2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I've had my milano red civic si diesel for around 3 months now (it's a year old) and on washing it today I noticed the dreaded swirl marks.

Now, being a complete novice at cleaning cars I normally go for the easy all in one shampoo and wax, wheel clean and then rinse off option. On discovering the swirl marks, I wanted to give it a total refresh to get it as good as new.

On researching a few methods I now gather that there are a few stages in getting the best from a wash/polish. I'm thinking shampoo, clay treatment, polish and then sealant, and same for the wheels.

Can anyone recommend a process (with any products) from start to finish, and any tips I may need to carry it out.

It just dawned on me that after being warned about maintaining red paint, i've not really gave the car TLC it deserves.

I've already purchased Meguiar's Quik Clay Starter Kit, Bilberry wheel cleaner & poorboy sealant with some mitts and towels. I'd imagine a good decent shampoo won't be hard to find, but i'm rather confused with regards to polish and then sealant, especially when it comes to the delicate red finish on my civic.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
There are 3 products that I would use
Polish...GTechnik P1 ..Great on soft paint by hand
Wipe Down after with IPA (Alcohol)
Poorboys Black Hole Glaze..to enhance the Shine
Poorboys EX-P Sealer
OR
Wax..Many to choose from

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
Hi.

I've had my milano red civic si diesel for around 3 months now (it's a year old) and on washing it today I noticed the dreaded swirl marks. Welcome to swirl city :p

Now, being a complete novice at cleaning cars I normally go for the easy all in one shampoo and wax, wheel clean and then rinse off option. On discovering the swirl marks, I wanted to give it a total refresh to get it as good as new.

On researching a few methods I now gather that there are a few stages in getting the best from a wash/polish. I'm thinking shampoo, clay treatment, polish and then sealant, and same for the wheels. +1 and you can add a glaze before wax/ sealant to give you wet look and more shine

Can anyone recommend a process (with any products) from start to finish, and any tips I may need to carry it out.

my process would be.

Pre wash car with foam and some APC

Then washing with 2 bucket method using a citrus based shampoo like
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash+Gloss (16oz) - Shinearama . Great shampoo, value for money, lovely smell, great lubricity, good cleaning properties but not for daily use as it affects beading and sheeting.

Or you can wash it with Carpro IronX Soap Gel (50ml) - Shinearama to wash and remove iron contamination same time. IMO the sample size is all you need because its a preperation shampoo and you dont have to spend more money and rest of the money can be invested in a more regular shampoo like

Britemax CLEAN MAX pH Balanced Car Shampoo (32oz) - Shinearama

Zaino Z-7 Show Car Wash (16oz) - Shinearama

Prima Mystique - Auto Wash (16oz) - Shinearama

Use a tar remover in lover parts and rims to remove tar.

Valet Pro Citrus Tar & Glue Remover (500ml) - Shinearama

Clay the car with your Megs clay kit and surface is ready for polishing.

If you have a machine polisher is easier for you. If you dont you can remove light swirls by hand using GTechniq P1 Nanocomposite Polish (100ml) - Shinearama with an applicator Zaino Tri-foam applicator pad (single) - Shinearama

If you find it hard to polish whole car by hand you can mask the swirls filling them using Poorboy's Black Hole Show Glaze (16oz) - Shinearama or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (325ml) - Shinearama I would choose Poor Boys because you already have their sealant and believe it gives more wet look than SRP.

If you choose polishing instead of masking you can use a glaze to give car rich colour and wet look.

Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze (16oz) - Shinearama

Prima Amigo - Cleaner Glaze (16oz) - Shinearama

or even poor boys black hole glaze

After glaze you can apply your sealant. A also like wash by wash to put some quick detailer because it gives a more glossy finish and a small protection too. Poorboy's QD+ Quick Detailer Plus (32oz) - Shinearama

It just dawned on me that after being warned about maintaining red paint, i've not really gave the car TLC it deserves.

I've already purchased Meguiar's Quik Clay Starter Kit, Bilberry wheel cleaner & poorboy sealant with some mitts and towels. I'd imagine a good decent shampoo won't be hard to find, but i'm rather confused with regards to polish and then sealant, especially when it comes to the delicate red finish on my civic. +1 red is very difficult

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Hope I helped you and not confused you more. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replys. Much appreciated :). A bit for me to consider product wise. I'm not looking to spend an absolute fortune, just enough to get the job done.

So my stages are shampoo > clay > polish > glaze > sealant?

See when you say sealant or wax, I take it you can't use both?

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
You can use them both but wax have to applied after sealant. You have to be carefull with curing times and remember that putting more products doesn't mean you ll take more shine. What wax you ve got?

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
Thanks guys for the replys. Much appreciated :). A bit for me to consider product wise. I'm not looking to spend an absolute fortune, just enough to get the job done.

So my stages are shampoo > clay > polish > glaze > sealant?

See when you say sealant or wax, I take it you can't use both?
That's it, i'd also wash between the clay & polish stage. IMO wax OR sealant.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I am in a similar situation with my Milano, never really had the time or patience to give a car more then just a wash before!

I am just ordering some clay and wax now. Currently i wash - polish - Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. Is the Gloss Protection what you guys are calling a glaze? If so is it ok to use this before waxing?

For the wax i was thinking the Collinite Super Double Double Coat from shinearama...?

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
I am in a similar situation with my Milano, never really had the time or patience to give a car more then just a wash before!

I am just ordering some clay and wax now. Currently i wash - polish - Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. Is the Gloss Protection what you guys are calling a glaze? If so is it ok to use this before waxing?

For the wax i was thinking the Collinite Super Double Double Coat from shinearama...?
From what I understand AG EGP is the LSP & AG say you don't put anything on top of it. I was told by AG to use AGSRP first then EGP, then nothing else.

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?Range=99&v06VQ=FH

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can use them both but wax have to applied after sealant. You have to be carefull with curing times and remember that putting more products doesn't mean you ll take more shine. What wax you ve got?
I don't have any yet. Don't know whether to get sealant or wax. I may have to do some more reading to see exactly what I want. Don't think i'll use both for cost reasons.

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
A good product for red color would be that. No personal experience but looks ace

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
There are 3 products that I would use
Polish...GTechnik P1 ..Great on soft paint by hand
Wipe Down after with IPA (Alcohol)
Poorboys Black Hole Glaze..to enhance the Shine
Poorboys EX-P Sealer
OR
Wax..Many to choose from
Just a quick question about using IPA after polishing, what are the advantages of doing this? Have seen it mentioned a few times on previous threads, also do you use just a normal IPA? And if it is worth doing where would I get it from?

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I take it it's just sprayed on, then wiped off with an applicator/microfibre?

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.