2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice please guys.

I currently have a Milltek cat. back with stock header/cat. At some point in the future I'm wanting a 4-2-1 manifold.. either CPL or Tegiwa, but with the Milltek it's simply gonna be too loud. There are several ways of reducing the noise with varying performance results. Take a look at the options below and give me your opinions, bearing in mind I'm more interested in mid-range power as opposed to peak gains, but the main concern is volume!

1/ Keep the Milltek, fit a header and have a 300/400 cell cat. cut in (TDI recommended). This should get me through MOT's but I've not seen this setup so I'm unsure how it'll sound or how loud it would be. Plus it'll be costly.

2/ Fit a header, sell the Milltek and replace with stock (CPL recommended). This should keep the noise down while improving the mid-range, but it could be tricky getting an MOT.

3/ Keep the current setup. It's not achieving potential but it sounds good and passes MOT's

Whatever I go for it will be setup with a custom map.

TIA :)

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
I have a millten non res with a cpl race header, it is loud when you start the car cold as the engine sits above 1k to warm itself up, but after that it's not that bad.

On motorways if your hovering around the vtec zone you get a lot of drone, but overally i wouldn't say its too loud.

I mean you look at those chavvy citroen saxos that sound ridiculous it's nothing like that.

When you gun it, it sounds awesome because your car has the speed to back up the noise.

However if you really don't want much noise at all then just stick to what you have.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate :)

I'm swaying towards the second option. I'll get the mid gains and a quiet system but I'll have to find an understanding MOT station.

I could just take the risk and keep the Milltek and get the manifold, but..

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
I've got to say the Milltek and Tegiwa manifold isnt that loud at all! Although I was used to a Martelius and mani for a while...

In fact it isnt half as loud as the HKS intake is. It just makes this nice "fizzing" sound lol!

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you already have the miltek fitted then why not get your header fitted and see how loud it is. You can look at changing the exhaust if it is an issue afterwards.
The main reason is that I was planning on having the header fitted at the same time as the remap, therefore it would need mapping again if I swapped.

I guess I could get the header and bung it on myself to see how loud it is, but I don't like the idea of running round with both on a stock map.

I've got to say the Milltek and Tegiwa manifold isnt that loud at all! Although I was used to a Martelius and mani for a while...

In fact it isnt half as loud as the HKS intake is. It just makes this nice "fizzing" sound lol!
I guess it relative. I just don't want to end up with this..

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would only need another remap if you put a cat back on. Putting the standard exhaust back on won't make much difference to the car's performance.
That's what CPL said. Maybe that's the way to go then. Should imagine I'll get it passed somewhere.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Would you not consider a change to the Tegiwa exhaust? isnt that quieter still??

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would you not consider a change to the Tegiwa exhaust? isnt that quieter still??
I've not seen that one mate. Still, I've got both the stock and the Milltek so it'll be either/or. It's sounding like it'll be a return to stock, especially if there ain't much to be gained from the Milltek

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you get a manifold and a map, you could then change your catback without a map. My car was mapped with a HKS RSK and now i have a standard box back on, my car is running almost identical. I ran 14.4 at santa pod
ooh, that's something I'd not thought of. So you have a race header, HKS system and a stock backbox. I'd love to know how that sounds ;) Don't suppose you have a vid/audio?

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
I've not seen that one mate. Still, I've got both the stock and the Milltek so it'll be either/or. It's sounding like it'll be a return to stock, especially if there ain't much to be gained from the Milltek
To be honest, having seen the squashes in the OEM system there must be a good gain throughout the rev range on the Milltek, its pipe is round throughout..

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah they're squashed pretty good ain't they :lol:

If there is little to no difference swapping back to stock it make sense to get it setup with the Milltek and see what I think. Swap to stock if required.

Unless anyone else has anything to add I think that's it for now. All I need to do is sell my telescope and I'll have the funds! Don't suppose there are any astronomers here looking for a Celestron C11?? :D

Cheers all :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I can say that Milltek is dead after 2 year of usage. I'm one of the example, and know second person as well. The end muffler rings like you put on this muffler a kind of metal ball which is hitting muffler wall.

Now I'm replacing this exhaust, cause it's ringing like hell.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I can say that Milltek is dead after 2 year of usage. I'm one of the example, and know second person as well. The end muffler rings like you put on this muffler a kind of metal ball which is hitting muffler wall.

Now I'm replacing this exhaust, cause it's ringing like hell.
the exhaust baffles in the back box have blown out after 2yrs? this is very similar to what happens to miltek exhausts on vxrs..

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Yep... Exactly.
Yeah but how much power are you running?? Im sure for a stock FN2 the Milltek would last alot longer!!

Thats why exhausts like Toda have the reputation that they do, I bet a Toda wouldnt have gone by now with more power running through

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Yeah but how much power are you running?? Im sure for a stock FN2 the Milltek would last alot longer!!

Thats why exhausts like Toda have the reputation that they do, I bet a Toda wouldnt have gone by now with more power running through
Depends on quality of materials used...

I'm sure I've read that some toda systems have had issues?

Sent from my iPhone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts