2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a new member to the forum, although I do not currently own an FN2R at the moment, I will be looking to get one in the summer. I have joined the forum to hopefully get some advice and opinions on what to look out for when buying so I can hopefully bag myself a good deal with no nasty surprises.

Having had a look around on the forum I have noticed quite a bit of chat about recalls on the FN2 for various reasons depending on the year. It would be great if some current owners could clarify what I should look out for each year and pass on any advice or experiences they have had when buying.

Also what years were any updates or extras added?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
317 Posts
No advice on recalls or wot like that, but get yourself a CW one n then you won't have to buy an LSD seperatley!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you can get a champ white one go for it I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago great car and looks amazing (when clean)I went from an ep3 type r to this and more than happy with it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No advice on recalls or wot like that, but get yourself a CW one n then you won't have to buy an LSD seperatley!!
I would like to as they look great but think a decent one might be a bit out of my budget, they seem to go for 12k+ I was hoping to spend no more than 10k as it seems a good example can be had for even less than 10k, il keep that in mind though, cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you can get a champ white one go for it I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago great car and looks amazing (when clean)I went from an ep3 type r to this and more than happy with it
I had thought about getting a premier EP3 but I prefer the styling and interior of the FN2, although I havent driven either yet so I can't comment on how they drive.

I own a yaris t sport at the minute so either would be a good step up haha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked my 59 plate up 2 months ago with 30k on the clock for £9750
seems like a good deal, was that a private or trade sale? Im a bit wary about buying such a valuable car private so I think im going to try and find a good deal from a garage.

Im hoping to get at on 08 onwards with no more than 30k within my budget

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2008 fn2 gt Milano red with 9000 miles for £10000 for sale My advert is in the for sale section

And welcome

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2008 fn2 gt Milano red with 9000 miles for £10000 for sale My advert is in the for sale section

And welcome
that's low mileage!

Im not looking to buy until the summer as am going to wait until I have 2 years driving (the insurance is far cheaper). I'm just keen to find out the now what I should be looking out for.

Thanks anyway and good luck with the sale

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
seems like a good deal, was that a private or trade sale? Im a bit wary about buying such a valuable car private so I think im going to try and find a good deal from a garage.

Im hoping to get at on 08 onwards with no more than 30k within my budget
Trade ! I was impressed, still under Honda UK warranty til september.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trade ! I was impressed, still under Honda UK warranty til september.
yeah that is a great deal, just shows there are good deals out there to be had. Take it that was a independent dealer and not franchised? Franchised dealers usually charge over the odds from what iv seen

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
One thing to consider is whether you are going to modify your Type R when you get it. If so it may work out cheaper to but a well cared for example off a member on a forum such a civinfo which has the mods on that you want. It could save you big money in the future.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing to consider is whether you are going to modify your Type R when you get it. If so it may work out cheaper to but a well cared for example off a member on a forum such a civinfo which has the mods on that you want. It could save you big money in the future.:)
I will keep that in mind, although I think I would like to buy a standard one so I can get the mods I want. I don't have any major plans maybe just intake, cat-back and hondata, depends on money.

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
Most of the recall work should have been done across the range mate if your not sure you can always pop the vin number on the honda web site and will tell you if there is any recall work needed to be done on it.

Loads of examples now on the second hand market the LSD and HID's are a plus on the later models and also came with the AUX port in the arm rest

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of the recall work should have been done across the range mate if your not sure you can always pop the vin number on the honda web site and will tell you if there is any recall work needed to be done on it.

Loads of examples now on the second hand market the LSD and HID's are a plus on the later models and also came with the AUX port in the arm rest
Ahh never knew you could do that on the website cheers.

Am I right in saying LSD is only standard on 2011+, HID'S are 09+. What year is it the AUX port standard? I thought all GT's had an AUX port.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Rust on top of doors, pull back rubber seal to inspect.
Rust around top edge of windscreen due to window seal being too tight.
Unsmooth action to clutch pedal, groan,creaking noises when on biting point. Clutch master cylinder replacement needed.
Clicking noise from front suspension when moving on full lock, going over a bump, braking. Front subframe needs to be cleaned and regreased.
Corroding alloys.

They are the problems i've had with mine all dealt with under warranty by Honda.

·
Registered
307 Posts
..and if it does crunch in 3rd either walk away or make em fix it before you buy it.

whilst a crunchy 3rd gear isn't good news, it is easily fixable with a replacement synch (expensive but the dealer / Honda will cover the cost)

i paid £8980 for mine, 36k on the clock BUT it had a crunchy 3rd gear...i could have walked away but the car was in such good condition i just made them fix the gear under their warranty.

car / gears has been perfect in the 7months i have had it....very underrated cars actually with some bad rep on the internet by people who have never actually owned one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts