2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My first post in this great looking forum. I am looking at purchasing a car for doing a lot of business miles on, I would like to spend under £5000 and have high mpg, good build quality and sensible running costs without sacrificing driver enjoyment. That criteria has narrowed my choice down to just a few cars such as the Golf 2.0 TDI, Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI, A3 2.0 TDI and of course the Civic. I have also looked at BMW 120D but they are a bit out of budget and will probably cost more to maintain in the long run.

I have now decided that, for the money, I don't there is anything as good as a Civic 2.2. It seems to have the most torque in its class at this price, the best fuel economy, the best kit and of course it SHOULD be ultra-reliable.

It looks like there are a few EX's on the market, which should hopefully be easier to sell and have the most kit, so that's what I'm probably going to go for.

So, my question to you folks is, what do you recommend I look out for on a Civic that has put on well past 100k miles? Is there anything that I should be avoiding?

Haven't bought a used car in AGES so need all the help I can get.

Cheers
-Andersinho (Pete)

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I bought a 113k 2.2 civic ex about 8 months ago, it had a new clutch fitted, apart from needing the front bump stops on the shockers re seated and new pads and discs to the rear, it drives like new....go for it bud

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So looks like I should at the very least see when the clutch has been replaced, if at all. How much is a new clutch if it needs one?

@julioarca what kind of mpg are you getting from it and how do you drive it?

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
My Civic has done 150k and drives like new.

Listen to the others, clutch, bump stops and make sure there is a comprehensive FSH with it (preferably full dealer), you should be ok. Remember to listen to and check everything carefully and use your gut if something dont sound or seem right just leave it as there are plenty about!

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
If I drive economically I can get 50-52 mpg, just being to Sunderland today for footy, 80-85 ish on motorway, 2.5 - 3.0 rpm rev changes, good torque pulls, ave today of 48mpg

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
I knew you must be a Sunderland man with the legendary julioarca as your name, sorry to thread jack but what an epic way to beat City today last minute.
As a man of the Red and White army myself I have to say I miss the legendary no 33!

There was however a little bit of me that always prayed you were the man himself haha!

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
PS: Pete over the last 2 months I have done 4500miles in my 2.2 my average for this is 43.5mpg this is a mix of commuting, motorway runs and country lane blasts!

I have done 300miles (about 210 motorways) today to get back to my 'work home' cruising at 75mph and the computer is showing an average of 51.8mpg which isnt bad considering there are a massive amount of fun country lanes on the way!

Personally I think the official figures are a way out but driven sensibly expect between 45-55mpg dependant upon whether you are on Motorways or A roads mostly, I have had mine down to about 38mpg once but I was being ridiculous!

Cox are doing the uprated clutch fitted at about 470 at the moment which is spot on :)

Good luck with the hunt mate, there are plenty about and plenty of crackers! Try and find one with 17" or 18" alloys, its a transformation in handling from the 16"s

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't wait to have some decent economy. I had a Civic 1.8 coupe in Canada for a while, it was a great car to drive but was really down on the power and the mpg (or l/100km!) was rubbish.

Will that uprated clutch support a remap too? Not sure I'd do it or not, but the torque gains look pretty impressive for the price.

I will keep you all updated on my search. Won't be looking at one until the end of the month anyway.

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
I personally cannot vouch for this clutch holding it BUT I read that many have this and its improved a lot! Coste1l is your man for all that sort of thing, he seems to be the man in the know!
I read that lots have used this uprated clutch (325?) and its holding up much better, I have it and I will be risking the remap when cash allows, 190+bhp and well over 300nm torque why not risk it!

Get plenty of shopping around done and I am sure you'll find a cracker! Enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well thanks for the messages guys. I will try to get my hands on a mint example if I can. Will post some pics etc when I do.

I'll leave the hypothetical tuning talk til when I get the car. Although 190hp and 300 lb ft torque is hard to NOT think about! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.