735 with an £800 Excess. I'm 26 (nearly 27), I have a clean licence & 7 years NCB.

But apparently they looked into it and can do me it for £1,400, why not send me a renewal for this price rather than £1,735???

I think I'll avoid them from now on. I think that's pretty piss poor to be honest!

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Tbh all insurance companies give you a stupid renewal in case you just can't be bothered to shop about or in the hope you forget and they can auto renew it. I go with someone new every year and they always try it on when my renewal comes through.

·
SHOCKD
4,351 Posts
Tbh all insurance companies give you a stupid renewal in case you just can't be bothered to shop about or in the hope you forget and they can auto renew it. I go with someone new every year and they always try it on when my renewal comes through.

+1

Shop about a bit and dedicate an afternoon to ringing up companies comparing quotes and play them off eachother

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i completely understand that they all try it. I've known a couple of people who have let their insurance renew year after year without ever looking. Absolutely mental, wasn't even in a position to not care about money either!

I didn't expect a bargain renewal, however i think putting the current insurance from £1,000 to £1,500 is a piss take! What warrants that? I was always being told by insurance companies that the M3 was a really bad car to insure due to thefts, write offs, high power RWD etc

As for it going from £1,000 to £1,500 from just a change of car and then further onto £1,735, that baffled me even more.

A WRX STi on comparison sites for me atm is coming in at around £600-700 fully comp with £350ish total excess.

I done a quote on my civic when i owned one & it came up as around £800 on my 2nd year. I was with Greenlight. I declared all my mods which were: Coilovers, Rep mugen wing, front & rear GP splitters, 19'' rages, HKS RSK, carbon bonnet & Milltek catback. The price after declaring them all? £800. Thats what we want! ;)

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I got a cheaper quote declaring my mods with Adrian flux, Chris knott, Brent Acre by about £100 than the comparison sites could do with no mods? How's that work lol. Then they wanted double with a few mods lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn't suprise me if you go on their website for a quote it is cheaper than your renewal even with same details

Well when i rang them up and all of a sudden they could get it for £1,400 was a pretty good laugh. So maybe! haha.

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So in the end greenlight were the easiest to deal with and one of the few who would actually quote me.

WRX STi PPP seems like it's a nightmare to insure. Most normal insurers see the 261-300~ BHP jump as a major modification & wouldn't touch me.

In the end i've one extra year NCB v's last year & managed to save £65 on my previous year insurance on the M3.

Not great, but certainly better than £1,735 / £1,400.

I guess greenlight deserve a thumbs up... [smilie=thumbup.gif]

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Just a heads up...

Cost me £1000 for a year on a E46 BMW M3 55 plate. Most insurance companies told me they were high write off rate vehicles so they wouldn't touch me, i was surprised at it being £1k to be fair.

11 months in & i swap to an Impreza WRX STi 2004. Costs me £65~ to change my vehicle(I was told my insurance wouldn't go up), was told it was a Vehicle change fee. (Woman on the phone the 2nd time has actually said that my year insurance went up by £500 when i added it on but because it was close to the end it cost me just a small amount.)

Renewal comes through, 1 year NCB extra, lower value car, AWD, Lower BHP etc. However it has coil overs (cost me NOTHING on my civic) and a few other bits and bobs which DOESN'T improve the power.

Yet they are asking me for £1,735 with an £800 Excess. I'm 26 (nearly 27), I have a clean licence & 7 years NCB.

But apparently they looked into it and can do me it for £1,400, why not send me a renewal for this price rather than £1,735???

I think I'll avoid them from now on. I think that's pretty piss poor to be honest!
that's a joke full stop and yes I know it's a fast car and your younger than me but for £26k of tourer at 38 for 2 named drivers with full business insurance and a £250 excess full comp we pay £200 after I had a £55 refund from swapping the insurance from the ctr

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
Check who you're actually insured with because greenlight are basically brokers and mainly deal with Adrian flux or marker study, so in a roundabout way you may still be with Adrian flux

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Sounds like they're playing you on, albiet an STI will always be a stereotypically high risk car to insure, having come from an M3 those numbers just don't add up. For a lesser extreme comparison when I came to renew my FN2's insurance with admiral for the day before trading in for my 335i the initial renewal was £670 @ 24 with 3 years no claims and it only went up to £740 despite the residual car value & performance increase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts