2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st tyre change on my Type S GT is soon due. My fronts need to be replaced. They had the Bridgestone Turanza ER 300 225/45 R17 91Y that the car was made with on. I bought it nearly new. Currently I'm at about 12-14k miles.

Currently trying to decide between Bridgestone Turanza ER 300 Ecopia 225/45 R17 91W & Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA 225/45 ZR17 94Y XL with rim protection ridge
They are £88.20 & £80.50 delivered from mytyres.com

Generally I use the Type S for short commuting, shops and the occasional long trip >200 miles. I have a trip to Germany and back planned hence the tyre change.

Not a speed demon, liked how the current tyres ran. Main considerations are tyre cost, fuel economy, tyre wear, noise, ride comfort & grip (in that order).

Any advice? Anyone tried the Ecopia Turanza's? I was seriously considering the Vredestein until I saw the Turanza's have a better tyre rating

Baldrick

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi

I have the Vredestein on my Type S 1.8.... They grip really well wet or dry but do seem to tramline a little.... I have only had the car for 5 weeks so can not compare to a different tyre manufacturer on the civic but they do seem pretty good..... Certainly less tyre noise than the Michelins fitted to the rear...

On the wife's VW I have Continental Super Contact 2's which are absoloutely brilliant come rain or shine... You could see how much they are.... I will be trying them when I wear out mine... Just pray it does not snow though as it would not even move in the bad weather we had....:D

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
I've only ever had the best spec. Michelins I could find, on all my cars, over the last 20+ years ...

Great stopping power in an emergency - however the Continental Super Contact 2 has had a very good write-up here - not bothered about Winter, as here we change wheels and tyres to Snow \ Ice versions ...

·
Living the dream!
8,545 Posts
I have had 4 x Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA 225/45/17 on our Auris since Nov 09 when I also got Toyota to do 4 wheel laser alignment, what I will say is they are a great tyre and loads of grip even in the wet and give out no road noise to what I can notice. Would I buy them again? sadly I dont think I will as after around 6k I have rotated the fronts to the rear as otherwise at 10k I suspect they will be worn out and with the life being what appears poor I will wear all 4 out and swap all 4 together.

I will also say with the same rotation trick at 17k the original Dunlops that did 28k and was good for another 3-5k until my wife drove the car on a flat.

·
Living the dream!
8,545 Posts
I was seriously considering the Vredestein until I saw the Turanza's have a better tyre rating

Baldrick
The funny thing is the Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA 225/45/17 have a wear rating of 280 yet the Dunlop SP Sport 01 that was fitted to the car before have a wear rating of 280.

Results of tyres fitted to same car and 4 wheel laser alignment was done by the main dealer

Dunlops lasted around 28k and had around 3-5k left until driven on flat tyre

Vredestein front half worn after 5k and suspect all 4 will be worn out with tyre rotation to make them last longer after 14k max.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Fitted Vredestein to the front of my 2.2 Civic after reading the excellent independent reviews. Very happy with them.

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
i currently have Bridgestone Potenza 3's on now, and i am not impressed with the treadwear life. previously had Pirelli PZeros and loved them. will be getting Pirelli from here on out. have you considered the Pirelli PZero?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had the tire warning light come on on the dash so decided to get the tires changed quickly!

Went to Formula1 auto centres and they pointed out the rear was flat as well with a screw in it! (I had checked all round when the tire warning light came on and checked pressure. The tire was a bit low on pressure but not too much)

Doh![smilie=pissedoff.g:

3 tires to change and as they had limited stock I ended up with Pirelli P6000 on the front & Bridgestone on the rear. (Keeping, almost, matched Bridgestones on the rear)

Will report back on how the P6000s fair...

However deal from Formula 1 autocentres each tyre was around £86.50 fitted!

·
Registered
414 Posts
ive just had delivered 4 x Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA 225/40/18 to replace my Mich PS2's after reading loads and loads of reviews from various car forums and everyone rates them as good if not better than Mich PS2's, so as soon as i have them fitted and have done a few miles on them i can comment on them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts